jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
4/22/18 10:11 p.m.

simply put, my wife has taken a shine to them, and they seem cheap enough. 

is the automatic reliable? serviceable? replaceable?

i have heard the seat heaters catch fire. any info on this?

hows the panoramic sunroof hold up over time?

the 3.0LSi motor a good engine?

anything odd with the AWD system, i should know?

ive seen 6SPD manuals listed. is this worth the slightly extra price?

are they all AWD? are all the 6SPD ones AWD?

do they all come with a 3.0L?

thanks guys, your the best!

-J0N

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
4/23/18 6:09 a.m.
jr02518
jr02518 Reader
4/23/18 8:35 a.m.

Jon,

My wife DD's a 2005 3.0 and other than the oil pan gasket that BMW thinks is a ware item it's been very reliable. I took it to the dealer on purchase and had them change all the fluids.  Yes, other than the transmission.  They did change the seal at the transmission shift linkage, another ware item.  When the front diff is serviced there is a software interface, again dealer make work?

The intake valves on these direct injection engines will need to be cleaned at some point, manifold off and walnut shell blasted.  They will through a code, continue to run and to compensate just run richer. 

After 2005 the transmissions switched to the "other than GM" box.  The later auto can be serviced, again just costs more.

They do eat brakes, at least the way my wife  drive's her's.  Everything gets tossed. Brake sensors are one and done, the pads eat the rotors, but they do work really well stopping the 4000 lb 4wd  SUV.  It's fun to drive, I only get seat time when it's getting worked on.

Next she wants the X5. Bigger, heaver and more frequent gas.  But they did make a diesel. 

white_fly
white_fly Reader
4/23/18 8:38 a.m.

We don't do "request for info" threads, we do "learn me" threads. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r1OEhjsyokRF9t6q8Shj2A3v7hQWHHMPEqrDF5NIJfssKemliMqqSfCkOSieGHlP