1 2
tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/21/13 9:26 p.m.

I have had my E30 ('89 325i) for about 3 months now and have really taken a liking to it.

I bought it cheap and have been slowly fixing it up but I am still easily within challenge budget.

Living in the city, I appreciate the small overall dimensions but am surprised at the generous interior room and trunk. It does feel small and nimble for a sedan that can carry 4 adults and their bags.

They are solid little cars that make sense and are easy to work on. It took me a little while to warm up to it but after a few hundred miles I am growing attached to it.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/21/13 9:29 p.m.
Ian F wrote: I'm not fond of the H&R Sports currently on it.

If you want to make me a really good deal on those I might be able to take them off of your hands...

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/22/13 6:12 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
hamster wrote: central locking system and the power windows. I've had to replace the power sunroof cables.
those are easy fixes: central lock delete (-11lbs in actuators and wiring) power window delete (-35lbs in motors and wiring) sunroof delete (ok, not in a street car, but does take 50+lbs off the top of the car). Old cars should have manual locks and windows anyhow

Absolutely. The only stuff I find that breaks on these with regularity is this junk you don't need. My central locking system worked not-so-well when I got mine. I worked on it for maybe two hours, then tore it out. I have to say that locking it with the key has worked perfectly since.

The only job I will never, EVER do again is remove the rear subframe. berkeley that; next time it needs bushings (which will be never) I'll pay whatever someone with a lift wants to do it.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/22/13 8:02 a.m.
irish44j wrote: Old cars should have manual locks and windows anyhow

Maybe for your stripped out race car, but fvck that for a daily driver... If I planned on keeping my car, I'd add remote locking.

I don't mind manual windows and locks on the Mini and GT6 since they're narrow enough for it not to matter. The 1800ES, however, will get both if I go the resto-mod route (vs. the vintage race car route). Hell... I want A/C in my GT6.

tb wrote: If you want to make me a really good deal on those I might be able to take them off of your hands...

When the time comes, I should have a pile of E30 stuff to sell. I paid for the springs, but we'll see how long it takes the kid to ship them. I really hate buying stuff off the E30 forums sometimes... They can make VWVortex members looks mature...

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/22/13 8:33 a.m.
Ian F wrote: When the time comes, I should have a pile of E30 stuff to sell.

sweet! I am in no rush. I just dropped a grand on brakes and tires... swmbo is not entirely pleased...

Ian F wrote: ... sometimes... They can make VWVortex members looks mature...

Truth! I have had very pleasant experiences with other car communities over the years. So far it seems like most e30 forums are overly concerned with euro headlights, $1k mufflers and not maintaining good communication!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/22/13 8:40 a.m.
irish44j wrote: central lock delete (-11lbs in actuators and wiring) power window delete (-35lbs in motors and wiring) sunroof delete (ok, not in a street car, but does take 50+lbs off the top of the car).

I might be interested in doing this, considering that neither of my power windows currently work, and the car is small enough for me to reach over and roll the passenger's window down anyhow.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/13 8:49 a.m.
tb wrote:
Ian F wrote: ... sometimes... They can make VWVortex members looks mature...
Truth! I have had very pleasant experiences with other car communities over the years. So far it seems like most e30 forums are overly concerned with euro headlights, $1k mufflers and not maintaining good communication!

isn't that the truth. I found that -most- of the BMW dedicated forums are like that. Bimmerforums being the worst.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/22/13 9:50 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: isn't that the truth. I found that -most- of the BMW dedicated forums are like that. Bimmerforums being the worst.

Yeah, I have found some useful info on r3vlimted, but there is a poor signal to noise ratio there too.

BTW, I will be down your way next week, probably tuesday. Will be working on the e30 in my parent's driveway in Somers Point if you want to come by and kick the tires.

redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
8/22/13 10:52 a.m.

No way, the e28 form (myE28.com) is full of super knowledgable folks. I bought a whole bunch of parts from various folks this past week and already have 80% of them sitting in boxes here ready to be installed.

I'm sure that's not always the case with other bimmer forums.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/22/13 12:25 p.m.

In reply to redhookfern:

Well, let's face it... the E28 is a little less common than the E30 and it takes a 'special' person to own and drive one.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/22/13 12:28 p.m.
tb wrote: Yeah, I have found some useful info on r3vlimted, but there is a poor signal to noise ratio there too.

R3vlimited is one of those forums where you have to take the good and ignore the bad. I think the median age there is about 17, and if you wander into their "Off Topic Lounge" you will weep for the future. But the tech forums do indeed have some very good info.

I've poked around E30tech some, but since registration seems to be shut off, I can't join, so I mostly ignore it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8FTWiGtQAfUMxNd9tA4TethtXUOAPMwfI3bUR2lC3TYhYMcYxLQMByRK3SPk1CXE