1 2
UncleDaddy
UncleDaddy New Reader
2/15/15 2:09 p.m.

Since you mention Impreza, is the GC 2.5RS better than the GD? Just weighs a little less or is there more to it?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/15/15 2:46 p.m.
UncleDaddy wrote: Since you mention Impreza, is the GC 2.5RS better than the GD? Just weighs a little less or is there more to it?

The GC 2.5RS was a performance car, the GD 2.5RS was a base model. The GD has much less enthusiastic gearing (something like 3.91 vs 4.44) and is overall a "softer" car to drive. You really feel the extra width and mass on tighter courses, and the gearing is beneficial given the EJ25's remarkably narrow powerband. They really don't like to do much past 5200-5500 or so in the GC, the later GD engine is a little more rev happy but it has all that mass/poor gearing to compensate.

Clean GCs are starting to creep up into the $10k range, though, so unless you find a killer deal, you're better off with a GD and spending money on going to events and learning.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
2/15/15 2:49 p.m.

A GD 4-door is also 300-400 lbs heavier than a GC 2-door IIRC.

On the other hand a low-rust GC up here is so many $$$$'s its crazy!

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
2/15/15 3:29 p.m.
UncleDaddy wrote: I'll keep an eye on craigslist for a good deal, and try to drive some of the suggested cars and see if any just seem to fit. That may help me decide. I was thinking I wanted a car with a little more room, but I'll keep the miata In the running. It sounds like it can be competitive in rallycross, and while it wasn't in my criteria, I know it could potentially serve double duty and do well in autocross. Anything I should look for when buying a miata?

Hard top - Expect to pay an extra $800-$1200 for a hard top if you buy it separate from the car.
LSD.
Depending on your torso height the miata may be an issue with stock seats (required in stock class) and a helmet. In my normal driving position I can not wear a helmet with the stock miata seats but I can with gangsta lean. Running PR so I can change seats.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xmn6JbIR7Oqa7f8DM7r1CElTUPM6GjsikvSFR8ELJip9dyqkNMc6C1A6fujQrWcs