Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/12/22 2:51 p.m.

I need to do some brake work,  front rotors and pads on the Ralliart, all four on the civic, and grease the sliders on the Miata.

The Miata gets used for auto cross, and the civic is mostly a daily but will get tracked a little bit too.

I need some thing that's going to withstand heat. Just running autocross here in the summertime the brakes can get pretty hot, and the tiny brakes on the civic will definitely heat up at the Firm. 

It would be nice to get something I could pick up from the FLAPS.  

What's the consensus?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/12/22 3:05 p.m.

Actual picture from my actual garage cabinet.  I've had it a long time.  I know I used it on the 2016 Challenge car.  I'm sure its a lifetime supply.  All my cars have been happy with it.  Should be available anywhere.  Amazon $24  That seems high (but gas is also $5)

6/12/22 3:48 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Actual picture from my actual garage cabinet.  I've had it a long time.  I know I used it on the 2016 Challenge car.  I'm sure its a lifetime supply.  All my cars have been happy with it.  Should be available anywhere.  Amazon $24  That seems high (but gas is also $5)

How's that go?

"Support the companies that support Grassroots Motorsports."

I'm done here, thanks for the reply.

Folgers
Folgers Reader
6/12/22 6:23 p.m.

I’ve always have used sil glyde, with good results. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/22 7:10 p.m.

I use the CRC stuff for daily drivers and Honda Molykote M-77 for anything that's going to see high heat. 

The price of the M-77 has come way down. It was crazy expensive back in the 80s. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/12/22 7:50 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
John Welsh said:

How's that go?

"Support the companies that support Grassroots Motorsports."

I'm done here, thanks for the reply.

I've used the same stuff for years.  Seems to hold up well to track use on my Miata.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/12/22 8:19 p.m.

Am I the only one who just uses regular old axle grease?

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/22 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Nope. Never had an issue with it. Even on the Lemons cars.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/12/22 9:42 p.m.

Another vote for the provocatively named Sil-Glyde.  Been using it for decades.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage/N3223/large/10607939_ags_sg4_pri_larg.jpg

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/22 10:00 p.m.

+1 on Syl-Glide. 

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/12/22 10:26 p.m.

Don't use petroleum based grease for EPDM brake parts, and I think the CRC grease above will have the same effect of softening and swelling it.  I had a helluva time pulling the slider pins out of the swollen bushings on our Pathfinder in a parking lot doing an emergency brake job on a 4000 mile road trip.  Checked the outside pads before we left and they were fine, but since the caliper wasn't sliding the inside pad went to bare metal way before the outsides were worn.

I think most of the Japanese manufacturers use EPDM (don't know about US or Europe) which is not compatible with conventional grease.  Sil Glyde should be fine. 

I used olive oil since the truck was up in the air and I didn't have any compatible grease handy.  Need to revisit that in the near future...

toconn
toconn New Reader
6/12/22 11:07 p.m.

One more for Sil-glyde. Bonus points there are countless other applications for it too.

Berck
Berck Reader
6/13/22 1:30 a.m.

Also, in addition to the normal sil-glyde, there's sil-glyde specifically for brake parts.  I have no idea if it's actually different: https://smile.amazon.com/AGS-BK8-Brake-Lubricant-Tube/dp/B00HFL7EDS/

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/13/22 9:49 a.m.

I run Permatex Green for the slides and Permatex Silver for the anti-rattle clips. Been working for me for 15+ years without issue. The one time i used the pink stuff in the Hawk HP+ package it basically turned into silly putty(never used it again) and made the pads stick causing some horrible wear issues. 

We used to use Sil-Glyde on Explorer valve bodies to get them to free up. Would cost the customer just the drain/fill, filter and an hour labor to lube the valve body servo o-rings versus a full replacement. Would lube/free up the servo pistons but also help seal the o-rings to the worn valve body bores. 

Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube (8 oz.) - Walmart.comPermatex Anti-Seize Lubricant With Brush Top Bottle - 80078 - Walmart.com

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/13/22 3:43 p.m.

Permatex Green is not compatible with EPDM rubber.  Don't use it on slide pin rubber bushings.  Silicone is the right stuff.  From the Permatex website:   Permatex® Silicone Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant - 100% compatible with internal/external brake rubber and plastic hardware, including ethylene-propylene rubber and metal components.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/13/22 3:51 p.m.

Interesting,  did not know that about Permatex Green!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/22 8:29 p.m.
John Welsh said:

The best stuff.  It does not wreck rubber the way cheaper grease or antisieze (*hwack ptoo*) will, and it has staying power, does not wash off easily with weather.

It is also rad for rebuilding wiper transmissions when the pivots start binding, which is a common failure in the RX-7 world.  At least, three of my four cars needed rebuilt at one point or another and I have only had the fourth for about 4000mi.

6/14/22 12:35 a.m.

Since it seemed to be a pretty good consensus,  I picked up a tube of Syl-glide this morning, and got the fronts done. By the time I got done it was too hot to start on the backs. The pads were glazed, so I sanded them too.  Definitely less drag after finishing and pumping the brakes a few times.

I'll drive it this weekend and then jack it up to check it out further. Thanks for the feedback, everyone. 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/14/22 7:14 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Another vote for the provocatively named Sil-Glyde.  Been using it for decades.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage/N3223/large/10607939_ags_sg4_pri_larg.jpg

This stuff is what I use

therieldeal
therieldeal Reader
6/15/22 9:23 a.m.
jwagner (Forum Supporter) said:

Permatex Green is not compatible with EPDM rubber.  Don't use it on slide pin rubber bushings.  Silicone is the right stuff.  From the Permatex website:   Permatex® Silicone Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant - 100% compatible with internal/external brake rubber and plastic hardware, including ethylene-propylene rubber and metal components.

Well E36 M3, I guess I've been using the wrong stuff for my entire adult life frown

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l21dolsK6rGx2kYUjJa7C8FciGbetwWagPb4Xp3TdhHd2A5srUXYE7uttHnLNZhc