Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/22 3:41 p.m.

Since my 1972/5 Datsun 24/80Z is retired from challenge duty, I need a real fuel pump.  Ebay $28 pumps are good enough to last a challenge weekend.  I'm done with that junk.

please recommend me a pump that will last.  Car has a 5.3 gm swap with ls6 heads and cam, as well as nitrous.  Pump feeds the nitrous system off the fuel rail, makes 380-400 NA and 550-580 on bottle.  

prefer something easily adaptable to AN fittings so I can plug it right in.  Budget is up to $200, prefer to stay lower than that 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/22 4:11 p.m.

There are a bunch of Pierburg VW/Audi/Porsche inline pumps that can work pretty well and support at least the lower to middle of your range. I don't know nitrous, do you need to scale the fuel with that power jump? I know it brings the oxidizer. 

Iirc they have metric fittings. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/22 4:47 p.m.

I was going to say look for a Bosch unit from a 944 turbo. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/22 7:26 p.m.

This is overkill for your application, but my Aeromotive A1000 pump was purchased used in 2001.  It has been used in three cars and one boat and it probably still works just fine.  As of a few years ago, Aeromotive was still making parts for it in case something breaks.  Edit:  Just checked, they still do.

Overkill it is, and not particularly quiet or small, but so far it's been bulletproof for me.  I wouldn't hesitate to snag one from a used bin on one of the FB groups or marketplace

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
3/5/22 7:38 p.m.

I ran a single Walbro 450 in my turbo 4.8 truck. Accidentally went off the two bar map once and it supplied enough fuel to keep things alive and didn't miss a beat for the 3 years I ran the truck. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/5/22 8:10 p.m.

Check out dw fuelpumps.  Thay have a lifetime warranty.  I have been using them in my racecars  for years now.  Their customer service is excellent and they sell all the proper fittings as well.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/6/22 8:56 p.m.

Big walbro would be my go to. The dw pumps I have seen E36 M3 the bed enough to avoid them. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/22 9:23 p.m.

I had a DW pump die not long after it was put in.

ordered an inline walbro, it's a name I'm comfortable with having used their in tank pumps in other big-ish HP LS cars

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n82kHeEhQxQjVHxpOfdmmkGwwyTy2U6SYkcYnNlSHUxINV7SUJkSaPV3aaSYRrMK