1 2
mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
9/9/14 11:55 a.m.

First off, I do happen to work for Crutchfield. We sell what is available, from our vendors. For a radio that looks as inconspicuous as possible, I would look at the Alpine CDE-W235BT. Find it here. For the bluetooth microphone, I recommend installing the head, and trying three locations. 1- on the steering column, directly behind the wheel. 2- top of the A pillar. 3- along the headliner, between the mirror and visor. Tape it to each location, have your wife take it for a drive, calling you each time. Have her get up to highway speeds, since what works in a parking lot may or may not work well on the interstate. Once you have determined what works well, take the time to tuck the wire away. If you prefer a rear USB input (I run my iPod Classic in the glovebox, no one needs to know it's there but me), go to a single DIN unit like the CDE-154BT (here). Those would by far be my top two recommendations.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/9/14 4:41 p.m.
mistanfo wrote: First off, I do happen to work for Crutchfield. We sell what is available, from our vendors.

I like the disclaimer.

I want to give her HD radio as well, especially at that price, but the Alpine does look factory-ish

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
9/9/14 4:53 p.m.

I know this is a thread hijack and I'm sorry but I think it's sorta pertienent; why the CDE-154 and not the CDE-HD148BT? I know it's more money but only $50 and a lot of features are added with a control layout that looks similar.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/9/14 4:53 p.m.

In reply to mistanfo:

I bought both of the head units I previously mentioned from Crutchfield. With the JVC, I bought a PAC-11 so I could retain the steering wheel controls and a JVC Sirius tuner. It worked out great for me.

One thing that frustrated me was finding a non-touchscreen double-din unit that has a rear USB input. I found about 2.

I may be changing to a different head unit soon. How about hooking a fellow GRMer out?

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
9/9/14 9:48 p.m.

Sorry, missed the HD request. The CDE-HD148BT would indeed be a better unit for that request. Most other additional features are more tweaks in nature, but if you listen to terrestrial broadcasts and have HD available locally, go for it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qFUkxQ9zRbZjr18xYeAGXBFfb6HwDeVi4kmTVwiSsYd9ypJK7keBQrku8bPOHE84