1 2
bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
8/1/16 5:15 p.m.

When SWMBO and I moved to OH, we only had a 1 car garage, you can guess who got to park in it, not me. By November of our first year there, my 850 had a heated driver seat and remote start. It was awesome.

I got a cheaper Python 1 way remote start/keyless entry kit off Amazon, it was around $80. I don't recall the model number, and I have failed to find it looking at pictures of the current kits for sale, may be discontinued now.

If I had to do it again, I'd have skipped the keyless entry part, since my car came equipped with it, and just gotten remote start. There are some tiny single button fobs, that I could live with adding to my key chain. Defeating the stock alarm/imobilizer was challenging, and getting the keyless entry to work came with some compromises, i.e. I can't manually lock/unlock the drivers door, but that was a small price to pay for having a warm defrosted car on those cold Winter mornings.

Thankfully we moved back to God's country, where we rarely deal with that evil white stuff, and Winters are much milder, so my remote start rarely gets used anymore.

jstand
jstand HalfDork
8/1/16 9:50 p.m.

I'll eventually add one using the kia factory kit, since we will probably keep it another 5-10 years. Provided the salt doesn't devour it before then.

First project though is to get the BT install completed.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/16 5:45 a.m.

In reply to fasted58:

Thanks for yet another confirmation in driving an older man's car.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
8/2/16 8:16 a.m.

Since my toys occupy both garage spaces, I've always had remote starters installed in my gf's cars for those cold winter days. Don't know about Hyundai but there is an OEM remote starter for her '15 Mazda3 but I opted not to go that route due to cost and limited range. Instead, I picked up a viper + dball2 package with installation from Best Buy of all places and couldn't be happier. The two-way remote has a 1 mile range, lets you know the status of your car, and can be programmed to do a whole bunch of other things (turn on defroster, pop the trunk, whatever).

wnick
wnick New Reader
8/2/16 8:58 a.m.

When we bought my wife's 2004 Trailblazer,we have an aftermarket remote start installed. Our daughter has the car now and it still works great. We just bought a 2015 terrain. Once the free OnStar was over she can still use the app on her phone to start the car. My Flex sits outside an I get to scrape the ice off. Happy wife, happy life.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nJXUVZgPwsHGFS9MjZzVxP49JCTTcIJDYf7hlxmRm2bRMFY6fBHgRI52Oglbz1lB