1 2
einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/13/20 12:24 p.m.

All right, you folks did a pretty solid job of weighing in on my question a couple of weeks ago about potentially picking up a round headlight type Jeep Liberty, and the collective majority feedback pretty much squashed that idea based your past experience.  For that, I believe I should say "thank you" !

Next up as an alternative contender, the last generation Kia Soul.  I have a Hertz resale center near my place, and they seem to have a constant supply of last generation Soul +'s coming through that lot, for what KBB notes as really aggressive pricing.  Yup, I know about the Hertz bankruptcy and all, but if I can get past the stigma of buying a former rental car from a company that might not have had the cash to really maintain the fleet (my speculation) for the past couple months, the Soul looks fairly attractive.  One example ... a 2019 "+" with 32k miles is listing at under $13k.  Drive by at lunch revealed no major flaws / dents / etc, paint is shiny, engine is a 2.0 liter GDI, transmission is a 6 speed automatic.  The "+" trim appears to be their middle grade from what I see online.  Beyond the "+" trim, there were no other options on this one (you can look up old window stickers on the Kia website if you have the VIN).  Seems like a solid deal, and that's just one example.

Idea is to use the proceeds from my recent 10 year old GTI sale, and possibly buy something on the lower  (i.e. the Liberty) to middle (Soul) end price scale, and drive that vehicle while COVID / economy / etc. figures itself out, then a couple years down the road possibly move back to something a bit funner.  Either that, or say ___ it, and buy a new Civic Si.  

All my blabbering aside, what do all y'all know about the Soul of this vintage?  As before, thanks in advance !!

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
8/13/20 12:42 p.m.

My recent Hertz buying experience was very good. 

Don't miss the $300 discount for AAA members (which cost less than $300 if you're not currently a member) 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/13/20 12:45 p.m.

Guy at work just bought a 5 speed manual tranny one that is 3-4 years old?

He loves it.  Replaces a 5-speed Manual Saturn Vue.  

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
8/13/20 1:04 p.m.

Parts house I used to work for runs these as delivery vehicles. They get beat, abused, and put away wet so to speak. 6 days a week, with "late" oil changes. For about 8 years now. I'd say they're at least as tough as the old rangers they replaced, and that is high praise indeed. 

If I was in the market for a car that I needed a loan on, these would be on my short list. Funky, reliable, tough, good stereo, safe, practical. They even have good colors to choose from though if you're looking at an ex rental, you may be subject to black, white or something in between. 
The current gen in white looks like a storm trooper, which is cool:

ebelements
ebelements Reader
8/13/20 1:33 p.m.

I'm almost done with my 3 year lease of a Kia Forte, and although they don't share a ton of parts, I'm already looking into my next Korean car.

That seems like a pretty sweet deal on a nearly new car. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
8/13/20 1:54 p.m.

I have no Kia Soul experience but I have noticed for a long time that "non-sporty" cars with manual trans are very hard to sell since there are so few buyers who want that combo.  I always see Kia Souls w/ manual for cheap.  Of course, you have to buy them cheap or plan to keep them forever because they too will be hard to sell when you're done with it.  

As an example, quickly found, here is a '18 w/ 25k asking $11k and even at $11k it seems to me like te price could be moved down more.  Not sure how that compares to your '19 w/32k asking $13k with auto trans.  I guess it is only $2k more and that gets you more features and more re-sale-ability.  

We rented one a few years ago for a family vacation, and it was fun.  Not a very big car, but it hauled two adults, two kids, and carry-on luggage without trouble.  Easy to park.

A manual Soul is on my short-list for a first car for my daughters.  I like the light-green color, myself.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/13/20 2:00 p.m.

The Sorrento I had up until last year was a tank, if I was in the market i'd pick one up without reservations.  Do it!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/13/20 2:05 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

I have no Kia Soul experience but I have noticed for a long time that "non-sporty" cars with manual trans are very hard to sell since there are so few buyers who want that combo.  I always see Kia Souls w/ manual for cheap.  Of course, you have to buy them cheap or plan to keep them forever because they too will be hard to sell when you're done with it.  

As an example, quickly found, here is a '18 w/ 25k asking $11k and even at $11k it seems to me like te price could be moved down more.  Not sure how that compares to your '19 w/32k asking $13k with auto trans.  I guess it is only $2k more and that gets you more features and more re-sale-ability.  

In my recent utility box search I have come across a few manual Souls that are astoundingly cheap.  One thing to remember though is they only came with the base base base 1.6L 120hp na motor.  Its certainly adequate, but when loaded with stuff or passengers I'm betting they are brutally slow.  Also, I suspect (not sure how to confirm), that they are only available with the lowest level of options - small wheels, tires, not great radio, etc.

'14 with 57k miles, $5500

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/20 2:11 p.m.

While I haven't owned one, Souls tend/tended to be my goto car when renting from National. If there was one in the lineup, I usually grabbed it. They're pleasant to drive, economical and haven't had the fun factor engineered out completely.

I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I was in the market for regular wheels.

Trent (Generally supportive dude)
Trent (Generally supportive dude) PowerDork
8/13/20 2:28 p.m.

I am driving the Missus' soul today. She took the r55 this morning because she had to travel 120 miles north and the Soul is so loud on the freeway that your ears will ring mercilessly after the 4 hour round trip.

I don't like it but, it has been stoically reliable. Also the AC blows colder than any car I have ever had. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
8/13/20 2:38 p.m.

Never drove a Soul but I have had an Optima rental car. It was in Telluride, Colorado in the winter and I was going on a dogsled tour. I asked for a 4X4 and they were out of them. Ski season.  It went though some snow covered dirt roads to get to the dogsledding place and when I got there, I noticed it was the only car there that wasn't a 4x4. It was a great car and did everything I asked it to do. 

I also test drove a Stinger that I really liked. That would be my first choice if I ever needed something with four doors. 

einy (Forum Supporter)
8/13/20 5:34 p.m.

What I am seeing in the 2nd gen (2014-19) is that the manual was only available in the most basic trim, and only with the 1.6 liter.  The 2.0 GDI only came with the 6 speed auto trans. in the medium level “+” trim and top level “!” trim.  Based on wanting at least some comfort features, it means tge auto would be the transmission in at least “+” trim if I go this route.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/13/20 7:07 p.m.

So your budget is $13k and you are thinking soul or civic si? 

I recently went through this, although soul wasn't on my list, I ended up with 1 owner, 66k mile Civic si in mint condition and am very very happy with it. I paid less than your budget and know I got a great car that is fun while doing daily beater duty. 

Good luck 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/13/20 7:12 p.m.

The 2.0gdi-6-speed auto is what's in the wife's Koup. Solid drivetrain. Beam rear axle and struts up front. Simple and it works

Jason McRoberts
Jason McRoberts New Reader
8/13/20 7:20 p.m.

I have a 2014 Soul + as a delivery car for my dental lab. It's currently at 65 thousand or so.  It needed front brakes at about 50 thousand (delivery car) and that's it.  The auto isn't bad and actually works well with manual gate.  It's a little crude but comfortable.  Definitely not a penalty box even though it's priced like one.

einy (Forum Supporter)
8/13/20 8:22 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

So your budget is $13k and you are thinking soul or civic si? 

I recently went through this, although soul wasn't on my list, I ended up with 1 owner, 66k mile Civic si in mint condition and am very very happy with it. I paid less than your budget and know I got a great car that is fun while doing daily beater duty. 

Good luck 

Budget isn’t necessarily $13k ... that is just the price that seems to be attached to a number of lower mileage Souls at the nearby Hertz resale lot.  If I go with the Si choice, the expenditure would go up considerably, but that would buy me a new car that I would plan to keep approx 10 years (as I did with the recently sold GTI), vs a planned approx 5 years of ownership if I go with a used Soul or similar priced equivalent.  Apples to donkeys comparison, I know, but the only reason I’m hesitating on the larger cost / longer term acquisition of the Si is a bit of uneasiness with the current economic situation.  Do I really want to tie up that much cash today, or buy something lower cost for shorter term and hope the economy stabilized by then.  Therefore the Soul question to the forum.

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/13/20 9:14 p.m.

I was looking for a car for my mother recently and the Soul fits the parameters.  There seem to be plenty to choose from, with reasonable prices.  Most owners say they are tanks although not the most refined cars.

For roughly the same money I was seeing a lot of Elantra GT hatchbacks that seem to have more standard content and a more pleasing look inside and out - to me at least.  Most I found were also rentals with under 40k miles for about $13k.

einy (Forum Supporter)
8/14/20 4:45 a.m.

Good point on the Elantra GT ... I’ll check them out also.  Thanks!

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/14/20 6:52 a.m.

KIA sold a lot of Souls so I see them frequently in my insurance claim work. They seem decently built and most owners really like them. I've driven a couple and didn't hate them (and I hate most modern cars). They are the best of the 'box' vehicles out there except maybe for the Element (bigger, out of production and command stupid prices). The Cube is just too stupid looking and the xB is a flimsy piece of crap that doesn't take hits well. If the Soul had a decent cargo area for dog hauling we may have bought one.

Hyundai and KIA are big on owner loyalty and once you own one they often give an extra discount to returning customers. Plus the people at KIA have a sense of humor.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/14/20 2:16 p.m.

FWIW, I drove a manual Soul today while test driving Utility Boxes and it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  Good shifter and it drives like an underpowered car, but you can easily make the engine work and wind it out more.  Kinda fun, aside from the C.G.  

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/14/20 2:28 p.m.

I owned a first generation Kia Soul, never had a issue, towed two different trailers, I would think a manual would have to be a necessity as slow as mine was. I had the + so I atleast at that time had a fully loaded version. As mentioned one can be had pretty cheap. Every other month I check the market for one, I just wish the GT powered one came in a manual.

einy (Forum Supporter)
8/15/20 3:40 p.m.

Well, I test drove the ‘19 “+” and it was pretty ok.  Hats off to the Hertz resale center on the prep they did, this car was absolutely spotless inside.  Overall, I’m pretty impressed with the ride quality and general quietness at freeway speed (unless you’re really in the throttle), but my point of reference was the GTI, so ???  Power from the 2.0 was only adequate, but the 6 speed automatic worked well.  So, it’s a contender for sure especially at the sub $13k price.  

There is a new Civic Si sedan in the preferred color coming in to the local Honda dealer late this week that I am seriously considering, and have a small refundable deposit on to give me first right of refusal.  I’ll drive that when it’s ready, and if blown away by it, that will be the choice.  If I’m less than thrilled with it, the Soul is my fallback.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/20 5:16 p.m.

A co-worker has a 2016 (I think) Soul.  Aside from being slow, it was a nicely-assembled ride.  Comfy, quiet, looked like it was more expensive than it actually is.  Compared to my ex's first-gen xB, though, I would take the xB long before the Kia.  I'm convinced Kia named it the Soul because it doesn't have one of its own.

The xB IMO is a far more useable vehicle.  More space, and I have never owned a vehicle that was easier for entry/exit.  The Soul felt like any other economy car.  It wasn't unique.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/15/20 6:49 p.m.

The xB is way older though.  Its several inches taller, several inches narrower and has (shockingly) like 30hp less than the Soul.  I don't recall them feeling any less like an economy car than a Soul.  They are a penalty box of a similar type.

I haven't really spent much time looking at the cargo area on one of them, but I find it hard to believe it is significantly more (if any) than a Soul.  Now the 2nd gen xB has a giant cargo area.  I want to like them, but the powertrain issues (mentioned in another thread) kinda scare me away.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YkixmJ70lYFv5x2yv7AHcjKFlx15abPGhhNoqybEjihRm5aipINxFkS6HK4y5s2T