tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/21/14 9:59 a.m.

I am going to attempt to get my challenge car e30 up to the Meadowlands for the Solo National Tour event in a couple weeks... who else will be there?

I guess that I will be in DSP with the other bimmers that will run away from me with more power and actual appropriate tires; but I don't care! This will be a major event for me since I am at the lowest point yet with my disabilities but am still determined to have some fun in life. I have not been to an actual sanctioned event in a long time and I am sure that it will be awkward for me being in such rough shape (shrug).

Will GRM bring up the Z? Maybe I will see some old friends from New England, South Jersey or Maryland? I will be the guy limping around the beat up e30 with the carbon fiber cane and probably in a GRM T shirt.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/21/14 10:04 a.m.

I'll be there in a STX mini.

tb
4/21/14 10:21 a.m.
Gimp wrote: I'll be there in a STX mini.

Sweet; I love those little cars so I will definitely try to check it out and say "Hi".

I should add that my car is number 89 and is mostly grey with patches of primer everywhere...

wrongwheeldrive
wrongwheeldrive Reader
4/21/14 2:24 p.m.

I'll be there, SMF #137.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/21/14 2:44 p.m.

No Z for that one. We've got a test-n-tune autoX here in Daytona that weekend. Our next big event is the Match Tour in atlanta on the 17-18 of May. Car should be in decent shape by then. It'll have a proper set of wheels and tires, diff, most of the suspension in place and at least some tuning done.

tb
4/21/14 2:48 p.m.
wrongwheeldrive wrote: I'll be there, SMF #137.

Excellent! I will be sure to keep an eye out for you.

It has been over a decade since I have not been in SM in some form or another; man I really miss the days when I had horsepower to spare!

tb
4/21/14 2:51 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: No Z for that one. We've got a test-n-tune autoX here in Daytona that weekend. Our next big event is the Match Tour in atlanta on the 17-18 of May. Car should be in decent shape by then. It'll have a proper set of wheels and tires, diff, most of the suspension in place and at least some tuning done.

Bummer, but I figured you might head for something closer to home. It is a longer season for you southern guys and more events to choose from I imagine.

My e30 will, hopefully, hold together until this years challenge so I will plan on seeing you in the fall with more power, better handling and a much improved exterior!

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/21/14 8:17 p.m.
tb wrote:
Gimp wrote: I'll be there in a STX mini.
Sweet; I love those little cars so I will definitely try to check it out and say "Hi". I should add that my car is number 89 and is mostly grey with patches of primer everywhere...

I've only driven it once, but it was fun. My wife and I will each be #54, warming the tires for the owners.

tb
4/22/14 8:31 a.m.

Anybody else? I suspect that there are more of us coming, but that they might actually be doing something productive like working on their cars...

I call it a victory when I can actually just show up, but I understand some people really get competitive about events like this.

wrongwheeldrive
wrongwheeldrive Reader
4/23/14 9:52 a.m.

Still thrashing over here to get the car ready for the DC prosolo this weekend. Will then probably have to thrash again next week before NJ, because street mod :P

tb
4/24/14 10:01 a.m.

In reply to wrongwheeldrive:

I am not sure where you are coming from; but I am in Philly about halfway between DC and the North Jersey site. If you run into any trouble or anything get in touch; I know a couple of well equipped driveways and such in between the two events that are always available to use.

Sadly, I work on the curb in the city and have no real room to offer help here in the city beyond a couch to crash on...

I was lucky that for the last couple of years I autocrossed that I used my well built hill climber so a simple pavement run had little chance of any breakage. I was unlucky in that the suspension and setup was horrible for technical stuff and constantly coming on and off power...

wrongwheeldrive
wrongwheeldrive Reader
4/24/14 12:17 p.m.

Car is coming from NH, but its getting towed behind my dad's truck so I should be set :)

Thanks for the offer though, see you at the meadowlands!

tb
4/24/14 1:17 p.m.

My memory is not what it used to be, but I think we may have possibly even me before... I am going to guess and say you run a blue & white turbo civic?

I lived in Mass for a couple of years and ran many events at Devens and NHMS. I mostly hung out with Leafy (miata guy), Allen (smf MINI), PJ & Jenna (sm 240sx)... I often worked sound and think I remember a SMF car that was crazy fast and almost too loud with that number.

My hillclimber at the time:

I've even got a few of these sitting around:

I might not be adding 2+2 properly, but it is possible we have crossed paths before... either way I will see you in NJ. Good luck in DC; I will not be able to make that one.

wrongwheeldrive
wrongwheeldrive Reader
4/24/14 4:20 p.m.

Your 2+2 absolutely equals 4! Supercharged crx, but close enough. And yes we cut it pretty close to the limit with the old exhaust setup :)

I'm friends with those guys as well. I drove leafy's car once last year(well, when it wasn't breaking down mid-run), and Jenna will actually be driving our car in D.C. I do recognize your car, but don't recall ever meeting you in person.

tb
4/24/14 8:29 p.m.

Good to know that I have not completely lost my mind!

I definitely recognize your car now; I have never really been a honda guy but I know that thing is a real beast!

We probably never met but there were usually big crowds up in the NER. Say hello to all those folks up there that might remember me "tb" is actually my nickname that all my friends use. I haven't been a hardcore auto-x guy for years, mostly just having fun, getting practice and using each one as test n tune... but damn I miss Devens as a great site. I actually just laughed thinking that even in such a small car that Jenna will still probably need some big cushions!

I'll be in this guy next weekend: minus the decals, homemade front air dam and plus a wing about half the size of yours... I'll be happily holding down last place, but challenge cars are not usually national contenders.

Josh
Josh SuperDork
4/24/14 8:33 p.m.

I'll be there with my S2000 in BS. Glad to be seeing that CRX back at events this year too

tb
4/24/14 8:43 p.m.

In reply to Josh:

Cool; I have always really liked the looks and handling of the S2K but sadly I do not really fit in them well enough to actually own one.

I think that I will have a legitimate worker exemption being too disabled to shag cones and without the knowledge of how to do anything else. That should give me some time to limp around and check out all of the cars there.

Leafy
Leafy Reader
4/24/14 9:22 p.m.
wrongwheeldrive wrote: Car is coming from NH, but its getting towed behind my dad's truck so I should be set :) Thanks for the offer though, see you at the meadowlands!

You just jinxed it. I guess we can stop can you can put crap in my dad's truck when yours lunches a tranny again, since you just jinxed it.

I'll be there, miata more retarded than ever, now we completely inadequate amounts of bump travel in the front.

wrongwheeldrive
wrongwheeldrive Reader
4/24/14 10:52 p.m.

Don't worry leafy, the ford only lunches trannys on trips greater than 1000mi ;)

Your car was bouncing at the last event, I can only assume it was from the lack of travel up front. Hope you get that sorted soon.

And Josh, you must be the one and only JWB ;) Your new st00k looks good!

Leafy
Leafy Reader
4/24/14 11:03 p.m.
wrongwheeldrive wrote: Don't worry leafy, the ford only lunches trannys on trips greater than 1000mi ;) Your car was bouncing at the last event, I can only assume it was from the lack of travel up front. Hope you get that sorted soon. And Josh, you must be the one and only JWB ;) Your new st00k looks good!

Yeah ah 5/8" of shock travel when in pure roll your car requires 3/4" is a problem. I've been working on redesigning these control arms so they water jetting doesnt cost $400/side for the last 4 hours. I'm getting there. I dont think they're going to be ready for jersey. I really need solid works on my desktop, my work laptop has the crappy i7 mobile so its chugging along at like 5-10 minuets per iteration.

tb
4/25/14 8:35 p.m.

Hey Leafy; long time no see

I can only assume that you have built that red miata into a turbocharged monster of over engineering? You are definitely the biggest autox geek I know and I mean that as a major compliment! I gave up even trying to explain to you that there are other forms of motorsports out there...

I'm working painfully and slowly to get ready for NJ; will probably have the ugliest car there to match my slowest status. At least my hat measures in at a respectable 15" to show that I have done this before...

Of course, I do have a bunch of stuff like a/c, cruise control, a pretty bitching sound system and AAA to get me home if needed.

Leafy
Leafy Reader
4/26/14 12:44 a.m.

Lol. You know, if I didnt know my car would instantly blow the breakout time and require actual safety equipment beyond my rock hard noggin and a comparatively soft helmet it would be at hill climbs as well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LVpYSjYvejIGk3TSXP2j0e3Nmmnecf4IF3mwxzhXw843g9eyR9udzPhGBfxwNsFN