Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/23/21 2:26 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/rP2-UHXJ3pU

Need to sum up hillclimbing for someone? Send them​​​​​​ this video of Travis Pastrana beating his own record at the Mt. Washington Hillclimb as an introduction.

Not only does it feature the many unique challenges that hillclimb events offer–like narrow, uneven public roads and very little margin for error–but it also helps to convey just how fast purpose-built race cars can …

Watch more videos

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/23/21 3:19 p.m.

5:28 of pure code brown

imgon
imgon HalfDork
8/23/21 9:01 p.m.

That road is scary at walking pace! Travis is an amazing driver. Interesting to watch his facial expressions. There are a few places where it seems to go from extreme concentration to O- E36M3. Would have love to have watched it in person. One of my kids was at the mountain on Saturday and had a chance encounter with Travis and got to talk to him for a minute. Pretty chill guy with incredible talent.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
8/23/21 10:44 p.m.

Quite a ride!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/24/21 10:44 a.m.

My short (lame) Pastrana story. Years ago, when he was just moving from bikes to cars, we had him on the cover. I saw him at SEMA soon after and handed him a copy of that issue. He was very polite, humble and appreciative. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/24/21 10:51 a.m.

Don't get me wrong, Pikes Peak seams wild, but seeing how fast he was going on such narrow roads gave me a new appreciation for Pastrana.

At no point did it feel like he eased off the power. He looked like he was at 120% the whole time.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
8/24/21 11:28 a.m.

Man that is the definition of driving being an art right there. Amazing.

bigben
bigben Reader
8/25/21 1:56 p.m.

Anybody notice how fast the digital speed display changes. Holy acceleration and braking, Batman!

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/26/21 11:01 a.m.

That is mind-blowing.  My hands got sweaty just watching it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GnXUx0m35nPkQDrG4Ujq9teEg0isZG6XlG0H7GEkfIjoF2qPZgzqKxy8zT6JsVba