Mental
Mental SuperDork
5/25/10 11:58 p.m.

Well I hate to admit it, but after 7 years on the different versions of this board and for a few years even being in the top 10 posters (this was before DILYSI Dave had racked up 10K and John Brown was only 5 K into his 2nd board name) the constant brainwashing has gotten to me.

Sometimes, the answer really is Miata. Especially if the question is what fun rear wheel drive car can I get for $800 from a local impound yard that actually runs, and has working AC.

Thats right, working AC for $800. That's 2 vehicles in my fleet that I paid $800 for and the AC works in both of them.

But I take exception to the GRM claiming the worlds grossest Miata. Not that they are liars, and at the time, I am sure it was pretty bad, I just offer a counterpiont...

I submit to you, the dorks of GRMdom, that I am now in posession of the World's Grossest Miata. (FYI, its a 96) Yep, the PO installed a gas cap that doesn't fit, and then forced the lid down on it. Now it still doesn't fit and won't close. Look for them lepord print floormats in the $2k section for sale soon...

So thank goodness there are two project cars I can refer to in GRM and that the experts at Flyin' MIata are here as well, becuase it looks like FM, Moss and BSI will be getting a lot of my paycheck in the coming months...

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
5/26/10 5:11 a.m.

Nope, her interior is WAY to clean to be the world's grossest Miata. I need to get pics of the one that I got from a back yard a couple of weeks ago. I ripped the interior out without taking pics. Wore a mask. I can at least get pics of the top, or what was left of it.

Otherwise, great score!

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
5/26/10 5:53 a.m.

I would like to know how the wear on the driver's side bolster was created? In my experience the Miata seats are pretty much wear proof.

Mybe scales on the POs elbows?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
5/26/10 6:14 a.m.

Motor looks better than any of my cars.

kurtz
kurtz New Reader
5/26/10 6:41 a.m.

Leopard print mats and Skulls plate trim. The PO had class!

RossD
RossD Dork
5/26/10 7:12 a.m.
Mental wrote: But I take exception to the GRM claiming the worlds grossest Miata. Not that they are liars, and at the time, I am sure it was pretty bad, I just offer a counterpiont...

"Jane, you ignorant slut..."

...it's a convertible, why would it need A/C.

unevolved
unevolved Reader
5/26/10 7:14 a.m.

That's bad, but that's no WGM.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
5/26/10 7:14 a.m.

I've bought worse.

chuckles
chuckles New Reader
5/26/10 7:34 a.m.

I like those floormats.

It looks as if it may have been in a collision.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/10 7:58 a.m.

that will take a LOT of buffing

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/10 8:10 a.m.

I wonder if the PO mistakenly thought the package read "Racers Top"

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
5/26/10 8:12 a.m.

Think those hawt floormats will hide the lack of floorboard in my MGB from the tech inspectors? I sense a bidding war...

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/10 9:51 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: I would like to know how the wear on the driver's side bolster was created? In my experience the Miata seats are pretty much wear proof.

No, that's actually pretty common. We see that wear in pretty much all the salvage cars that come through here. I think it happens when people drag themselves over the seats getting in and out.

Looks like an excellent $800 Miata to me. Heck, you bought it for the price of the Torsen. One of my coworkers just dragged home a $1200 1992 Miata with a bit more front end damage (took out the rad and the AC condenser) but a cleaner interior. Also black.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/26/10 10:04 a.m.

Although you have our "Grossest Miata" beat with those foor mats, the real deciding factor is the stickiness of the interior. Ours was like a lollypop left out in the sun. Gross... Lots of scrubbing, and carpet shampoo got it decently presentable though.

BTW that little white rat went on to a good home near ATL, and is still providing the owner with tons of fun! Gotta love dirt cheap Miatas.

nice score!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/26/10 10:14 a.m.

A tad of foreshadowing: Dr.Hess has a new addition to the fleet coming....

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/10 3:46 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: A tad of foreshadowing: Dr.Hess has a new addition to the fleet coming....

It's about damned time that you came around...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/26/10 4:37 p.m.

Came around? HA HA HA HA HA.

I asked Dr.Linda: Do you want a xxxxxx? She said, "I was thinking of getting my own car ["fun" car] when we took the Esprit to the show, and thought of a Miata [she's driven one and liked it], but I really wanted a xxxxx. It's weird that you ask. Yeah I want one."

skruffy
skruffy SuperDork
5/26/10 4:37 p.m.

That thing would look like a brand new veyron parked next to my 240z...

That looks to be all cosmetic damage. If it doesn't have rusty rockers and isn't otherwise full of bondo I'd say you made out alright.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/10 4:39 p.m.

I admit... I am tempted by the miata.. but I am not sure my Fiat would accept it

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/10 6:35 p.m.

This is going to sound stupid - but I recently resurrected my wife's Miata back to daily driver status. It's been gathering dust in the shop as it was used for various tests, and with the MG project taking up a bit too much room in the garage I was kind of glad to have it out of the way. All I needed to do was replace the IAC, adjust the throttle stop, idle bypass screw and TPS, and drill into the AFM to get at the AFM bypass screw. You know, the usual.

Compared to most of the Miatas I drive, this one's pretty normal. Just a little 1990 with a Voodoo II turbo system and FM's suspension package. It doesn't look nuts, it's not stripped out with a snorty high compression engine, it's not constantly struggling for traction or trying to rear-end the car in front of it every time I touch the gas, I'm not trying to evaluate the suspension/engine tuning/clutch/power delivery/whatever. I can just drive it. And you know what? These little cars are fun! I only wish there were more turns on my way to work.

On topic - when we got it, it smelled like chocolate. I eventually pulled up the carpet and cleaned up a bunch of some sort of chocolate liquid that had been spilled in the interior and was living under the carpet. Not the world's grossest Miata, but certainly several steps grosser than most of the beauties that show up here.

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
5/26/10 6:44 p.m.

Hey, wouldn't those floormats make the car qualify pretty much automatically for caveman class?

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/26/10 6:55 p.m.

Tell you what. Use your Miata as a dog kennel for a while. Then stuff all your spare junk in there and take your knife and slash the roof in a couple of places. Then let it rain for a couple of years. Then......perhaps yours can outgross my #2 Miata.

egnorant
egnorant Dork
5/26/10 10:26 p.m.

In reply to Mental:

Not even close! Mine could beat that one before the cat exploited a small tear in the top and used it as a clubhouse. Now that the neighbor dog chased said cat through said (now larger) hole and not only killed the cat but died 6 days before I discovered it, I feel I deserve an honorable mention.

Bruce

Mental
Mental SuperDork
5/27/10 12:16 a.m.
egnorant wrote: In reply to Mental: Not even close! Mine could beat that one before the cat exploited a small tear in the top and used it as a clubhouse. Now that the neighbor dog chased said cat through said (now larger) hole and not only killed the cat but died 6 days before I discovered it, I feel I deserve an honorable mention. Bruce

You have defeated me...THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!

Seriously, Grossest Miata sounds like a lovely sidebar or thread title if eveyone can get pictures

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2keorcFPF4xfKp6KoV2V7MhavMgd5x6HM9srfwmtYWUsC3Khm4WCOzhYwefcXVNj