1 2 3 ... 5
donalson
donalson SuperDork
2/22/11 11:19 p.m.

originally posted in the OT by accident moved to the GRM section as it should be

well WAY back in '07 I tried to get ahold of an s10... specifically my memas (grandmother-in-law)... this was a "farm truck" used on their 20 acres... would run into town on occasion... at that point it had been parked and replaced with a newer model S10... needed an exhaust manifold and some eaten wires replaced... she wouldn't let it go as it was papas (her husband) who'd passed a few years prior.

now a few years latter she's down sizing, shes giving me the truck in trade for some work (that i'd do for free but she'd insist on paying me for)

it's an '88 2.5L duke/tech 4 with a slushy box trans.

those years back I had a few ideas of what to do with it... I had a line on a 350 powered chebby van... but now I just don't know... I'd love a 5spd turbo v6 of some flavor (how hard is swapping to a 5spd from a slush box?)..

HybridZ24 posted this in my what to do thread on the old forum

HybridZ24 said: thats a hybrid. 2.8L rwd block, 94-99 3.1L pistons and heads/intakes, aforementioned turbo. very cheap JY engine/turbo setup. ran 13.7's on 7 psi with traction issues.

so we're back to the "what do we do"... working over the suspension a bit is a given (3/4 drop or something like that with some wheels and good tires... make it something fun still somewhat usable to haul furniture and crap around with when needed.

so what would you do on a GRM challenge type budget?

Rustspecs13
Rustspecs13 Reader
2/23/11 12:12 a.m.
donalson wrote: .. I'd love a 5spd turbo v6 of some flavor (how hard is swapping to a 5spd from a slush box?).. so what would you do on a GRM challenge type budget?

And here I was going to suggest something slightly weird and tell you to go with a turbo v6. Huh sounds good to me.

I don't think 5 speed swaps are all that hard, especially when you are doing an engine swap. They are pretty simple trucks after all.

I remember my 2.2L 5 speed '95. I just wanted more HP. Being it my second car/truck ever I didn't really know what I had, but it was a fun, but slow truck. It was lowered 5in F/6in R and handled ok. Well taken care of for 225K miles too.

Any way I'm rambling. I voted v6 turbo manual swap.

~Alex

donalson
donalson SuperDork
2/23/11 1:37 a.m.

after my astro i'm fairly fond of the 4.3L vortec... I imagine with a manual trans behind it it would be a reasonably fun vehicle... I want to say thats what the mofo said to do back in '07 the 1st time I asked this question haha (with a 6spd from an fbod and a holset turbo)

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
2/23/11 6:07 a.m.

Put an SBC in it. Cheaper and easier than a blown V6 to get similar results.

Don't put a canoe in it, though.

PS122
PS122 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/23/11 8:18 a.m.

Maybe add this: 2.5L Turbo Kit $250

Not mine - have seen it on CL for awhile though.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
2/23/11 8:25 a.m.

had to re-read.. didn't see my comments anymore

Raze
Raze Dork
2/23/11 8:34 a.m.

at least the canoes are naming themselves correctly, stupid fly on E36 M3

as for the truck, Vortec or anything bigger/turbo = cool, I'm diggin it!

simplecat
simplecat New Reader
2/23/11 9:35 a.m.

Ironically I just sold pretty much that exact truck but with a 5 speed and a bhg/potentially warped head for 100$. Got it for free and let it sit for a year before I realized that if I was going to go to the trouble to stuff a 350/700r4 into something, it should be something I'd want.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
2/23/11 2:40 p.m.

well honestly anything has to be better vs the 2.5 duke lol... that thing was slow in my grand am...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/23/11 2:46 p.m.

Im gonnq repost my boosted 3.8 swap ideas in this thread too...Im thinking it could be done for challenge money...This swap has been keeping me up at nights

http://ras001.0catch.com/s10/s10.htm
http://www.sportmachines.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Truck+and+Sport+Utility+Performance+Feb+1993
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/hybrids/206694-my-money-pit.html http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f106/s10-3800-swap-354001/

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
2/23/11 2:55 p.m.

Just an idea, maybe go the greaser route:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/2229267500.html

donalson
donalson SuperDork
2/23/11 3:37 p.m.

hmm... thinking out loud... I could easily pick up a a volvo 2.3 turbo drivetrain... that could be fun... but even with the turbo upgrade wouldn't be that fast me thinks :-/....

also have a line on a late 90's dodge ram 1500 with a good running 318 magnum... but as I recall the dodge engine is HUGE vs even a 350...

the v8 swap just seems like prob the cheapest/easiest money to power ratio

dculberson
dculberson Reader
2/23/11 3:47 p.m.

4bt?

donalson
donalson SuperDork
3/18/11 10:31 p.m.

got it home... few snafus (blow out of the tow truck) but it's home nice and safe :)...

i forgot how small the 1st gen s10 is... good thing I found my old grant GT wheel :)... dump the bench and fit something else in...

I picked up some wheels for it already (posted in another post) 15x8 weld Pro-stars...

still debating on engine swaps... apparently the curb weight is a few hundred lbs less than a 740 wagon... for some reason the volvo swap still sounds kewl... and I have a direct line on one makes it more tempting... but I think the hybrid 60* v6 turbo still sounds like my fav option... easy to 5spd swap it... not "normal" would weigh a bit more than the iron duke but nothing near the v8 swap... s10's give to many options doh.

good times

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/18/11 10:44 p.m.

Turbo Iron Duke!

Ranger50
Ranger50 HalfDork
3/18/11 10:47 p.m.

aluminum block'd 5.3, flipped truck manifolds, chinese t76, chinese in/underdash A2W IC, 60# injex, SD tune......

Just have to remember on the 5spd, that the slave is passenger side mounted down low. No Idea why, it just is. The NV3500 is a POS, IMHO. Plus it is only in the 90^/SBC/BBC pattern. The T5 isn't any better either from the 60^.

You couldn't give me one of those POS 60^ V6's.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
3/19/11 12:17 a.m.

whatever I'd do would be within challenge budget... not competitive but fun... and I freaking want BOOOST :)...

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/19/11 7:12 a.m.

the new 60° engines are wonderful, you could find a 3500 or 3900 and have fun, because they are light. "pos 60V6 guy above is ignorant to put it nicely. must be from the "first few years of 2.8 liked to break cranks" generation and never realized they beefed stuff up in the late 80's. I had a turbo grand prix with a bigger hybrid turbo and plenty of boost on 130K mile Stock bottom end, no problem. I know guys with massive turbos pushing 450 HP and TQ through GM parts. they can take boost like nobody's business as long as you don't try on an early 2.8. I'd be tempted to get a 3.4/T5 from a 4th gen f body and throw boost at it. V8 or boosted boat anchor all iron 3.8 guy Forgets that those swaps upset the balance by throwing a million pounds up front and making the weight distribution like 90/10 - not that bad but not good. saying that, my 4.3 is quick enough to be fun.

Ranger50
Ranger50 HalfDork
3/19/11 11:05 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

No, not ignorant. The only GM V6's I have had ANY luck out of are the 90^ 3.8 and 4.3. The 60^'s are nothing but troublemakers for myself, too many HG's and intakes. As for the 3500 and 3900, eick. Right now I have an 08 3.9 Impala with 40k on it that eats oil every 3k for 1 quart worth. When you only fill with 4qts an oil change....... I'm not impressed. I would expect this kind of nonsense with an 8.1 big block towing for a lot of miles, not grandma's grocery getter.

Oh and even with a V6 up front, your balance still sucks. You have to ADD some weight to get better distribution. If I have to add weight, I might as well add some cheap and easy power too.....

Bench Racer (BowtieBandit)
Bench Racer (BowtieBandit) Reader
3/19/11 1:15 p.m.

Keep it four cylinder and boost a Quad four. Quad four rods makes T5 adapters, and also makes them for the ecotec too. Make similar power, weight balance will be closer, and get better fuel economy.

Q4R can be found here

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/19/11 2:42 p.m.

sounds like the perfect donor for a fiberglass 1939 studebaker replica

huge-O-chavez
huge-O-chavez SuperDork
3/19/11 3:09 p.m.

find a wrecked gm truck with the 5.3..

bolt in

go fast.

edit: scratch that..

Do this.. Turbo 2.5 and all.. http://notoriousfabrication.com/id11.html

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
3/20/11 12:02 a.m.

get a transaxle and 500" engine out of an old Caddy and mount it in the back.. hide it under a Tonneau cover and you've got the ultimate hot rod.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/20/11 1:02 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: get a transaxle and 500" engine out of an old Caddy and mount it in the back.. hide it under a Tonneau cover and you've got the ultimate hot rod.

Put one under the front too.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/20/11 9:23 a.m.
Wally wrote:
novaderrik wrote: get a transaxle and 500" engine out of an old Caddy and mount it in the back.. hide it under a Tonneau cover and you've got the ultimate hot rod.
Put one under the front too.

and a propeller out the top so you can fly it and some pontoons under it and a camper shell... you know make it an Autocopterboathome

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cqXH3R1ExJ0WIkKXspSxVr4lFv3LJmWkkrVipkc3YCnJc0WCfohfXuZVB374zSL1