Arrowhead_57
Arrowhead_57 None
4/22/13 8:17 p.m.

Hi all, my first post, unfortunately not under the best of circumstances.

My wife has battled Multiple Sclerosis for years, and it has now progressed to the point where she requires a wheelchair. The doctor says that she will have periods where she can walk relatively pain free, but he has no way of predicating how often or how long these periods of remission will be.

So, we are faced with purchasing a new, or, preferably, well kept used car. I would like something no older than, say, 6-8 years, obviously the newer the better.

My requirements are:

1) ease of ingress/egress

2) cargo space...we have no kids, and currently no pets

3) comfortable...seating, low wind noise on the highway

4) reliable (goes without saying)

5) USB/Bluetooth (would like, if possible)

6) reasonable fuel economy...gas up here in Ontario is $1.30 a litre (so about $5.20/gallon) and the price always jumps in the summer, so potentially $6.00 gallon by June or July.

Here's what I have come up with: Honda Element, Mazda 5, Nissan Cube, Honda Fit, Vibe/Matrix...possibly a Scion xB (although I am not a fan at all, but if you guys tell me that they are the way to go, I would be willing to overlook the hideousness)

I would greatly appreciate any input that you guys could offer, as I am scared out of my mind with my wife getting sicker and really want to make her as comfortable as possible when we need to go somewhere. Thanks.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit HalfDork
4/22/13 8:31 p.m.

Look for used "handy vans" a number of company's have modified mini vans for people with all sorts of issues, they range from simple to full drop deck floors with no driver seats and hand controls. I have worked on a number of them over the years and the amount of thought that is put in to them is very impressive.

With the more modified vans some of your requirements will not be meet, this is the trade off for the easy of uses.

Most people seem to only keep them for a few years and get new van. I am sure the used vans are out there floating around.

Good luck Paul B

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
4/22/13 8:35 p.m.

Scion XB is actually an excellent choice. The ease of ingress/egress is amazing, and well, cargo space like you wouldn't believe. Mazda5 is also a good choice, tons of guys have them here and love them. I can't comment on ingress/egress use on that, I've only driven one once.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit HalfDork
4/22/13 8:38 p.m.

Of all the "handy vans" we worked on the Enter vans had the best conversion, nice welds, good wiring, good emissions.... and very few issues with there mods.

http://www.braunability.com/wheelchair-minivans/entervan/

scottgib
scottgib New Reader
4/22/13 8:44 p.m.

scion XD

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/22/13 10:18 p.m.

Try getting into and out of several different models. If one has a seat height that is easy to slide in and out of without raising/lowering the hips that's your car. Legs are easy (in a sense) for a second person to help with as the "body" doesn't have to move. This makes moving in and out of a wheelchair easier. You want to go left to right, not up and down. Take the chair with you when shopping, even if she is having a good day, to try it out.

Mother of a good friend had MS, I understand where you're coming from. Good luck.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/22/13 10:38 p.m.

My girlfriends (of nearly 5 years) mother has MS, Good luck to her and I wish you all the best.

She is in a Lexus Camry, but I think that they are going to need to sell it soon and replace it with something easier to get into and out of. Actually mostly just out of. Since their budget will allow it and she won't "step down" from a Lexus into something that isn't as prestigious (HUGE eyeroll), I am going to be suggesting the following for them, in no particular order:

• Acura ZDX
  • Toyota Venza
  • Honda Crosstour
  • Subaru Outback (the new bloated ones)
  • Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX
  • Nissan Murano

As much as I dislike pretty much every vehicle on this list for some reason, they should all be pretty good at what you are looking for. Otherwise, the aforementioned cubes should be good as well for ingress/egress. Soul, Element, Xb, Xd, etc.

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 New Reader
4/22/13 10:52 p.m.

My mother has MS and rheumatoid arthritis. Along with some heart problems, she uses a walker on good days. When my parents were looking to get rid of their Plymouth Grand Voyager a few years back, they were looking at every cute ute/CUV on the market and got a Subaru Forrester (late first gen). Front seat height was the biggest thing they were looking at as the Voyager was a bit too high for my mom. The Honda Element was the best fit height wise, but the plastic floors was the killer. So, they ended up with the subie.

Best of luck.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/22/13 11:43 p.m.

What's your price range. I owned a vibe and really liked it. Massive range of seat height adjustments and the cargo area is plentiful and plastic lined. We now own a "bloated" outback. We LOVE it. Massive interior space for a car no heavier and not actually much larger dimensionally than the outgoing model. Rear seat legroom is really good and the cargo area is large. MPG is an honest 24 mpg average with highway runs around 29-30. Price may be a bit higher than the other options you discussed.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/13 9:43 a.m.

not sure if it helps.. My father who has two artificial hips and is looking forwards to operations 7 and 8 (yes, he has gone through 3 sets of hips in almost 35 years) just bought a Volvo XC90 because it was easier for him to get in and out of than his previous car

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
4/23/13 9:46 a.m.

I've seen a first-gen Scion XB modified for wheelchair ingress through the back. Maybe buy one of these and then convert if need be? http://cars.about.com/od/scion/a/ag_xbrampvan.htm

Also, I wish you and your wife the best.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/23/13 10:06 a.m.

I have done a lot of work with handicapped needs people, and part of my business is transporting them.

First off, I am sorry you are in this position, but know that life DOES go on. It will be a bit different, but there is good life ahead.

A mini van is a really obvious choice. I use a Mazda MPV and a 1st gen Honda Odyssey (which actually handles reasonably well).

There is a really important question you didn't quite address (and maybe don't know how to yet). Will she be transferring, or do you need a wheelchair vehicle?

Most MS patients can do transfers reasonably well (most of the time). Plus, the stigma of always being seated in a wheelchair is a tough one to get over mentally. This would mean seat height, door opening, and cargo space for the chair matter.

But if a wheelchair vehicle is needed (now, or in the future), the smallest thing you will be able to use is a minivan, and a raised roof unit works best.

Aussie drives handicapped (ambulatory) patients in a Hyundai Elantra. There is a LOT of space in them.

Don't overlook the minivans.

Hang in there!

Hal
Hal Dork
4/23/13 7:07 p.m.

Just a suggestion. Seat height might be a bit high, but it would be wheelchair convertible.

Arrowhead_57
Arrowhead_57 New Reader
4/25/13 8:20 p.m.

I truly can't thank everyone who responded enough, lots of good advice, and also some points where brought up that didn't even occur to me.

This has happened so fast and so unexpectedly, I'm still in a bit of a daze. Gearheadotaku brought up a great point, in that seat height is most likely going to be the most important factor. We probably have a lot of shopping ahead of us, when she is feeling up to it, and we will definetly need to take her chair.

I'm starting to think a car with a bench seat might be easiest, but I guess we will have to find one...only one I can think of is an Impala or older Lesabre/Park Avenue. I know I don't want a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. Minivans haven't really been on the radar because they aren't so mini, and all of them, to my knowledge, are gas hogs.

Thanks again for all the responses.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
4/25/13 8:28 p.m.

http://www.autoadapt.com/produkter/lastsakr/produkter/roofsp.html

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ka9MMONrKiLvOfZwPrgVwA2c3HHjKkwnUz34wj5yHbf9CpAmaQLljoXmK4zAUT3B