1 2
foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
8/19/13 8:28 p.m.

As long as I'm brain damaged and riding the couch, I may as well contemplate replacing the remarkably reliable Miata with something else.

A 91 Miata with 330k miles on it, that has hardly ever broken down. But, I'm kinda bored with it now, and ah...it's gotten a little low for these 50 year old knees and hips. And truthfully, the top hardly ever seems to get put down.

So I'm just ruminating silly things, like a BMW, or SAAB, or even a Subaru. Actually, I'm just letting my imagination run wild.

I've driven a few Subaru models, and they were very underwhelming on performance. I'd like to run a SAAB, but I've already got the Volvo, which gives me lots of repair issues. Not sure I really want more. Last BMW I had was a 1600, so they've likely improved a bit. Several folk here rave about the E30 and E36 models, and they appear to be going really cheap right now.

Hate to admit it, but a friend has several Buicks, and the darn things are reliable and really comfortable. Though not at all exciting.

Just ruminating. God help me if someone has something interesting nearby and really wants an old 1.6 Miata....

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
8/19/13 8:37 p.m.

what do you use it for?

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/19/13 9:22 p.m.

What fer pain meds do they have you on?

You know how I feel about the E30, but then remember mine is no longer stock suspension. After spending another weekend riding in the shotgun seat of a E36 M3 on the track, I'm totally sold on those cars. Damn near perfect right out of the box, and POWAHHHH! that the E30 is lacking. Cheap as they will likely ever be right now.

Subarus have a funky spirit to them and are pretty fun to drive, but the N/A cars don't really put out the power for the rest of the chassis. The WRX is the only way to fly, IMO.

Wouldn't touch a Saab with a ten foot pole. 6 years in the dealership (during their prime years, even) will do that to you.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
8/20/13 1:24 a.m.

you can find modded 318tis for really cheap, with engine swaps or superchargers

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/20/13 6:38 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: The WRX is the only way to fly, IMO.

If you go Subie, it has got to be boosted.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/20/13 7:05 a.m.

My general dislike for my E30 is fairly well documented by now...

If you can wait for a bit (mid Sept?) until after I get my car fixed, we could trade for awhile if you're interested. I'd love a week or so to try out a Miata as a day-to-day car.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
8/20/13 7:09 a.m.

I've had two Buicks. The ride is great.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/20/13 7:11 a.m.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/13 8:25 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:

You trying to add to his brain damage?

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/20/13 8:47 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: You trying to add to his brain damage?

Or perhaps take advantage of his weakened state?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
8/20/13 6:01 p.m.
Ian F wrote: My general dislike for my E30 is fairly well documented by now... If you can wait for a bit (mid Sept?) until after I get my car fixed, we could trade for awhile if you're interested. I'd love a week or so to try out a Miata as a day-to-day car.

Really? I am in absolutely no rush. A swap for a week or so could be a blast for both of us.

And even addled, I know better than to contemplate a Jag. Though I do love to rationalize an early XJ6.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
8/20/13 6:48 p.m.

every day that i drive my recently acquired '99 Regal GS i love it a little more.

it requires so little effort to drive. so little maintenance to upkeep. and so little anxiousness its going to work.

the burnouts are super cool too.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/20/13 6:51 p.m.
Ian F wrote: My general dislike for my E30 is fairly well documented by now... If you can wait for a bit (mid Sept?) until after I get my car fixed, we could trade for awhile if you're interested. I'd love a week or so to try out a Miata as a day-to-day car.

My general like for my e30 is fairly well documented by now as well (and my DD is a late-model WRX). So, I won't trade you. :)

But YMMV on many older cars. Miatas and e30s are two of the most popular inexpensive motorsports cars for a reason - both are relatively good out of the box, have strong aftermarket, cheap parts, and easy to work on (though I'd argue that the e30 is much easier to work on than a Miata). But they both have their idiosyncracies and there are always going to be disagreements about them and any other car. And aside from being fairly comparable on the track, the two cars are very different from each other in many, many ways.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/20/13 8:14 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote:
Really? I am in absolutely no rush. A swap for a week or so could be a blast for both of us.

Absolutely.

Mine is somewhat modified, although I'm slowly in the process of "de-modding" it. Just found a set of OE springs as I'm not fond of the H&R Sports currently on it. The poly motor and trans mounts I installed will also go back to stock mounts. By the time I'm done, it'll be about as original as I can make it, leaving only the off-set camber plates and M3 LCA bushings. Tires will be OE sized 195/65-14 all-seasons on the OE basketweaves. Not sure what I'll do with the ancient and rock-hard ES100's currently on the bottle-cap wheels.

Right now I just need the car to be a simple and (hopefully) reliable DD for a month or so while I tear the TDI apart.

irish44j wrote: My general like for my e30 is fairly well documented by now as well (and my DD is a late-model WRX). So, I won't trade you. :)

Yes... I know... I'm trying not to sound like a broken record of complaining...

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
8/20/13 8:52 p.m.

The big issue I have with E30s it that I keep expecting them to cost about the same and be in about the same condition as the E30s that were available when I was in high school (99-03). Back then, $4000 bought a heck of car. Now it seems like all the E30s 'round these parts are just beat. And see through. And you have to buy expensive over-engineered/delicate German parts. I'd get another Miata.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/20/13 9:28 p.m.
LainfordExpress wrote: The big issue I have with E30s it that I keep expecting them to cost about the same and be in about the same condition as the E30s that were available when I was in high school (99-03). Back then, $4000 bought a heck of car. Now it seems like all the E30s 'round these parts are just beat. And see through. And you have to buy expensive over-engineered/delicate German parts. I'd get another Miata.

Well, they are 10 years older

I wouldn't call much of any e30 parts "expensive." They're a hell of a lot cheaper than anything I've bought for my WRX, Maxima, or GT6. The only thing that had cheaper parts was my Jeep.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/21/13 5:45 a.m.

I'll wait while someone posts a list of expensive E30 parts. Hell, I'll even give you to the weekend so you have a fighting chance.

I'll then compare them to parts prices for the Equally Fun And Competent car of your choice.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
8/21/13 6:21 a.m.

Admittedly, I based my "expensive parts" off of my general experience with BMW parts. I could very well be mistaken with the E30 specifically. Carry-on.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/21/13 7:37 a.m.

E30 parts are reasonably priced... which is good... since it'll go through a bunch of them... at least mine seems to...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/21/13 7:38 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: And even addled, I know better than to contemplate a Jag. Though I do love to rationalize an early XJ6.

Why not? They really aren't any more unreliable then a BMW. Actually I would bet just cause of age they are more reliable (compared to an E30). The early V8s (up to '00) had timing chain tensioner problems and the Niksal cylinder liners but if the cylinder liner problem hasn't shown up by now it won't and the timing chain tensioner problem is fixed by updating. Later ones don't have those problems.

redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
8/21/13 8:00 a.m.

While not an E30, I absolutely love my newly acquired E28 so far. It has tons of character and I've been able to find every and any part I need easily, whether new or used. Such an easy car to work on too. I liked my 944, but I alreaady love this car so much more (though a lot of folks may find that crazy). Very glad to be back in a BMW, though 20 years older than my most recent.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
8/21/13 8:28 p.m.

Ga! All these weird BMW acronyms that I have to learn. Had to go googling E28 to see just what it was.

And as for the Jag, gas mileage is part of the overall equation. I don't want to feed a V8, or a particularly big 6 for that matter. I got the Miata as a fun gas sipping daily driver for my 70+ mile daily work commute. I know a BMW won't get the same, but I'd like to be at least vaguely justifiable. And I've been around british cars, and some Jags before. I aint bitting on the notion of them being just as reliable.

hamster
hamster New Reader
8/21/13 9:15 p.m.

In reply to foxtrapper:

Why not have both?

I've had my '91 Miata for about 15 years now.

It has been almost boring in it's reliability.

I've had my '90 E30 325i sedan for about 3 years now.

I've replaced the driveshaft because the u-joints were binding. (annoying vibration) I've done the timing belt because the water pump was leaking. I've replaced the muffler because it rusted out. I've been tracking down various electrical gremlins related to the central locking system and the power windows. I've had to replace the power sunroof cables. I've been driving around with a small crack in the cylinder head. (no milkshake, still runs good)

But strangely enough I still like these old BMWs. This old E30 kind of reminds me of a slightly more refined combination of my old '70 Datsun 240Z and my old '71 510.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/21/13 9:19 p.m.
hamster wrote: central locking system and the power windows. I've had to replace the power sunroof cables.

those are easy fixes:

central lock delete (-11lbs in actuators and wiring) power window delete (-35lbs in motors and wiring) sunroof delete (ok, not in a street car, but does take 50+lbs off the top of the car).

Old cars should have manual locks and windows anyhow

hamster
hamster New Reader
8/21/13 9:26 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Oh yeah, that reminds me, I deleted the power steering pump and hoses when the rack started bleeding out in my driveway.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2xeamiFs6aNNJo4Yxi6XWZyLN2OD1kmXjXwBra8AEIAfO68mj5H55hQ7Uyh6J9M3