Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/21 12:25 p.m.

Ok, dumb question time. If I remove the oil filter without first draining the oil from the sump, will all of the oil above the filter drain back out of the filter hole?

I recently changed the oil on my 2010 f150, but the filter I got was a little larger in circumference than the one I removed (same diameter seal ring) and the new one just barely rubs on the lower coolant hose. Probably not an immediate problem, but I don't like the interference. I'd love to just swap the filter if I wont loose tons of oil, but if I need to just do another drain I will. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/20/21 12:30 p.m.

Generally you just lose the oil in the filter and the gallery leading to it, not much.  Maybe 1/4 to a full quart depending on the filter size and a few extra ounces out of that oil galley.  As long as the oil pump isn't moving there is no pressure so nothing will shoot out.  Amsoil actually has this procedure for exended OCI's using their oil.  Just change the filter every 5000 - 7500 miles and top off when you are done. 

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/20/21 12:46 p.m.

I'd just slide some high-temp nylon split loom around the coolant hose where it contacts the filter. It will protect the hose from abrasion. If you'd rather replace the filter, though, 06HHR's advice above is spot on.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/20/21 1:56 p.m.

06HHR is correct. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OJPrgtdc3gyHpk8GXhiBxsUe5OUK6kj7WkopM1jLxt3rRhA8DW7SbGzoGqHofPfN