BadPax
BadPax
6/12/17 9:41 p.m.

Hi- I am BadPax, long time lurker (yes I saw the original Amy post) and first time poster. I have had a low miles 1990 Miata that I have been slowly building into STS prep over the last 6 years. I race with a club that has not had a top 10 PAX STS miata since 2012. We run at an old 1/2 mile paved tri-oval with steep banking, so obviously our courses tend to be very open and very fast and not very STS Miata friendly. So I am bored with the Miata now and want more power, as in v8 power. My budget will probably be around $8,000 for something that will see about 5,000 street miles a year and probably 6 to 8 autocross events. I am thinking my budget is going to limit me to either C4 Vette, or some sort of Mustang or Camaro to run in a CAM class. Which one of those 3 would be my best bet, or am I overlooking some other better option? Thanks in advance for the input.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
6/12/17 11:17 p.m.

For that budget I wonder if a 2010 V6 Mustang might be the ticket. Makes similar power to the prior Mustang V8s and 4th gen Camaro V8s. Let engine mod potential though.

There are plenty of other options that you might find compelling that might be as fast or quicker.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/13/17 12:25 a.m.

As I read, it caught me off guard that you weren't leading up to talking about putting a V8 in the Miata...

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/13/17 5:53 a.m.

Seems like 8k and a call to flyin Miata might make that car a bit more entertaining. And you'd donate a goat b to someone in need...

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/17 6:46 a.m.

In reply to BadPax:

Where are you located?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/13/17 7:16 a.m.

For 10k, i know of a cam prepped 64 el Camino.....

NickD
NickD SuperDork
6/13/17 7:23 a.m.

The '05-'08 Mustang GTs are getting down in that price area I believe and they aren't a bad car.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/17 7:25 a.m.

Can you get a 350/370z in that price range yet?

On a side not I got a chuckle re Amy. GRM members are now classified as pre and post Amy.

BadPax
BadPax New Reader
6/13/17 8:26 a.m.
Ransom wrote: As I read, it caught me off guard that you weren't leading up to talking about putting a V8 in the Miata...

An Lsx NA Miata checks all the right boxes but I don't think I want to go there from where I am now. I started a v8 240Z build years ago that went bad due to a rusty shell, so I don't think I want to go down that road again, starting from scratch with this Miata.

BadPax
BadPax New Reader
6/13/17 8:28 a.m.
Pete Gossett wrote: In reply to BadPax: Where are you located?

I'm in eastern Washington state.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/17 8:59 a.m.

In reply to BadPax:

Well darn, I was tempted to make you an offer, but that's a bit far from the Gulf Coast.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1cEaYdcKepdBP1jjZ58xhfefH8iAsvF5akBreSsrQiqvWwnKmF0qxIZVsUNLNLhQ