1 2 3
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/28/20 1:54 p.m.

Earlier today I was at IAA picking up this salvage Prius.   The lot was generally pretty empty when I got there.  What was there was what I have heard before called a rolling Mexican parking lot or a Mexican train (though Mexican train also seem to have some sexual connotation as well.)  

These are the cars (or might be school busses) going down the highway with 3 cars tied together and rolling with all wheels down.  I have always been curious of these operations.   So, today, in the empty lot, I parked myself very close to where these two guys were building the train.  I had a million questions but they were busy and I knew there would be a language barrier since I don't speak Spanish.  I also sense that they are generally not legal so I didn't to pressure them with a lot of questions.  But, thinking of you guys, I took a couple pictures "on the sly."  

Blue Focus w/ Chevy Sonic

Blue Ford Edge, Chevy Cruise, Nissan Sentra

I was in a good spot to get some up close pics of the gear/rigging.  Some real home-made stuff.  In general, it is chains that they use to make the connections.  

The Focus had no rear damage so they just removed the bumper cover to expose the metal bar.  I could see the blue bumper cover riding in the red Sonic.    The Focus had some front damage but it still had headlights though not a bumper cover. 

If you zoom in on this Sentra you will see that is the CV half shaft in his hand.  He is removing it so that he car free-roll this auto trans car down the road.  

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/28/20 1:56 p.m.

Yeah I usually see at least one group of these trains every time I go south of DFW. I have event seen them around Houston as well on their way headed south. 

Every time i see them they are running in a pack of 2-3 trains. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
2/28/20 2:03 p.m.

Daily occurrence on the interstate around Fort Worth Texas. Usually three running in convoy.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
2/28/20 2:04 p.m.

I saw some today in TN.  Three wrecked cars all bolted together in some form or fashion.  It's amazing they get away with it.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/28/20 2:09 p.m.

See these a lot here in San Antonio.  Vigo had to explain it to me when I first moved here. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
2/28/20 2:14 p.m.

Never seen it here in California , 

you are only allowed to pull one trailer so this would  never  be allowed , 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/28/20 2:15 p.m.

How on earth is that even remotely legal?  Why don't they get pulled over as soon as they set a tire on the interstate?

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/28/20 2:17 p.m.

I've never seen this (Florida).

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/28/20 2:26 p.m.

I saw some of those when we last rode I40 west to the PRC.  Can't recall the state.  NM or AZ. Yeah, 2 "trains."  Had no idea it was a "thing."

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
2/28/20 2:30 p.m.

I always saw them in Arkansas when driving back to Ohio from Texas.  I just can't imagine how anyone stops such a thing?  Pray?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
2/28/20 2:44 p.m.

Every year when I drive from Michigan to the Challenge  I see them several times. I wonder how well they can stop.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
2/28/20 2:47 p.m.

We need to figure out how to get 3 Challenge cars hooked together and cruise down to the event like that.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/28/20 2:49 p.m.

They race those at a local 1/4 mile paved oval, it's pretty entertaining. The racing seems a lot safer than the grandstands you sit in.

I've never seen one rolling down the road though in Ontario.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
2/28/20 2:50 p.m.

Never seen in AZ but, you can triple tow with a fifth wheel trailer, provided the overall length of all three vehicles is 65 feet or less.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/20 3:03 p.m.

I've seen them everywhere from IL down to Mississippi and Louisiana. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/28/20 3:08 p.m.

That's the way we drive normally in Massachusetts. There's just no physical connection between cars.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/28/20 3:13 p.m.

Which is scarrier to stop?  

• The 3,000lb Focus saddled with another 3,000lb Sonic
  • or
  • The 4,000lb Edge saddled with 6,000lbs of Cruise and Sentra
beanco
beanco Reader
2/28/20 3:16 p.m.

I see them all the time headed south towards St. Louis. The rear car is usually stuffed with extra parts adding to the uncontrollable weight.

I asked an Illinois  state trooper once about them?? His response " they're headed south, it will be Missouri's problem soon"surprise

the old school buses are fun to watch. Two hooked together stuffed to the gills with engines and axles.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
2/28/20 3:18 p.m.

Can't say I've ever seen one of these before. That's some post-apocalyptic Mad Max-type E36 M3 right there!

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/28/20 3:27 p.m.

I live in TX and see this all the time.  I'm not going to come out and say it, but it's really obvious certain laws don't apply to certain people...... and the reason why is money.  If they can't or will never pay, there just won't be any legal action taken.  It's sad, but that's what it comes down to in many cases. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/28/20 4:10 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Pretty sure you did come right out and say it...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/28/20 4:44 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

I've seen a lot in Arkansas heading south.  Always doing the speed limit.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/28/20 5:17 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

I've never seen this (Florida).

I've seen it here. Mostly Toyota trucks and cars coming out of the Orlando auto auctions. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
2/28/20 5:19 p.m.

Daily occurence in Los Angeles, on the I-10. Usually they are caucasians guys. Ram towing 1 or 2 old Jeeps. I sometimes see 4 Runner towing 2 old Toyota pickups. I always look, and they always are caucasian. 

Always in the right lane. Always doing 50-55mph. At night, no lights on the cars behind the tow car. 

sergio
sergio Reader
2/28/20 6:43 p.m.

I see them on I-10 in Louisiana headed to Houston and I guess to 59 south to Mexico. They are always in groups of 3 trains, and going the speed limit. My wife and I just wonder how can there can be a profit in such an endeavor? I know labor is cheap down there but really? 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DynIy5r5fKiDKLthNdlSvTb50cEl3H5oiyJyukhwO8ihduFAeyuGm2oA4s7MbArI