1 2
EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/20/12 11:41 a.m.

For anyone who read THIS thread, you know I picked up a Saab 99.

It was going to be crushed so I figured I should save it from that horrible fate and try to do something with it. I'm not sure what will become of it yet but it should be a fun project. I have always wanted one so I couldn't really pass it up.

It is a 74 (late 73 production) Saab 99 EMS. It became an ITB car in 91 and is pretty much stripped by now. The clutch slave was leaking on track and the driver killed the transmission. The PO put a 900 5-speed in it but never got it back together.

Pictures:

Somewhat complete Carlsson kit for 900, I'm still looking for the arches, the PO said they were in one of the (many) boxes of parts.

The car:

The rust:

Interior full of parts:

This side looks pretty good:

EvanB
6/20/12 11:42 a.m.

It also has at least 900 rear hubs and brakes, maybe the whole axle. It also has the front axles/brakes/etc from the 900 turbo the trans came from.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
6/20/12 11:43 a.m.

Wow looks great for the price, I recognize that driveway too!

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
6/20/12 11:51 a.m.

You are turning it back into a street car, then? (As in I don't see the cage anymore for a former IT car....)

It is very eligible to go vintage racing, afterall. Older than my '74 that I should go vintage racing with....

Looks like a fun project to follow!

EvanB
6/20/12 12:22 p.m.

The cage was removed, the PO said it was pretty bad and would need redone to pass any kind of tech.

It will probably be turned into a street-ish car for now.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
6/20/12 12:31 p.m.

I'm going to have a classic Saab some day. Looking forward to reading about this one!

EvanB
6/20/12 9:30 p.m.

I put the rest of the lights on and sorted through the dash components. The odometer says 47k miles but it may have rolled over.

If anyone wants to buy the carlsson/airflow kit let me know.

I also ordered a slave cylinder today, I want to get it driving to give me some motivation to tackle the bodywork and interior. I may try out a roller paint job on it.

EvanB
6/20/12 9:31 p.m.

It came with a full set of Toyo RA1s so I may get it put together a bit and see how it does at autocross.

EvanB
6/20/12 9:40 p.m.

Oh, it also came with a full set of 900 factory service manuals and a brand new replica 99turbo air dam, as well as a beat up fiberglass air dam used for IT.

Some pictures from the logbook of what it looked like when first built for ITB:

EvanB
6/20/12 9:55 p.m.
dculberson wrote: I'm going to have a classic Saab some day. Looking forward to reading about this one!

You can get in line for this one when I am done with it. That way I won't have to force it on Powar when I need to sell.

I really don't know how long I am going to keep it but I have always wanted one and couldn't let it be crushed. It should be a fun project though and we'll see how far I get.

Pete240Z
Pete240Z UltraDork
6/20/12 10:06 p.m.
EvanB wrote: I may try out a roller paint job on it.

I was thinking ths would be a perfect candidate for that.

EvanB
6/20/12 10:11 p.m.
Pete240Z wrote:
EvanB wrote: I may try out a roller paint job on it.
I was thinking ths would be a perfect candidate for that.

I figure I really have nothing to loose. The paint is pretty terrible on it already so the worst I can do is make it better.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/12 8:37 a.m.

I am going to get in line also, very cool.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/21/12 8:45 a.m.

Evan, you might want to read through this just so three years from now you don't say "Gee, I coulda done that or shoulda done this".

Great cars BTW. I ran a 900 for ~8 years.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1977-saab-99/

Dan

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/12 10:18 a.m.
EvanB wrote: If anyone wants to buy the carlsson/airflow kit let me know.

PM sent!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/21/12 12:32 p.m.

Evan - if you get this thing running by this autumn, you need to bring it to the Old School Class Reunion. It's mainly VW/Audi guys but everything is welcome. I brought the RX-7 and someone else brought an Alfa GTV. And then some other things.

EvanB
6/21/12 12:51 p.m.

I haven't heard of that before, is it up by you?

I hope I have it running by then.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/21/12 5:03 p.m.

OSCR is held in south Columbus. Trying to get Miles to mobilize his Mini enough to make it this year.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4417065-OSCR-2009-October-24-25-Columbus-OH&p=61502805&viewfull=1#post61502805

EvanB
6/22/12 5:59 p.m.

Put the lights and front bumper on...

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
6/22/12 6:37 p.m.

Jealous! But if it was me, I wouldn't have stopped at the 900 turbo gearbox, I would have stuffed that engine bay full of B202 turbo power and noise

EvanB
6/22/12 6:59 p.m.

That would be nice...and may be an option eventually .

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
6/22/12 7:36 p.m.

I really wish I would have seen this before I bought my MKI. This thing is right up my alley. LMK when you are tired of it....see if my wife ACTUALLY will kill me!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
6/22/12 7:37 p.m.
Knurled wrote: OSCR is held in south Columbus. Trying to get Miles to mobilize his Mini enough to make it this year. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4417065-**OSCR-2009-October-24-25-Columbus-OH**&p=61502805&viewfull=1#post61502805

That thread is from 09, have one for this year?

EvanB
6/22/12 8:12 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: I really wish I would have seen this before I bought my MKI. This thing is right up my alley. LMK when you are tired of it....see if my wife ACTUALLY will kill me!

I'm sure it will be up for sale sooner or later.

I'm (finally) graduating from college in December so depending on what I decide to do I may have to liquidate some projects and this would be the first to go. I just didn't want to see it crushed and figured I could have a little fun with it for a bit.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/12 8:54 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Jealous! But if it was me, I wouldn't have stopped at the 900 turbo gearbox, I would have stuffed that engine bay full of B202 turbo power and noise

I might have a turbo engine from an 88 laying about.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0VhoLgClaIinq1pbrtWPTFonU5KAcUGsKJu5z02iTHfZQZjUpXtOfHHAILk8B2nl