Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/14/20 2:33 p.m.

Hey guys,

My 79 RX-7 has had the same Falken Azenis on it for the better part of 8 years(yes I know that's way too long). I bought the tires used from a fellow forum member, and they were in good shape. I don't do any motorsports with the car anymore, but I do like these tires. The size is 205/50-15. Should I just get another set of these as I like them, or is there a better option? Up until last summer I hadn't been driving the car much, but I put a lot of miles on it last summer, and hope to do the same this summer.  Also I have the option to use the 14" LE wheels I had on the car before, or two different sets of 13" wheels including the stock waffles wheels or a set of Almex Keyhole wheels. The idea of going back to 13's or 14's doesn't do much for me, but it would make the car more original. I do like the 15" Auto Bahn's though , even though they're not in the best condition.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
4/14/20 3:52 p.m.

Azenis rt615? The 200TW tire?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/14/20 3:56 p.m.
fatallightning said:

Azenis rt615? The 200TW tire?

I think so, but I don't remember. I'll have to check. They're old, really old!! Lol 

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
4/14/20 4:09 p.m.

If you're not motorsporting, a good max performance tire as opposed to extreme peformance tire you have now is where I would look. Something like a Continental Extreme Contact Sport or Michelin Pilot 4S are generally regarded as top of the class at the moment.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/14/20 4:29 p.m.

My cheapo recommendation is a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. I've had a set on my Ralliart wagon (FWD, 3000 lbs, 162/162, auto) since fall, and have been extremely pleased with them. Great dry traction, super in the rain (even the heavy FL downpours), quiet. I call them the poor man's Extreme Contact Sport. They've even been acceptable for autocross once when the miata wouldn't start.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/14/20 5:50 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

My cheapo recommendation is a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. I've had a set on my Ralliart wagon (FWD, 3000 lbs, 162/162, auto) since fall, and have been extremely pleased with them. Great dry traction, super in the rain (even the heavy FL downpours), quiet. I call them the poor man's Extreme Contact Sport. They've even been acceptable for autocross once when the miata wouldn't start.

Wait, you have a Ralliart wagon? Those are really rare. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
4/14/20 5:59 p.m.
Mazdax605 said:

The size is 205/50-15. 

Just added 205/50/15 Yoko AD08 on my Integra, love them. Aboslutely fantastic for my DD duties. 

Had Yoko AD07/Yoko A050 over the years, and now A052 on my Elise . 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/14/20 7:23 p.m.
Mazdax605 said:

Yeah, only a few hundred imported. Sadly, only with the automatic transmission.

It's still fun to drive, and has been a reliable daily since 2009. 

We'll see if I keep it. Bought a WRX wagon on Friday.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/14/20 7:28 p.m.
Mazdax605 said:

Yeah, only a few hundred imported. Sadly, only with the automatic transmission.

It's still fun to drive, and has been a reliable daily since 2009. 

We'll see if I keep it. Bought a WRX wagon on Friday.

I love those Ralliart wagons! What color? 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CLvJbdBgJyzzy8xUwDnF53yvh2pWy3D7wC7qi1BjPPALKdzJaRMQiIuoeU9SAXjt