Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/17 9:57 p.m.
This morning I went up to the attic to look for something and I found a 48 year old Dune Buggy magazine that I've had for over 30 years. I flipped through it and there was an article about Saab engines (V4 and Saab 99/Triumph inline) and their corresponding transaxles. The basic tone of the article was that they were excellent choices for dune buggies. Aside from that, I found myself fascinated by these things, and how well they are packaged. They are almost (or  maybe more) compact than a Subaru engine/transaxle combo.

I'm really disappointed in myself for not giving these cars more respect when I was younger and they were cheap and plentiful. I don't really need a Saab, but I think I would like to own one someday, before they all turn to dust.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/17 9:59 p.m.

I almost had a chance a very clean 99. Sadly the owner passed and his son sold it before I had a chance to talk to him

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
10/5/17 10:15 p.m.

Had a 1973 99 during the snowacaine in Cleveland Ohio in 1978....6+inches of snow running way skinny tires ...no problem.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/5/17 10:46 p.m.
Woody said:

Hmmm....it may be underpowered, but it seems like that could be used to build a little mid-engined sports car.  Maybe a replica of the 1962 Mustang 1 concept car?  It used a V4 engine.

Woody
10/6/17 5:22 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

I was thinking in terms of Formula cars (and yes, I'm aware of Formula Saabs, but they didn't use this engine). I think there are lots of applications for something like this.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
10/6/17 5:50 a.m.
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/6/17 6:56 a.m.

I used to ice race a 96 model, great car!  It overheats so you roll into the pits, toss a shovel of snow at the engine and get back out there; try that with your girly aluminum heads.

If I didn't have a garage full of airplane, I'd love that white project.

Woody
10/6/17 8:50 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

That’s a cool looking car! What year was it?

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
10/6/17 11:18 a.m.

I think that car may have been to a couple of out Historic Ice Races.  It was owned by a gentleman who lived in Marbletown NY.

I owned a 1965/66  96 Special Sedan.   It had all of the Monte Carlo running gear, including the three carb engine.   Later became a dedicated race car, summer and winter, It ended up with a modified 940cc engine. Reportedly about 85 hp.    Much fun.

There was a nice Sonnett 3 at the recent Keene Hillclimb reunion. It was driven there.  

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
10/6/17 11:29 a.m.

My dad had one of these and was just talking about how much of a POS it was last night. The trans went out on him and he sold it. Back in '79. My mom said the exact words "Saab story." 

nymalo
nymalo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/6/17 11:54 a.m.

This car has been in GRM before.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/6/17 11:57 a.m.

The Ford V6 Cologne was based off of the Taunus V4, and I believe the bellhousing pattern was the same between them. That means you could grab a transmission from a 2010 V6 mustang and bolt the V4 up or alternatively a 210hp /240 lb-ft V6 into your Saab.

nymalo
nymalo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/6/17 12:01 p.m.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
10/6/17 12:11 p.m.

That gold and black one, 34, currently races Lemons in the northeast.  It is now powered by a turbocharged geo metro engine.  They have sorted it pretty well over the years.  

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
10/6/17 6:33 p.m.

That 34 has a long history.   When it was new or close to it, it was an ice race car owned and driven by a fellow from NJ,  he was really good.    I think his name was Miller.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fvKKJDx4UMwzPAj5Bg4d6qMCLMlq5ACprF2ok2fYLBGyPpSSQYMoXr3xjuWUrapI