JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/25/14 2:27 p.m.

Robert Belvoir has been an active member in the Central FL autox community for decades. Everybody knows him as a good instructor, someone with a great sense of humor, and always willing to help people. He rode along with me EVERY pass during most of my second year of autocrossing.

Unfortunately, I just received this sad news in my inbox:

Martin Sports Car Club said: Dear MSCC members, It is with tremendous sadness that we bring you this news. On Wednesday, December 24th, Robert Belvoir lost his life in a tragic accident. Robert was one of the longest-standing club members with MSCC, having joined the club over 25 years ago. He served on the Executive Board for many years as Treasurer before becoming club President in 2011. In recent years, he worked to maintain the club’s archives and history as club historian. Robert held the club dear to his heart with tremendous pride. Robert was known throughout the local autocross community for his personable nature, friendliness, smile, and camaraderie. He was famous for wearing fun and festive socks, ultimately earning the nickname Bobby Socks. He was also one heck of a driver, always contending for class victories and championships, and Top Time of Day honors. Robert loved the club, the sport, and its people. We will share any details of a memorial service as we receive them. Godspeed Robert. We will miss you dearly, and will forever remember #79.
DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
12/25/14 3:57 p.m.

Wow. What a tragic, freak accident. I can't imagine how horrible it was for on lookers.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/25/14 4:18 p.m.

Wow. How terrible and tragic.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/25/14 4:23 p.m.

Yep, Robert was a fixture on our local scene forever. Nice guy and always there to help--seemed like he was always among the first to arrive, last to leave. More recently he started doing more track stuff. He passed me at Sebring (often) and that red MR2 was hard to miss.

He has some GRM history, too. He attended one of our early dyno days in the mid '90s. A few years ago, his daughter was featured in a cover story about younger racers.

Here's a shot of him at a Martin Mini Prix at Gainesville's little road course.

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
12/25/14 6:35 p.m.

Wow Rip and my condolences to his family and a friend of the motorsports community.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/26/14 1:22 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Yep, Robert was a fixture on our local scene forever. Nice guy and always there to help--seemed like he was always among the first to arrive, last to leave. More recently he started doing more track stuff. He passed me at Sebring (often) and that red MR2 was hard to miss. He has some GRM history, too. He attended one of our early dyno days in the mid '90s. A few years ago, his daughter was featured in a cover story about younger racers. Here's a shot of him at a Martin Mini Prix at Gainesville's little road course.

I remember one time when MSCC had a lightly attended event - in conjunction with either Chin or NASA - in the infield/trailer parking area at sebring. He let me try* to drive that car......quite an eyeopener for someone used to an HS geo storm!!!

• "try"....my fat butt didn't even fit into the Robert-width racing seat. I still had fun.
HobbyCommunity
HobbyCommunity New Reader
12/26/14 3:34 a.m.

sad news R.I.P

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/26/14 9:45 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: Wow. What a tragic, freak accident. I can't imagine how horrible it was for on lookers.

Sounds like a good guy. What happened?

TAParker
TAParker Reader
12/26/14 9:53 a.m.

How sad......and on Christmas eve.........RIP

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/26/14 10:04 a.m.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/2014/12/25/man-falls-orlando-mall/20891001/

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/26/14 10:18 a.m.

That's very sad, RIP

David S. Wallens
12/28/14 6:33 p.m.

And the info regarding the service has been posted on the Martin Sports Car Club Facebook page.

The memorial service for my Robert Belvoir will be conducted this Tuesday evening:

Tuesday, December 30th

6:00~8:00 PM

Baldwin-Fairchild Funeral Home

301 Northeast Ivanhoe Blvd., Orlando Fl 32804.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/28/14 8:51 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Thanks.

David S. Wallens
12/28/14 9:18 p.m.

No problem. I'll be there, too.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/28/14 10:09 p.m.

berkeley. That is a crazy obscure way to go out.

RIP. Condolences to friends and family.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hZuBTWRLA9G3xJt9OGMOC1FObemI5fbSZ8T6fVJiUO4Q1dYkZD2TrGTr41EkmewA