1 2 3 ... 5
bigbens6
bigbens6 New Reader
8/12/10 12:17 p.m.

So, I got the wife to verbally commit to a project car, intially I was going to go with a miata, lots of knowledge, lots of parts, lots of venues to take it too....

Then her friends at work (muscle car guys) said its too girly and she said i should get an S2000. Initially I was like "hells yes" but now I am stepping back.

S2000 More power Better suspension Faster in stock form expensive to mod N/A mods are about usless Higher Initial cost

Miata Prolly more user friendly Alot more owners to get advice/help from cheaper to mod mod knowledge is extensive can do a decent n/a build lower initial cost

The point of this is to autoX, track day, and generally refine MY skill set and become a better driver, i have no aspirations to get into spec miata (right now) so the question i have is simple.

Given the goal, keeping in mind budget is a factor (5K miata + 5K in mods VS. 10K S2000 stock) which is going to be a better platform for my goals?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/12/10 12:19 p.m.

Miata

bigbens6
bigbens6 New Reader
8/12/10 12:22 p.m.

care to elaborate on why....

I should add that I took the frist stage of The Mid-Ohio school and plan on finishing all 3 of their courses, and I regularly go on 3-5 hour back road rallys, so while I am not gonna call myself a hot shoe, I have begun building a solid base of knowledge.

Currently drive a 06 mazdaspeed 6 that i am very comfortable with at 8/10ths just haven't had the opportunity to push it all the way, and i dont see the risk being worth the reward ot push further on public streets....

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
8/12/10 12:22 p.m.

er,Miata

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
8/12/10 12:48 p.m.

Does the S2000 have a website like this just sitting around waiting for you to want more whatever out of your car?

http://www.flyinmiata.com/

Case closed.

Powar
Powar Dork
8/12/10 12:51 p.m.

One of my good friends has a lightly-modified AP1 S2000 (coilovers, exhaust, intake, wheels, tires) and I have a lightly modified '90 Miata (coilovers, intake, wheels, tires, rollbar). When we autocross together or take trips to Deal's Gap, it always comes down to who drives better.

Seriously.

He really likes my car and I really like his, but they are different beasts. The S2K is more of a sports car with some grand tourer built in- at least in my eyes. The Miata is smaller, lighter, but weaker.

They both are great. Go drive them and decide which one tickles your pickle more, then go punch your wife's coworkers in their dicks.

Inglorious
Inglorious None
8/12/10 12:51 p.m.

With help from edmunds.com:

2000 Miata- $4000-6000, 2363 lbs, 140 hp, 24 mpg

2000 S2000- $9000-10000, 2809 lbs, 240 hp, 20 mpg,

The ideal SCCA solo class for these cars, from what I hear, is the Street Touring Roadster, GRM is building a Miata for this class now. One thing to note is that the 2000 Miata is a 10 year old model, the S2000 is new to the market and may be less refined and more problematic.

turboswede
8/12/10 1:04 p.m.

Because the Miata will be cheaper to maintain and if you do ball it up, they made millions of them. Upgrades are cheap and not always necessary depending on skill level and desired participation levels.

I think of them as the MG of our time. Moldable clay that can made to do nearly whatever you like.

The S2000 is a great car, no doubt. But you're more or less stuck where you are at with it. As you said, mods don't get you much without spending big money. They have weak syncro's from the factory, that Honda has a TSB out for, but you have to ask them to do it under warranty or face a $3K rebuild/replacement. Probably less if you do it yourself. Still annoying though.

The S2000, to me, is more about posing and posturing. Not that it isn't a capable car, just that the drivers are more interested in the potential, rather than actually using it.

I think of them like an E30 versus an E36M3. One is typically seen on a track tearing it up with the driver enjoying the heck out of it. The other is routinely seen driving to/from the track but rarely on it, let alone being driven balls out.

bigbens6
bigbens6 New Reader
8/12/10 1:07 p.m.

this is pretty much what i expected to hear... and what i was feeling in my gut, judging from FM I can get a full exhaust and suspension for like 1500 bucks.... I'm guessing coil overs and sways for an s2k would start at 1500 bucks... and i agree, if a bend a quarter panel a trip to the junk yard and paint show is only gonna be 2-300, good luck finding an S in the junk yard...

Still love to hear more opinions.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
8/12/10 1:13 p.m.
Powar wrote: They both are great. Go drive them and decide which one tickles your pickle more, then go punch your wife's coworkers in their dicks.

That's a beautiful sentiment. I haven't been so moved since I watched Forrest Gump. You certainly have a way with words.

nderwater
nderwater Reader
8/12/10 1:18 p.m.

I've had both an NA and NB Miata and would happily trade for an S2000 - it's simply an awesome car to drive in anger. That said, a Miata will be less expensive to purchase, maintain, upgrade or even replace. And I've got to go with Powar on this one - anyone who hates on the Miata needs a swift kick in the nuts.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
8/12/10 1:19 p.m.

Getting a ride in Matthew Glagola's STR S2K was enough to convince me.

Agreed on punching said co-workers in the nether region.

monark192
monark192 New Reader
8/12/10 1:29 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: 42 er,Miata

You would need to name the Miata "Arthur" or possibly "Slartibartfast"

Dashpot
Dashpot New Reader
8/12/10 2:24 p.m.
turboswede wrote: The S2000, to me, is more about posing and posturing. Not that it isn't a capable car, just that the drivers are more interested in the potential, rather than actually using it. I think of them like an E30 versus an E36M3. One is typically seen on a track tearing it up with the driver enjoying the heck out of it. The other is routinely seen driving to/from the track but rarely on it, let alone being driven balls out.

Things must be different where you & I live. The E36 M3 is the most common Bim I see at the tracks here in New England. They're fast. Also, a bone stock S2000 will whip 99% of fully prepped SM and ITA Miata's out there (using personal observation & local TT club results for reference).

That being said, the Miata's probably the better choice for all the other reasons stated above.

turboswede
8/12/10 2:29 p.m.

Yep, they are. the people with the S2K's and M3's are typically trackdays folks at the most. Not saying that's a bad thing, but the folks with Miata's, E30's and 944's seem to be out having fun racing.

Choose your poison and go from there. Both are highly capable cars and will do everything you ask of them and more. In the end, which would you rather risk balling up on a track?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/12/10 3:19 p.m.

Obviously I'm a bit biased, but I am a car nut and not just a Miata nut.

I have a lot of respect for S2000s on the track. Given $5k, could I make a Miata faster than a stock S2000? I'm pretty sure I could, but if the S2000 owner was allowed good rubber and we were on a fast track it might not be enough. It would be fun to try.

But my general impression with the S2000 AP1 (never driven the AP2) is that while it's fast, you can't really access the performance on the street. It's like the FD RX-7, a very fast car but one that needs room to really run. A 9000 rpm redline is cool to think about but a bit of a pain in real life.

If you want to develop as a driver, save money on consumables, have some good, solid upgrade paths and want a friendly car - there's a reason there are so many Miatas out there.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
8/12/10 3:20 p.m.

I've had both (at the same time) and S2000 all the way!

It's as if Honda took a Miata and said "What is it lacking and what needs to be improved."

There's just enough extra room in all the right places, the seats are more supportive and comfortable, even down to the little things like the dome light are better. You can't see a darned thing with the Miata dome light but the S2000 light is bright!

The S is basically maxed out power wise but there's lots of room in the suspension dept if you've a mind.

Both are great at autocross. The S feels better at track days but the Miata feels better in slalooms.

Oh, the S has consistently delivered better gas mileage, but the Miata door begins a littler earlier in the car so the Miata is easier to get out of when I'm down in the back.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
8/12/10 3:27 p.m.

I vote for Miata. (Also biased.) Outright capability is one thing, but if you're concerned with a budget I suggest pricing a set of brake pads and fresh tires for both. While you're at it, how about a clutch and flywheel? The Miata is going to be a LOT cheaper as a regular track toy.

If you find it too slow, add a turbocharger. It's still price competitive with the S2000. Someday I'll be a rich dude and no longer care, but today isn't that day.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
8/12/10 3:53 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: I vote for Miata. (Also biased.) Outright capability is one thing, but if you're concerned with a budget I suggest pricing a set of brake pads and fresh tires for both. While you're at it, how about a clutch and flywheel? The Miata is going to be a LOT cheaper as a regular track toy.

Same here. 15" tires are cheaper than 17" tires, although 17" will give you more choices.

Unless you'd rather have an E30.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/12/10 4:35 p.m.

Get an E30.

New exhaust, lower it, Volvo lip, and her coworkers will punch there own dicks.

EricM
EricM Dork
8/12/10 4:57 p.m.
mr2peak wrote: Get an E30. New exhaust, lower it, Volvo lip, and her coworkers will punch there own dicks.

This is why I LOVE EVERY minute I spend on Grassroots motor sports.

If the Editor has any guts, he will print this in the magazine.

Eric

Kia_racer
Kia_racer HalfDork
8/12/10 4:59 p.m.
mr2peak wrote: Get an E30. New exhaust, lower it, Volvo lip, and her coworkers will punch there own dicks.

+1

Josh
Josh Dork
8/12/10 5:54 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: I've had both (at the same time) and S2000 all the way! It's as if Honda took a Miata and said "What is it lacking and what needs to be improved." There's just enough extra room in all the right places, the seats are more supportive and comfortable, even down to the little things like the dome light are better. You can't see a darned thing with the Miata dome light but the S2000 light is bright! The S is basically maxed out power wise but there's lots of room in the suspension dept if you've a mind. Both are great at autocross. The S feels better at track days but the Miata feels better in slalooms. Oh, the S has consistently delivered better gas mileage, but the Miata door begins a littler earlier in the car so the Miata is easier to get out of when I'm down in the back.

I have one of each right now (until the miata sells), and I pretty much agree with this post. The S2k is as close to "just right" as any car I've driven, all of the things I don't like about my Miata are fixed in the S. More comfortable, quieter, stiffer, better top, seats, brakes, steering wheel, the list goes on. If you want a car that's excellent in stock form, the S2000 is it. If you want to build an FTD machine, the Miata might be a better starting point being lighter and simpler. If you intend to drive it to work here and there, the s2000 is great. I understand what Keith is saying about the limits being inaccessible on the street, but that's a pretty good problem to have. Think of it this way, if you just pretend that you're never allowed to go into vtec on the street, it feels a lot like an NB Miata! I've been driving it to work almost every day, and it scoots around town nicely, and when you do want to lay the hammer down and rev it up to 9k, the way it responds is pretty astonishing. I'm also getting 26-28 mpg in town and 30+ on the highway, which is generally better than the Miata (especially on the highway).

Really though, you can't go wrong with either. I could easily see myself building a fast turbo or swapped Miata at some point in the future. For the time being, I wanted to make the house the project and have an autox car that won't need constant attention and tuning, and that's why I made the move I did.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
8/12/10 6:04 p.m.

well played sir.

autoxrs
autoxrs Reader
8/12/10 6:28 p.m.

2zz MR2 Spyder, otherwise called the poor man's Elise. Be prepared for dirty looks and questions about what it is and how expensive they are. But, its all worth the incredible steering and the noise at 8500 rpm. I really miss mine. Everyone and their brother has an S2k or a Miata, in my brief foray into automotive nirvana I saw 0 other Spyders.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dnNCCEFC2rGoLTLu1sTImJtqyZbNij0SFmBs57qruXsK9lqr1JIvzYysDdOOUYSp