Strictly_Attitude
Strictly_Attitude New Reader
6/21/17 7:56 a.m.

I am building a road race chevelle I am just finishing up the engine it will be just shy of 600hp and around 580tq. I am looking for the cheapest options for a manual trans that will live behind this I will changing rear gear soon so I can gear rear for trans. My car already has a 700r4 in it so driveshaft is proper length for tko600. Just wondering what else it out there and is there any cheaper budget options.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/17 8:22 a.m.

An old school 4 speed. With that much hp and torque having 5 or 6 gears is nice but not really necessary especially if the vehical is a track car and not seeing much street service.

Friend of mine built a big block camaro and he put a four speed behind it because it was basically bullet proof and cheap. We called it the one shift wonder as he only had one up shift and one down shift running the entire road course at NHIS. He owned a well known ford speed shop and on line speed parts buisness catering to fords. He can basically have any trans he wants in his car. But as he put it with transmissions more gears are not always better.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/21/17 8:31 a.m.

A good Super T-10 comes to mind first. Old Nascar take-offs are a good option if you're in that area of the country to have Nascar shops around.

Strictly_Attitude
Strictly_Attitude New Reader
6/21/17 9:13 a.m.

Good options will have to look into the 4 speed option.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
6/21/17 10:33 a.m.

One possibility from a budget point of view is the LT1 T56 from a 93-97 F-body. These go for around $1,200 since most everyone wants the LSx style T56. If your 383 has a 1pc RMS you can just bolt it up with a standard LT1 pressure plate and clutch. Again, this is a budget choice, not the perfect solution.

Do you have a preference for or against using a hydraulic clutch? Will your racing/trackday organization require an SFI bellhousing?

Keep in mind that with a 4-speed like a Super T10 or Muncie, you need an external shifter & linkage which can add some $$$ unless you are really good at finding swapmeet deals.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/21/17 10:53 a.m.

M22 Severe duty build from AGC should be about 2.5K delivered and you pick the ratio's. Would live behind that car forever, they work in the 600hp range on drag cars so road racing is a piece of cake.

http://www.autogear.net/motorsports/

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/21/17 10:55 a.m.

I went 3 speed truck trans. With a 1:1 final drivr, broad torque curve, and proper gearing you dever have to shift. And nobody wants them. So essentially free and indestructible to boot.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
6/21/17 11:02 a.m.

https://shop.quaife.co.uk/chevrolet-chevy-ls-six-speed-rear-wheel-drive-sequential-gearbox

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
6/21/17 11:23 a.m.

Look into a Jerico 4 or 5 speed.

SeaDave's T-56 suggestion isnt going to be the most durable thing behind that power in a racing application. Look to the roundy round guys.

Nessumsar
Nessumsar New Reader
6/21/17 11:26 a.m.

Tex Racing or G-Force used Nascar box. Should be under $2000 for a fairly fresh unit and it will never break at that power level.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
6/21/17 2:47 p.m.
Nessumsar wrote: Tex Racing or G-Force used Nascar box. Should be under $2000 for a fairly fresh unit and it will never break at that power level.

add the jerico to this mix and shop the used Nascar sites, you will want one for the road race cars because even the tranny's use different ratio's, but you CAN find a good M22 for a thou and if you aren't Too abusive it can last a while

Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer New Reader
6/21/17 6:31 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: M22 Severe duty build from AGC should be about 2.5K delivered and you pick the ratio's. Would live behind that car forever, they work in the 600hp range on drag cars so road racing is a piece of cake. http://www.autogear.net/motorsports/

Plus Juan. I'm putting a M23 Severe Duty in my A-Sedan Camaro this year, simply because I want something I can thrash on and have it last.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/22/17 1:36 p.m.

I have a TNET1247 Viper-spec T56 converted with GM front and rear goodies ready to bolt in, but with what I have in it, it would NOT be a budget option. It would also require a viper yoke because I kept the Viper output shaft and bored out a GM tailhousing.

I'll second the T10 idea.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ir1YKEc9uktsR612w9kHFaIHo8tK4iqI2uWfVPHr9DwX9oZvLmbQ0bVCKldGqphz