1 2 3
akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
5/28/17 7:55 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: In reply to akylekoz: The only issue there is they have a limit of how many vehicles you can store in your account. I believe it's about 20. That seems like a lot, but my race car alone has parts from like 7 or 8 different makes/ models/ years.

Sounds like you need another account. I may open one with my work e-mail address for the DD fleet.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/17 8:56 a.m.

Jaguar parts shipped in from Europe are way cheaper than anything local. Yes there is a wait time but worth it. Replaceable ball joints are $30 each plus $30 shipping. The only option here in the states is to replace the A arm at close to $200 a side.

I have been shopping them for years but always take a look at amazon as some times there are deals there that no one can touch. Like centric rotors for my Porsche delivered to my door for less than $20 each.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
5/28/17 8:57 a.m.

I use RA to look up parts but generally buy everything Amazon Prime. With an Amazon Prime card you get 5%, the free shipping is a bonus, and absolutely painless returns. Plus Amazon Warehouse Deals often times are dirty cheap.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UltraDork
5/28/17 9:18 a.m.

I normally check advance online before ordering from rock auto now. I ordered a lot of stuff from Amazon when I had prime active, their prices are as competitive without the free shipping. With rock auto you have to put things in your cart and make sure you aren't shipping from two different warehouses or they will beat you up on shipping costs.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
5/28/17 9:37 a.m.

i replaced the tie rod ends and ball joints in the front of my zephyr for less then just one balljoint cost at advanced, using moog parts on closeout. Ive had great luck with them and have recomended it too a few other people. i still shop local if i need something right away but if i can save money i do!

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
5/28/17 9:54 a.m.

I use RA frequently, and have no complaints. One time I ordered a complete exhaust system kit for my Jeep, and the sent the wrong front pipe, my front pipe was still in good condition so used everything in the kit but the pipe. I called RA customer service, they were cool about it and paid for shipping to take back the one pipe and gave me a generous credit on it. I used the credit the next week.

I've figured out how to play the shipping game with them, and nearly every time I can get what I need, in quality parts, from one Warehouse. Really, any job that I'm planning in advance, that isn't on a eurotrash car, gets parts from RA. eEuroparts still gets most of my SAAB and BMW parts business, but I do check RA for those parts too.

One other thing that RA is good for is finding part numbers of aftermarket parts. If Napa can't find a part that I need, I'll look it up on RA and give them the doorman/ac Delco/Bosch, ect part number and they can almost always cross that to part they have in the store.

CapriR/SHO
CapriR/SHO New Reader
5/28/17 10:39 a.m.

I've spent a lot of money at RockAuto and it's been worth it. Some cars that have some little nuances with some parts are difficult to deal with on RockAuto, but the parts are cheap enough that you can usually cobble together something to work!

singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
5/28/17 11:20 a.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo:

I buy quite a bit from amazon as well.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
5/28/17 11:24 a.m.

Often times I find they are a smidge higher than amazon when shipping is factored in. And I'll tell you this, the returns for rockauto are way easier when they send you the wrong stuff, compared to amazon. Amazon sucks for that.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/28/17 11:34 a.m.

Amazon isn't optimized for auto parts, so you have to be really careful what you order. Much higher incident rate getting incorrect parts there vs Rock Auto.

I've been using RA for years and I'm a loyal customer.

As mentioned, save you cars so you get closeout notifications. I find that it's a good indicator that none of the local auto parts stores are going to be stocking those parts any longer.

Another useful feature is that you can build a cart and then send it to someone else through the site. Helpful if you find yourself being the go-to mechanic in your social circle.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/28/17 12:30 p.m.
singledownloop wrote: I've never bought from this parts supplier.I noticed last night they have the lowest prices for several parts I need.Looking to find out if they are a good parts source and have decent quality parts,thanks.

Just ordered a muffler, rotors, and brake pads for a 1997 Celica from them. NAPA couldn't even get me the muffler - they have it on 6 month backorder, probably NLA. Rock Auto had it on my porch in 5 days. Not in a box, mind you - for $10 they literally taped a mailing label to it and handed it to the Fed Ex guy - but it got here soon enough.

And the brake parts were stupid cheap - like $12 for Centric semimetallic pads and $13 each for brand new Centric rotors. I was just going to do a pad slap on it, but the the rotors were so cheap I just bought them anyway.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
5/28/17 12:54 p.m.

I priced Raybestos advanced technology rotors at RA and they were way cheaper than Amazon.

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
5/28/17 1:40 p.m.

I order a lot from RA but I always check the local parts prices as well; I'm a buyer by trade so I have that engrained in me. RA is usually the best deal but from time to time they aren't any better than the local source.

Just this past week I got a new master cylinder for the tow vehicle, rotors for the wife's car and brake slider pins for my car.

My Datsun race car has rotors, pads, ignition parts, transmission bearings and u joints from RA.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/28/17 8:59 p.m.

I cant contribute anything new to this discussion as all my points were covered, but count me another BIG fan of rock auto. I buy things on Prime too and love Prime but if i have a choice around the same price and don't mind the wait i'll buy rockauto just because i love the company and would rather feed my dollars into that since Amazon does NOT need my help and is inevitably going to become another google or walmart.

I also shop Advance with online discounts if i need something ASAP.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
5/28/17 9:24 p.m.

Count me in as a huge fan of RA. I just wish they were able to focus on some lf the logistics costs and timing. Otherwise they have the qualuty, customer service, and detail oriented web interface.

Philippe819
Philippe819
2/24/19 6:30 a.m.

I buy a lot from Rockauto.

In fact, I begin to have a nice RA magnets collection.  I even have duplicates that I could trade.

If you are looking for some magnets and have some duplicates to trade, let me know!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/24/19 7:24 a.m.

Zombie thread

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
2/24/19 7:25 a.m.

I have placed over 150 orders from them. I'm good with numbers and good with small details so looking up my own parts and getting the correct stuff is fun for me.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
2/24/19 9:09 a.m.

When is a canoe not a canoe?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
2/24/19 6:09 p.m.

For those of you RockAuto users, how do you overcome the shipping costs?  Is there a way to select where something ships from to reduce the costs?  I was going to order front and rear brakes, pads and shoes from RA because it was cheaper than anywhere else.  Then the shipping hit almost $90, negating the discount.   Just ended up buying it of eBay, the parts were more expensive, but the free shipping made it about the same.

I really want to order from RA because some of the parts are crazy cheap.

-Rob

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/24/19 6:31 p.m.

They have a button to minimize costs including shipping.  What I will sometimes do is put everything in the "basket," then look at the basket with calculated shipping costs and delete what would come from a different warehouse.  For example, I need 1 each of item type 1, 2, 3, 4.  Put what I want in the basket, look, it's going to come from 3 warehouses.  Go back, put each version of 1,2,3,4 in the basket and see if there are any commonalities.  Like 1a, 2b and 3c all come from A, 4 only comes from B.  Now I'm down to 2 warehouses.  Then I compare to amazon, ebay, O'Reilley's, and see if the shipping is killing the deal.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
2/24/19 6:35 p.m.

The little truck picture next to the part. That tells you that the part comes from the same warehouse as parts you already have in your cart. Easy as pie.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/24/19 8:04 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

They have a button to minimize costs including shipping.  What I will sometimes do is put everything in the "basket," then look at the basket with calculated shipping costs and delete what would come from a different warehouse.  For example, I need 1 each of item type 1, 2, 3, 4.  Put what I want in the basket, look, it's going to come from 3 warehouses.  Go back, put each version of 1,2,3,4 in the basket and see if there are any commonalities.  Like 1a, 2b and 3c all come from A, 4 only comes from B.  Now I'm down to 2 warehouses.  Then I compare to amazon, ebay, O'Reilley's, and see if the shipping is killing the deal.

It's a little scary that you described the exact process I follow!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
2/24/19 8:25 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie said:

The little truck picture next to the part. That tells you that the part comes from the same warehouse as parts you already have in your cart. Easy as pie.

^^^^^^ I learned something new today, thanks!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/25/19 6:40 a.m.

been burned by their "customer service" one time too many. no thanks. there are plenty of other places to purchase from that will actually handle issues when they make mistakes.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Th7glVeWyyUpiOyvDpK3XexixYwA2G3ON1fUGI2QDyKQfhl9LKT2XFIhIYe6uXrX