1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/7/12 7:23 a.m.

Which Carbotechs? I'm wondering whether to go for the AX6 or XP8. I'm also thinking about Porterfield R4/R4S. How is the dust on the Porterfields?

Matt B
Matt B Dork
12/7/12 8:00 a.m.
Jaynen wrote: So what are the best weekend/autocross cheap pads I can throw on just to get those HPblues off? I am not that worried about my front bias due to better brakes on the front right now.

Axxis Ultimates - they are much less expensive than anything else mentioned in this thread if memory serves ($40-$75 per axle). Great cold friction and I've never experienced fade with them on mountain drives or back-to-back autocross runs. They are my go-to pad for street and autocross. I've never tried them at a track day though, so I've stayed out of this thread so far.

Going from EBC Greenstuff to Ultimates I had to adjust my braking to compensate for the extra initial bite. That said, I wasn't that impressed with the Greenstuff in the first place.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
12/7/12 8:39 a.m.

Poerterfield dust is prettymuch a nonissue. Spendy but fantastic.

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
12/7/12 8:45 a.m.

if you're street driving and a-x'ing the car, then the AX6 should do all you need ... if tracking it I'd go with a higher rated pad ... 'course I street drive, a-x, and TT my CRX on XP10's on the front and PBR (slightly more than OEM ) on the rear ....

and keep in mind that the folk at Carbotech will be very helpful in pointing you towards the appropriate pad for the planned usage

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
12/7/12 8:50 a.m.
Matt B wrote:
Jaynen wrote: So what are the best weekend/autocross cheap pads I can throw on just to get those HPblues off? I am not that worried about my front bias due to better brakes on the front right now.
Axxis Ultimates - they are much less expensive than anything else mentioned in this thread if memory serves ($40-$75 per axle). Great cold friction and I've never experienced fade with them on mountain drives or back-to-back autocross runs. They are my go-to pad for street and autocross. I've never tried them at a track day though, so I've stayed out of this thread so far. Going from EBC Greenstuff to Ultimates I had to adjust my braking to compensate for the extra initial bite. That said, I wasn't that impressed with the Greenstuff in the first place.

FWIW, Axxis is very good as a DD and a-x pad ... not so good ( still not terrible ) as a track day/TT pad

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
12/7/12 9:19 a.m.

With very few track days planned in the next year that is probably ok. I would rather adjust my braking on the 2 days I hit the track than the 12+ times I do an autocross

Where is the best or most convenient place to get them?

Matt B
Matt B Dork
12/7/12 10:44 a.m.

I think I've gotten them from a different vendor every time, so I'm not sure who's the cheapest. Lately prices at http://www.importrp.com seem to be pretty good. In addition, sometimes Rockauto actually has the Axxis/PBR stuff.

Oh yeah, they also go under the PBR brand name.

For the record, I'm not a fan of the Metal Masters relative to the Ults. We replaced our Ultimates on the Integra with those (because super cheap Rockauto sale) and I kinda regret it.

Also, the Ults dust like a mofo, especially for a ceramic pad.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tdyAPaC2hbm7a1dD0a1C6sNs3ryuxRRNUINWGL0UoyfKsD8rcu386ytGNqROOZ6t