Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/24/21 10:52 a.m.
feature_image

That’s right, folks, you heard it here first: Registration for the 2021 Grassroots Motorsports $2000 Challenge presented by CRC Industries and eBay Motors is now open.

Set for October 22-23 at the familiar Gainesville Raceway in Gainesville, Florida, the $2000 Challenge is where penny-pinching and extreme speed meet—often with spectacular results.

Registration fees for vehicle and driver are as follows: …

Read the rest of the story

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/24/21 11:37 a.m.

I have ambitiously registered.  I'm not sure where I tell you what car im bringing, but the goal is the LMP360.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/21 1:18 p.m.

Any chance of the "General Tire Challenge" returning - or something similar, where the early registrants compete in an autox in the same car?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/24/21 1:32 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Likely not for this year. Big companies (like the ones that sell tires and cars) are still being very cautious about planning things that involve lots of contact with shared surfaces.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/21 1:41 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

aahh, yes.  that dang Covid.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/24/21 1:58 p.m.

This is probably boldly written somewhere but if I register this year and can't make it, can my registration be bumped to next year?

Tom Suddard
3/24/21 2:01 p.m.

Yes, you have until one week before the event to cancel and get a credit for the following year.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/24/21 3:12 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Thanks, Tom. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/24/21 3:14 p.m.

I'm not building a car (because I never do) but I AM getting my first Covid vaccine this Monday. Bothering y'all at the Challenge is looking increasingly likely. laugh

nocones
3/24/21 4:35 p.m.

Robbie needs to Register F-DAT and then the Bad Decision Triangle will be the only entrants.   This tells you most of what you need to know about us considering 2/3 of the BDT cars aren't even cars at this point. 

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/24/21 4:57 p.m.
nocones said:

Robbie needs to Register F-DAT and then the Bad Decision Triangle will be the only entrants.   This tells you most of what you need to know about us considering 2/3 of the BDT cars aren't even cars at this point. 

Came here to post that we are in!
What's the hold up, Robbie??

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/24/21 5:30 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I'm not building a car (because I never do) but I AM getting my first Covid vaccine this Monday. Bothering y'all at the Challenge is looking increasingly likely. laugh

Come join us!

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/24/21 6:04 p.m.

Hopefully the covid situation improves and spectators will be allowed. I've gone once and would like to go again smiley

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/24/21 6:43 p.m.

I'm one shot down already and I'll be coming to hang out  Already have my room, and no plans at all to bring a car, lol. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/24/21 6:47 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) said:

Hopefully the covid situation improves and spectators will be allowed. I've gone once and would like to go again smiley

Tom said in the other thread that given the vaccination trend line, they are expecting to run it like a normal Challenge event and spectators will be welcome

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/25/21 7:51 a.m.

Robbie, Gumby, nocones, BDT folk - just exactly how E36 M3ty will these weirdly-bodied tube-frame kit-ish type cars be this year? Will anyone have time to complete paint and bodywork, or will that be next year? I'm considering a hasty summer thrash on the Free Europa to get it just barely driving for the Challenge.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/25/21 8:17 a.m.

Me, munchkin, the neon and the nitrous bottle are registered!

nocones
3/25/21 8:21 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

Oh mine will likely be pretty E36 M3ty.   I really have faith that Robbie can make his "the pretty one" since it already runs.  X71 appears to have the advantage of multiple people working on it. 

You must bring the Europa.  I'm somewhat concerned that if the "Free Europa" and the "$1 Subaru 360" where ever in the same spot, with 4 wheels, a running motor, and the ability to contain a human that we will create some kind of point singularity ending the world.  Also SVreX would likely appear with a Red Ballon tied to the grill of another <$5 project like some sort of project car pennywise luring another person into spending thousands of hours turning his old yard art into something.

Tom Suddard
3/25/21 8:42 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Official statement on COVID-19 at the 2021 event:

https://2000challenge.com/covid19-policies-1

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/25/21 8:44 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

But probably safe to assume we'll all be back in '22, painted, polished, and shooting for the overall win? That would be a pretty incredible field of entrants. Though at this rate, X71 is quickly approaching that level for '21.

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/25/21 8:55 a.m.

Oh stahp you two. blush 
We may have lofty goals, but also expect that Robbie will be the most finished since F-Dat has a year of competition under the belt already

I am definitely hoping to see the Europa this year. There aren't many things better than a hastily built free crappy fiberglass car!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/21 9:20 a.m.
maschinenbau (I live here) said:

Robbie, Gumby, nocones, BDT folk - just exactly how E36 M3ty will these weirdly-bodied tube-frame kit-ish type cars be this year? Will anyone have time to complete paint and bodywork, or will that be next year? I'm considering a hasty summer thrash on the Free Europa to get it just barely driving for the Challenge.

To give you an idea, I just recently pulled a busted 16' fiberglass canoe out of the neighbor's trash pile to make a fuselage. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/21 9:24 a.m.
nocones said:

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

Oh mine will likely be pretty E36 M3ty.   I really have faith that Robbie can make his "the pretty one" since it already runs.  X71 appears to have the advantage of multiple people working on it. 

You must bring the Europa.  I'm somewhat concerned that if the "Free Europa" and the "$1 Subaru 360" where ever in the same spot, with 4 wheels, a running motor, and the ability to contain a human that we will create some kind of point singularity ending the world.  Also SVreX would likely appear with a Red Ballon tied to the grill of another <$5 project like some sort of project car pennywise luring another person into spending thousands of hours turning his old yard art into something.

I think Joe currently holds the "project car pennywise" title, but if SVreX wants to compete, I'll buy the popcorn. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x9deG8YPHpB9V7Sx8nGP9LzooovAJ0dIQO6u7w7LB8kUUC2ZcIPFyWvGs3ULcJqH