1 2
Alfa_Sam
Alfa_Sam New Reader
5/16/13 11:04 a.m.

I am going to resurrect this thread to hijack it for a quick question. Got the '88 Porsche 944 running last night, did all the necessary replacements (all belts (T/balance shaft/drive/PS), hoses, water pump, thermostat, cleaned injectors, replaced the fuel lines (still have a few to go) front engine seals, etc), but I have a question about the cooling system. I followed the link above, poured water/coolant into the upper hose to fill the block and head, filled the system up through the overflow tank. I even went so far as to remove the bleed screw, use a tiny funnel and fill the head up that way with water and coolant). After getting the engine running and letting it warm up, I let it heat cycle a few times with the fans coming on, turned the engine off, opened the bleed bolt, some steam came out, but the pressure dropped and I never got water out of the bleeder. Restarted the car, it cycled the fan a few times, turned it off, opened the bleeder, nothing came out. On my Alfas, when I open the bleeder, I will get some air and them some coolant, I never got coolant out of the Porsche bleeder. Is this normal?

To make sure i was not doing any damage, I put my no-touch thermometer on different parts of the engine and things seemed to be OK, checking head temps near each spark plug and they were about 180, the housing for the upper hose was about 160, about the same as the upper hose. The temp guage on the dash never got out of the normal range.

Any thoughts on this?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XqMHYkLmuJRYCxSTu6j8ARbDQVMfEZliEoP8f4vVVhBfNtwQMdnmlrFaj4mDfyAf