1 2 3 4
ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
3/30/15 12:49 p.m.

I love the way the car looks. It's not overstated on the outside (well, not terribly) and the interior is amazing. I love all the chrome and the blue leather. When I flipped to the interior shots I was expecting borign black leather, maybe tan if they were feeling spicy....and then I did a double take. "Is that all chrome? And blue leather? Holy E36 M3!" That looks really strange in a modern car...but only because it's so outside the expected. I kept thinking that it felt familiar...like it reminded me of something, but I couldn't quite figure it out. Then they showed the shots of the interior in the '64 and it all clicked. All the detail, the acres of chrome, the blue....it just nailed the taste and feel of those old Rat Pack era interiors, but it's straight out of tomorrow somehow. It's like walking into futuristic airport if it had evolved without losing the jet-age glamour of 1962. Job well done.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
3/30/15 1:03 p.m.

no suicide doors

skierd
skierd SuperDork
3/30/15 1:05 p.m.

Give me a bench back seat with decent MPG's and I'm in.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/30/15 1:23 p.m.

Imagine that car with some homie driving it with his hat on backwards and a few baggies on the seat beside him. Because that will a big part of the market. For that reason, I'm out.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
3/30/15 1:52 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Trust me, we know what Lincoln is and should be. Kumar Galhotra is the head of Lincoln and David Woodhouse is head of Lincoln Design. While David is a Brit, he's a true car guy and has spent many years living in the US before going back to the UK for a while, he's been back in the US of about 18 months now since he took over Lincoln Design.

I'm glad you think that, because I don't. Especially looking at sales. And looks.

I know you point out that the MKC is selling well, as is the MKZ, but both are SO VERY CLOSE to their Ford derivative that I have no idea what Lincoln really means. Since the Matt commercials are so vauge, it fits into what I see it being, right now. And without the Matt commercials, I don't see either being that hot. Then, hot is relative, too- if you compare their sales to the Fusion and Escape, well- those two are the next best selling cars to the F150.

Lets put it this way, I'm not confident. I wish I was- I really do. I want Lincoln to sell lots and lots of products and make lots and lots of money. Shore up my pension some more.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
3/30/15 1:52 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: Is this on the new D6 platform or is it a stretched CD4?

I'll bet neither.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
3/30/15 2:57 p.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: Imagine that car with some homie driving it with his hat on backwards and a few baggies on the seat beside him. Because that will a big part of the market. For that reason, I'm out.

I don't even know where to begin with that...

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
3/30/15 3:16 p.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: Imagine that car with some homie driving it with his hat on backwards and a few baggies on the seat beside him. Because that will a big part of the market. For that reason, I'm out.

You know there are bad sterotypes of drivers of pretty much every car out there. If you use that as your benchmark on what to drive, you might as well not drive. It's patently stupid to like or dislike a car brand/model because of who else you think MIGHT be driving one.

"OMG, a luxury car might be driven by someone I don't like. I'll never buy one!" Pretty childish and so very "high school clique."

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/30/15 3:31 p.m.

I'm impressed by this car. It's distinct. Its own thing. I think every brand needs something that defines it and this could really do it for Lincoln.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/30/15 3:34 p.m.

To clarify, I guess I wouldn't be in the market anyway although I really do like it. but I do see it attracting the wrong sort of buyer. Its like that current pit bull thread. Love the car but dislike what I suspect will be the company.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/15 4:12 p.m.

'Dat ass!!

Other than the wheels, I love it. I could definitely see me buying one used. I hope they depreciate like most Lincoln's, that will put it in my price range all the faster.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/30/15 4:32 p.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: To clarify, I guess I wouldn't be in the market anyway although I really do like it. but I do see it attracting the wrong sort of buyer. Its like that current pit bull thread. Love the car but dislike what I suspect will be the company.

"The wrong sort of buyer"? "The company"? I'm pretty sure nobody is going to make you hang out with other people who own the same car as you.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
3/30/15 6:37 p.m.

It's about time Ford did something with Lincoln. Well, it's about 12 years past that time, but better late than never. Good for them.

-Good for them to go with a blue interior for the concept. I'm not gonna lie, a part of me likes "Broughamy" cars. My parents had a 1986 Olds 98 Regency Brougham that was our family car while I was growing up. It was Navy Blue with a vinyl top and a Navy Blue vinyl interior. I was there when my dad filled out the order sheet and when we picked it up, and it was like a space ship to my 4 year old eyes with it's digital dash and voice module. This concept immediately reminded me of that car, but for the modern age. They need to bring back some color to interiors! I hope they offer Parisian Brothel Red too. You can leave the Crushed Snail Green back in the 70's though.

-I like the body shape, and I can see some of the classic 60's Continental lines in there, especially out back. As much as I don't like the new LED headlamp designs (I'm looking at you, Acura), it was a nice touch to see the Lincoln emblem AS the LED's.

-Lots of tech is what it needs to compete. This car has all of that.

Dislikes:

-I know the V6 Ecoboost is a powerful engine, but it needs to have a damn V8 on the option list! A big, imposing American luxury sedan should have eight cylinders, or more. A modern Lincoln V12 would RULE.

-Those wheels are terrible. The Photoshop above fixes that, but they should be good right from the factory.

-Is this thing RWD? It better damn be.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
3/30/15 7:22 p.m.

Needs a v8 and rwd drive then in 20 years I can buy one, cut the mufflers off and stick all terrain tires under it.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
3/30/15 7:41 p.m.

I like it, if for no other reason than Lincoln has no business selling cars without a model in their lineup by the name "Continental." And oh yeah, they need to fire the committee of dumbasses that thought it was a good idea to name all their cars with three letters, two of which are M and K.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/15 7:44 p.m.

now to bring back the towncar....

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
3/30/15 7:46 p.m.

Yeah, "Mk" used to mean something when attached to Lincolns and followed by roman numerals. They kinda ruined that.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/30/15 9:35 p.m.

Enkei sells the RFP1 in 19" diameters. I think they'd look the business on this thing.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/15 9:46 p.m.

Gawd, I love this! The blue interior is the business, and the overall shape is great. The KIA-esque grill might need a tweak, but it's light-years ahead of the last 35 years of Lincoln grills. I dig the EcoBoost.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
3/30/15 9:48 p.m.

They had a blurb on this on the evening news. It's going cost up into six figures.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
3/30/15 10:30 p.m.

No good can come of this, Chris V and I actually agree on something.

I sense a great disturbance in the force.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/15 7:59 a.m.

Loose the wheels and they have a winner.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
3/31/15 8:03 a.m.

So when does the Crown Vic version come out?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/31/15 10:09 a.m.

Uh-oh.....

http://jalopnik.com/bentley-designer-calls-out-lincoln-continental-in-bruta-1694753569

Do you want us to send the product tooling? That’s what Bentley designer Luc Donckerwolke posted on Lincoln designer David Woodhouse’s Facebook page, a comment that was swiftly deleted but captured by the excellent Car Design News. Let me tell you, Bentley went off on Lincoln. Donckerwolke also posted on his own Facebook calling out the 2016 Lincoln Continental as a ripoff. “I would have called it a Flying Spur concept and kept the four round lights.” Another designer commented “I thought this was only done in China? Finally a ‘Bentley for the masses’ though...”

I gotta say, he has a point.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/31/15 12:14 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

Ouch. But the truth stings...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EUl9yU25W3A8j9wNb3JmC3hFKQndn9h4AGuGtFDNh9FR8jl8nM8hAGJWYf9jopWl