1 2 3 4
dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/29/09 8:56 a.m.

I think as we learn more about car safety, it only makes sense to apply that knowledge to saving lives/reducing injuries. Remember, there was a time when cars didn't have seat belts, let alone shoulder belts!

I feel that in many cases, the roads are more dangerous today. Drivers have far more distractions (cell phone, Blackberry, navigation, CDs, iPod, etc.), and I think that's the biggest factor in general safety. Our vehicles in general are far more safe than they have been historically, but I think drivers take the task of driving much less seriously.

To your bike example, I used to bike to work on public roads about 15 years ago. I would never do it now, due to all the driver's distractions listed above. I did wear a helmet, and on at least two occassions it prevented a serious head injury.

I agree that the things that are done in the name of safety can seem ridiculous at times, but if it saves someone's live or prevents serious injuries, then in my book it's probably worth it. Especially for a child, who might not have all the information to make a smart decision on their own.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
1/29/09 12:13 p.m.
Nate90LX wrote: ...9-month old daughter.... 80+ mile commute...

That's what it boils down to.

9 month old's grow fast, real fast. You need something with enough of a rear seat to be used by a small person, not just an infant.

80+ miles a day is a lot of gas. Gas will probably be darn expensive again, and probably pretty soon. As well the ability to stand the 80+ mile commute. If you can't arrive comfortable, fresh and pleasant, it's no good.

There's also some matters of expensive of ownership and safety to consider.

flexi
flexi New Reader
1/30/09 1:19 p.m.

My 2002 WRX wagon has been very reliable. Stock - no mods. It is fun enough, especially if you put your foot into it. Mine does not get good mileage - 24-25 mpg on the highway, obviously worse in town. The highway mileage doesn't really get better, even if you drive like a grandma. This past summer with gas at more than $3, it was expensive to feed. If you believe in abiotic oil, maybe you can ignore that fact. Otherwise, keep in mind, the WRX requires premium gas.

The WRX is great in snow, especially shod with real snow tires. Never been stuck. According to my older daughter, the rear seats are quite uncomfortable, since they are too upright. My younger daughter doesn't have a problem with the back seat.

The fold down rear seats are pretty good for occasional hauling.

Still, it is no miata. My T3/T4 miata is a LOT more fun. Power to weight ratio is a VERY good thing.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dF83DQwcOrupogB5iv1p1BoddyjWJCexTHfAOpuhug8q3OT0dNIOV0BHzg07KTrg