1 2 3 4
fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
3/30/15 9:03 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

I didn't say they can't make a relevant product, I said they haven't produced a relevant car. They are uglified versions of Ford models. There is a market for that. Just like there is a market for re-badged Honda's and Toyota's. It worked great for GM for many years selling 4+ versions of the same car. But how long will that last?

Anyone with half a brain will simply order a top of the line Ford (which happens to be prettier) and put all the money they saved in their pocket. In this day of informed buyers, an actual different product is, IMHO, essential in the long run.

What is great about that Lincoln concept is not only that it looks better than any Lincoln right now. It's mostly that it IS a Lincoln, and not another re-badged Ford.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
3/30/15 9:05 a.m.

I like it. Its damn prettier than anything Lincoln is offering now and has a real luxury car look and feel too it as opposed to the "tarted up Ford" look they've been pushing for too long.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/30/15 9:10 a.m.

Wrong name. It'll never be called a Continental. It'll be some alpha numeric bs like MMK-C. Cause only numbers and letters sell.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/30/15 9:10 a.m.

Other then the massive amount of chrome and the ugly wheels, it is a good looking car.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
3/30/15 9:14 a.m.

I think it needs the chrome to be a non-Euro luxury car.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
3/30/15 9:14 a.m.

That side view suggests they should drop the "Continental" moniker and try something else, like say "Mulsanne" maybe?

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
3/30/15 9:15 a.m.

The bodyline on the side was taken from the '56 Continental. And the grille was inspired by the same.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/30/15 9:16 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: Looks like you guys took the color from Barry Wolk's '56 Continental that you had in there for a while.

Similar but not the same, but yes that car and color are gorgeous, it was in the Lincoln Studio for several months.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/30/15 9:22 a.m.
fanfoy wrote: Anyone with half a brain will simply order a top of the line Ford (which happens to be prettier) and put all the money they saved in their pocket. In this day of informed buyers, an actual different product is, IMHO, essential in the long run.

I don't get this. That's like saying why would anyone buy an Audi when they can buy a VW, or why would you buy a VW when you can buy a Seat, or why would you buy a Seat when you can buy a Skoda. They are all the same car right? Ditto the Dodge Dart, Chrysler 200, Alfa Giulietta and Fiat Ottimo.

Lincolns don't share any exterior panels with Ford products these days. They share a platform, but so do many many cars across different manufactures. The MkC is longer and wider than the Escape, it gets engines you can't get in the Ford. It has comepltly differnt interior with different features, but sure it's the same car?!?!?!?!

toad9977
toad9977 Reader
3/30/15 9:43 a.m.

The rear and the wheel combo makes it look a little similar to the last generation of the Saab 9-5. I approve.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/30/15 9:48 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

A few years ago, there was a ton of overlap in VW and Audi product lines. The Passat was nearly identical to the A4. The VW interior was damn near equal in both content and finish. This was also when VW offered their most "WTF?" model ever: the Phaeton. A great car on its own, but why buy it when you could get an Audi? I was in a new Passat recently and I have to admit I'd be hard pressed to buy any Audi over the VW that costs a lot less. It's really that nice.

Now I'm not saying the entire line is like that, but I still feel there needs to be a greater destinction between the brands. It's good to hear Ford is starting to do that with Lincoln. It's been a long time coming. But what Lincoln really needs is a real "halo car" that will compete with the A8, 7-series, S-Class, LS, etc. Something that can really set Lincoln apart from the rest of Ford. Hopefully a new Continental can do that. The next step would be to divorce Lincoln dealers from Ford dealers.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/15 9:58 a.m.

That is a beautiful car. The wheel kind of remind me of the turbine style wheels, though I could do without the large flat faces on the blades.

Adrian_Thompson said: I don't get this. That's like saying why would anyone buy an Audi when they can buy a VW, or why would you buy a VW when you can buy a Seat, or why would you buy a Seat when you can buy a Skoda.

I would consider a SEAT but only so I could call my car Leon the Leon

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
3/30/15 10:01 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
fanfoy wrote: Anyone with half a brain will simply order a top of the line Ford (which happens to be prettier) and put all the money they saved in their pocket. In this day of informed buyers, an actual different product is, IMHO, essential in the long run.
I don't get this. That's like saying why would anyone buy an Audi when they can buy a VW, or why would you buy a VW when you can buy a Seat, or why would you buy a Seat when you can buy a Skoda. They are all the same car right? Ditto the Dodge Dart, Chrysler 200, Alfa Giulietta and Fiat Ottimo. Lincolns don't share any exterior panels with Ford products these days. They share a platform, but so do many many cars across different manufactures. The MkC is longer and wider than the Escape, it gets engines you can't get in the Ford. It has comepltly differnt interior with different features, but sure it's the same car?!?!?!?!

You are sort of proving my point. Those are all normal car brands. Not premium luxury car brands. When you pay the big bucks for your luxury car, you don't want it to be based on an "ordinary" car. And you are giving european examples which are successful because of the very varied cultural nature of Europe.

I will concede that the MkC is Lincoln's best effort to now, but there is no reason why the Ford couldn't get the same engine, except marketing BS. And seriously, a larger vehicle????

2015 MkC dimensions:
Wheelbase 105.9
Length 179.2
Height 65.2
Width - Excluding Mirrors 73.4
Width - Including Mirrors 84.1
Width - Mirrors Folded 76.3
Front Track 62.4
Rear Track 62.5

2015 Ford Escape dimensions:
Wheelbase (in.) 105.9
Length (in.) 178.1
Vehicle height (without options) (in.) 66.3
Vehicle width with mirrors (in.) 81.8
Vehicle width without mirrors (in.) 72.4
Vehicle width with mirrors folded (in.) 75
Track, front (in.) 61.5
Track, rear (in.) 61.6

WOW...you got a entire extra inch in a lot of those dimensions....that makes ALL the difference in the world. End sarcasm.

I'm sorry if that comes out like I am a jerk, but this is exactly the kind of marketing BS that people are getting tired of.

Seriously, I hope Lincoln gets their E36 M3 together, and start offering cars like that Continental concept.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
3/30/15 10:15 a.m.

Fanfoy, people also buy on looks and feature content, and the Lincolns look much better, and different than the Fords, and have much nicer interior materials and finishes. The MKZ doesn't look like a cheap Aston, like the Fusion, and the MKC looks much more upscale than the Escape.

Using the same platform is common, but that's not a simple rebadge, like the old GM Nova/Omega/Ventura/Apollo tyype rebadging. When you only share a few hardpoints and some stuff you can't see, then that's smart use of resources. With all of the exterior and interior looking and feeling different, it's not a rebadge, even if some of the specs seem pretty close.

It's not even like the old days of the Camaro/Firebird. You got cars aimed at different people, who specifically liked the looks of each, even though under the nearly identical skin they were identical. In this case, they don't even share nearly identical skins and glass.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/30/15 10:33 a.m.

That thing looks great. I hate the wheels - they remind me of a Kia Optima. Not a car I could ever see myself buying, but it sure looks like a nice place to sit and go for ride, or maybe even better, a nice place to sit in the back seat and be taken for a ride. Some of the comments above are interesting. For example, I for one had no idea that Lincoln was supposedly the luxury Ford brand. I thought they were just Fords with ugly grills and silly MKx type names.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
3/30/15 10:38 a.m.

I think it looks great. Would totally rock one if I made big $$$.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/30/15 10:40 a.m.

IS that the new Chrysler 300?

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/30/15 11:39 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: IS that the new Chrysler 300?

Nope, its not enough based on a 20yo Mercedes platform to be considered that.

FWIW, everything speculated on this that I have seen claims FWD/AWD for the final production version.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
3/30/15 11:45 a.m.
yamaha wrote:
wvumtnbkr wrote: IS that the new Chrysler 300?
Nope, its not enough based on a 20yo Mercedes platform to be considered that. FWIW, everything speculated on this that I have seen claims FWD/AWD for the final production version.

Then you must not have read the very first link in this thread that states that it'll be RWD and then has another link saying it'll be RWD.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/30/15 11:51 a.m.

If it makes it to the showroom, it will be the best thing Lincoln has done in a long time. Nice looking car. Caddy left them in the dust years ago, and the Chysler 300 stole some sales too. Its going to be a tough job to catch up.

TGMF
TGMF New Reader
3/30/15 11:56 a.m.

I think it looks fantastic. Its boldly American, like the Chrysler 300. But not over the top and done far better. I love how the exhaust tips flow with the rest of the rear end. The chrome strip even looks great all the way around. I typically hate chrome.

As others have said, since I'm in my 30's I've never seen a Lincoln that make me look once, much less twice.I see them as below Acura, not really even really a player in the Luxury car world. Some of that is probably perception, most reality. So this is a exciting turn to see from Lincoln.

And hell yes, use the name Continental. Its one even someone as bitter as I am towards the brand knows to mean "Continental" to be something special.For some reason, my mind glosses over all the 90's-2000's era of the big C, and goes to the suicide door body from when Lincoln was relevant. I can just imagine a salesman showing customers around the showroom..."Here we have a MKS, and the MKZ,the XYZ, and on the podium, our flagship car, the Continental". I mean really...what one do you want to check out first?

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/30/15 12:13 p.m.
Chris_V wrote:
DeadSkunk wrote: Horrid wheels, overly fussy styling on the headlights and a chromed Kia grille.The overall shape is nice, but too much street bling in the detailing.
I agree about the wheels, but the rest of your comment is on crack. Kia grille? Not even close. I love that 3/4 view and C pillar shape. This car is American luxury all over. It's not another stupid wannabe euro sedan, which we don't need more of. And I love the blue interior. About time we got something other than black, grey or tan. And while the bling is a bit show car extravagant, it needs to be a non-Euro interior, too:

I think the Kia grille looks better than this. And I never wanted to be a pimp anyway. PASS

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/30/15 12:15 p.m.

In reply to RossD:

I don't trust autoblog, but IIRC C&D was claiming fwd/awd if it went into production, but that the concept car itself was rwd.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
3/30/15 12:17 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: What is great about that Lincoln concept is not only that it looks better than any Lincoln right now. It's mostly that it IS a Lincoln...

THIS!

It's like they're finally finding their mojo.

This thing looks fantastic. Love the rear 3/4 view.

Yeah it's a little brash. That's just fine. Some of the show car concept bling will tone down in production. They need to keep the shape and bulge intact though.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
3/30/15 12:40 p.m.

Is this on the new D6 platform or is it a stretched CD4?

As fot the Chrysler comments, the 300 was distincty American sedan looking and that served it well. This one has elements of that distinctly American style, with some of the high end bentley thrown in, as well as obvious cues from the '56 Continental. It's exactly what we need as American luxury instead of yet another Euro clone wannabe. And chrome. Deusenberg SJ levels of it.

I'm still not loving the wheels, but that's an easy change. Even though these are just generic Enkeis, i think they help:

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4KDL5SU3yn7vQRg86LviYXWevIkTGyChok8fw5JQbFS2dQPWjX7TsYOkYQ5R8r6E