chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
5/30/16 7:44 p.m.

I'm going up with three friends for an IMSA/Continental Road Race Showcase weekend. I'd appreciate any tips about the track including best spectating locations. Seems as if it might be fun to watch at the Kink.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
5/30/16 8:18 p.m.

Coming into turn 5 is good - also the view coming out of Canada corner is good although with all the new(ish) fencing and barriers, there's not a ton of good, close, views without obstructions.

toad9977
toad9977 Reader
5/30/16 8:59 p.m.

I agree with oldtin. 5 is a great turn, lots of passing there. You can also walk up the straight and hang out pretty much right on the track. Fun view to watch the cars slow from 150ish to the slowest turn. Canada is a fun turn as well. Still a good spectating spot even with the renovations there. The "Hurry Downs" area is a good spot. Not the best passing action, but probably the longest stretch of track you can see at once. Sit on the hill and see the cars in turns 6, 7, and 8.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
5/31/16 9:47 a.m.

When I went to RA to spectate I almost never sat in one place to watch a race. I moved around. Starting at turn #1 and walking the track and viewing the race at various turns. Of course some people want to set up a grill & canopy, set up chairs and have a big cooler nearby so that's not an option for them.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
5/31/16 10:14 a.m.

I did a lot of walking around too. My only complaint was walking along the fence at Kettle Bottoms (the bit before Canada Corner) I couldn't plug both of my ears and hold my beer. I guess wasn't smart enough to bring protection!

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
5/31/16 11:49 a.m.

Thanks to all. I like walking.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
5/31/16 12:57 p.m.

I've been there a lot. Lots of walking - you can ride bicycles - just nothing motorized unless it has plates.

They also have a free golf cart taxi service. My daughter at 7-9 years old loved it and if it's a quiet day (usually Friday) you stay on as long as you want - like an hour. I saw parts of the track that were new to me after 40+ years.

Food is great. I could write a book of my experiences from the late 1960's Can Am race to last years vintage.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FnejTCIbHy0sJcWMhcqkHsTbwES9JqmRo0onvbehQuw6bswIiiyih4RCjfiS01pA