Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/17/23 8:51 a.m.

Like a lot of Americans, I follow football. And when my beloved Jaguars reach the playoffs, I’ll drop everything and rearrange my schedule to watch them play. 

I’m usually out in L.A. for SEMA meetings during the playoffs, and I’ll do whatever it takes to find a bar showing the game. I have juggled getting together with Jay Leno for …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/17/23 11:36 a.m.

And a rather timely happy birthday to John Morton. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/17/23 12:28 p.m.

We had a regional branch manager that told our branch manager that he was too nice.  He encouraged him to be a dick and be harder on people.  Regional finally retired.  

I try to be kind as in the scheme of the whole thing, this is all minor E36 M3.  No need to get all worked up over this world.  

Ebby
Ebby GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/17/23 1:28 p.m.

Treat yourself well too. It counts for a great deal of your happiness.

Mike E

apexdc
apexdc New Reader
2/17/23 2:22 p.m.

Phil Conte, who knew lots of drivers and ran some great programs such as the IMSA GTP Buicks, once told me if somebody didn't like John Morton, there was just something wrong with them. 

I couldn't agree more. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
2/17/23 2:51 p.m.

I O sono contento, Sempre (I am glad always).

Regardless of whether your no name club racer (me) or the aforementioned John Morton the key is to realize that we are blessed. I know so many people who would absolutely love to be on track but will never get the opportunity. Sure I never became 125cc GP world champ or race F1 I've done a lot of cool things. The inner calm that brings is priceless.

Even at the local level I'm always looking to improve or for an opportunity to improve. Racing is the only reason I've managed to be successful in my work life. Racing taught me to keep my eyes and ears open for opportunity.

Whether running the Challange or challenging for a RunOffs win; we are blessed to be able to do this.

SCCA43
SCCA43 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/14/24 1:35 p.m.

Jay Leno is a car collector, not a racer.

DavyZ
DavyZ New Reader
1/14/24 3:00 p.m.
SCCA43 said:

Jay Leno is a car collector, not a racer.

"I see that same fire in car guys like Jay Leno or, on the track, John Morton, Randy Pobst and David Hobbs."  

The statement never said he was a racer.  He is a total car guy, though.  Nice guys who win always have a following that lasts and they are fondly remembered by their fans.  Difficult people are often forgotten simply because no one truly desires to remember them.  The kind people I have met have made the greatest impacts on my life, not the shiny happy people.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/14/24 5:02 p.m.

On a similar note..

I read a very relevant testimonial/tribute to Nick Saban this morning - and I feel compelled to share it

(I don't know this guy but his post came up in my feed so he must watch Kevin Bacon movies or something)

erdocmitch
erdocmitch New Reader
1/15/24 3:25 p.m.

Nice is Nice. 

We need to be inclusive and nice to people to keep this hobby alive.  I can't rent out Sebring for a track day or club race.  I need my Spec Miata and Champcar fellow racers to split the costs- same with autocross, car shows, cars and coffee  or just wrenching in the garage.   It feels great to be encouraging, approachable and you know, nice.

JeremyGS
JeremyGS New Reader
1/15/24 3:44 p.m.

Thanks Tim, great topic.    Looking at it another way.....  As I have watched the grill of on one of most of our favorite sports cars transform from a happy guppy to an angry little bird of pray, one has to ask, does all this “in your face attitude” that seems so prevalent in our society these days really beneficial to a social species such as our own?  Of course automobile grills are just a reflection of design/marketing think buyers want, but it’s a reflection on us as a whole I think.

mcloud
mcloud New Reader
1/15/24 5:08 p.m.

Strolling the midway at Lime Rock, I recognized Mr. Suddard from his GR photo, coming my way.  I greeted him with thanks for good magazines, and continued onward.  I'm sure he would taken the time to engage in car talk, but I didn't want to delay him.  I would count Tim Suddard as one of those champions.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/15/24 5:50 p.m.

In reply to the thread title....  

Winning?  Or at least being consistently near the front.

Pretty sure that's the answer.

Lolz.

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/16/24 12:30 a.m.

I think you summed up the essence of what makes Motorsports the incredibly appealing place to be that it is. There are lots of good people engaged in serious competition with everyone else but mostly they are decent approachable people who can and will be friendly and helpful when the chips are down. Sure there are cutthroat individuals but most aren't. I enjoyed my time doing it and had a great time. Many wonderful people I encountered will never be forgotten.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
1/16/24 6:25 a.m.

"Nice guys finish last"...

...couldn't be further from the truth

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
1/16/24 6:45 a.m.

We will all be forgotten fairly quickly, but being miserable while we are alive to me is the biggest waste of living in the greatest country to ever be during the greatest time that has ever been (from a quality of life perspective).

Nothing in life is easier or more fulfilling than giving to someone else. A smile, a helping hand, love, it's a resource we all have plenty of and it's the only gift that provides equally for both parties of the transaction. Don't be a dik.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2RK0KANYsV93FL8Acj71kmWmUXrcpK7g6bb4hhuh8sLkLRxshX4dUcsj90rS3zZU