Caprigrip
Caprigrip Reader
6/16/22 3:07 p.m.

So I recently found a super cheap deal on an RX8 and to my surprise - it runs.   Really well.  And it's a total fun nimble back roads blaster - I love that 9k redline.  

Anyway, the stock shocks are blown so I need to replace those.  My Miata has a custom FatCat setup that I paid good money for but I was using that for autocross and I wanted really good and it's been great.  This is just going to be a fun car so what is the recommended budget setup.  Just Konis and springs for the easy button or some quality entry level coilovers?  

Experience and advice appreciated. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
6/16/22 3:10 p.m.

can't go wrong with Konis for that use, even finding some r3 2009-11 spec OEM shocks are good (bilstein) KW have great budget coilovers as well but you can go off the deep end quick. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/22 3:15 p.m.

I had Öhlins on mine. They're worth the money.

For a budget setup I'd start with Konis and stock springs and try out how that works. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
6/16/22 3:18 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Öhlins is defenitly the slippery slope option but well worth the price from what I've heard, I haven't had hands on experience with them because my rx8 was so short lived. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/22 3:29 p.m.
fidelity101 said:

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Öhlins is defenitly the slippery slope option but well worth the price from what I've heard, I haven't had hands on experience with them because my rx8 was so short lived. 

Öhlins may be the bottom of the slippery slope, unless Penske makes shocks for RX8s cheeky it would take some convincing to make me think they're worth the money...

jeffpdesign
jeffpdesign New Reader
6/16/22 7:21 p.m.

Not the cheapest, but I'm quite pleased with MCS single adjustables with coil overs on my 04 RX-8 that's set up for autocross and track days.  I bought the car with blown FatCat 2 ways so I can't really compare. The MCSs are a huge step over the Bilstein Sports I had in my autocross Miata

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/16/22 7:59 p.m.
jeffpdesign said:

Not the cheapest, but I'm quite pleased with MCS single adjustables with coil overs on my 04 RX-8 that's set up for autocross and track days.  I bought the car with blown FatCat 2 ways so I can't really compare. The MCSs are a huge step over the Bilstein Sports I had in my autocross Miata

I haven't driven an RX-8/NC with MCS, but everything else I've experienced them on (mostly various BMWs) have been awesome.

sergio
sergio HalfDork
6/17/22 12:15 p.m.

Didn't the R3 model come with Bilsteins? 

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/17/22 12:18 p.m.

I'm not an expert on the RX8, but I bet  Koni SA "Yellows" would be a good fit for that chassis. Not sure you need the expense, complexity, and (often) maintenance headaches of full coilovers.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
6/17/22 12:20 p.m.

In reply to sergio :

yes, even the non r3 models came with bilsteins but its a different valving/rate for the R3 as a more sporty track oriented. 

Caprigrip
Caprigrip Reader
6/17/22 6:34 p.m.

Do Koni's normally work with stock springs ?  Since it's already a .5 drop with the shocks don't know if I 'need' new springs too.  

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
6/18/22 12:33 p.m.

I tracked my R3 on stock suspension on street tires and KW V3's with Hotchkiss bars front and rear on 255/40/17 NT01's. Both were very good setups with nice balance. I got lucky and picked up the KW's lightly used for a decent deal. If you're not in a hurry, I'd recommend keeping an eye on the classifieds. One thing to note with the V3's is that the remote reservoir does occupy the same space that a brake duct would.

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/18/22 12:47 p.m.

I believe SuperMiata/949 racing guys are looking into compatibility of the NC XIDA's on RX8 so worth keeping an eye our for those as well. On my NC I went from Ohlins to XIDA and was quite an improvement. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/22 1:07 p.m.

What were people running with these in Stock when they were popular?

tomtomgt356 (Tommy)
tomtomgt356 (Tommy) GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/18/22 1:46 p.m.

Koni yellows are good but the rears are not easy to adjust on this chassis. Fronts have adjusters on the top. Rears you have to completely disassemble they shock/spring assembly, fully compress the shock, twist to adjust, then completely reassemble the rear suspension. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tSes0iEmQWFrN45d8XPdqad3ztQ2fd7MzdHXsnx5ecjJv7WGWl1fVHmHx16GXVfY