1 2
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/17/15 8:46 a.m.

Do we think the bottom has dropped out on these yet? They look to be in the $15-18k range. Do we think they'll go much lower for nice examples? Or do i need to start shopping now?

Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/17/15 9:20 a.m.

Wow, I've never even seen one on the road around here. I'd be shocked if they stayed at that value very long. Maybe, like the Edsel, some day they'll be priced up.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/17/15 9:21 a.m.

It looks like they made about 12,000 of them. Roughly half were manuals.

This looks to be on the cheap end of the spectrum.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Sky-Red-Line-Edition-2008-saturn-sky-red-line-convertible-2-door-2-0-l-/301526104586?forcerrptr=true&hash=item46345b3a0a&item=301526104586&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
2/17/15 9:24 a.m.

A cheap trifecta tune can add a large amount of power.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/17/15 9:27 a.m.

They seem to have levelled out around that sort of price for the turbos...

If it wasn't for the lack of certain parts like SCCA-legal roll bars, I'd actually be looking at them right now.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/17/15 9:29 a.m.

Nice enough looking. But even at $14K, I wouldn't count on flipping it for several years. If you like it buy it!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/17/15 9:30 a.m.

I'm less worried about losing money on one, than i am about not being able to afford one later, or worse, buying one now, then in 2 years realizing if i had been a little patient i could have had one for half the price.

I like buying things at the bottom of their curves.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
2/17/15 9:36 a.m.

We've had both the vert (blue/black gxp) and the coupe (black/black gxp). We liked both a lot, but I prefer the coupe because it's a little roomier inside, quieter, better looking (imo), and much more rare. You'll pay more for the coupe, but it'll be worth it unless you just have to have a vert. BTW all coupes have a targa roof.

Edit: Sorry I just now realized you were asking about the Sky and not the Solstice (need to read better). Unless you're considering the Solstice as well disregard all coupe comments.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/17/15 9:37 a.m.

Sky Redline didn't come in coupe. I'd be purchasing an aftermarket hard top, because i hate convertibles.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
2/17/15 9:40 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Sky Redline didn't come in coupe. I'd be purchasing an aftermarket hard top, because i hate convertibles.

yeah I just edited my post above to reflect that. Did not read the initial post well enough. I'm not a fan of verts either, so when the coupe became available we jumped on it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/17/15 9:45 a.m.

No worries. I'm just not a fan of the Solstice's looks. Would probably update the Sky to the Opel fascia and such.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
2/17/15 9:51 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I like buying things at the bottom of their curves.

when are those mx6 prices going to shoot up?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/17/15 9:53 a.m.
JamesMcD wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: I like buying things at the bottom of their curves.
when are those mx6 prices going to shoot up?

The days of buying running and driving GTs for under $500 seem to be over, so i'm saying that time is now!

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/17/15 10:00 a.m.

The Sky does look worlds better than the Solstice, and IDK what their prices are going to do. IIRC, the redlines are alot rarer than 12k produced....there are some 1 of 1 cars out there for gods sake.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
2/17/15 10:00 a.m.

Damn! I didn't know that the coupes had dropped in price that much. That I would happily pay 16k for. May have to look into this next summer.

Edit: looks like only a few of the Coupes are under 20k. I am guessing salvage title cars.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/17/15 10:14 a.m.
yamaha wrote: The Sky does look worlds better than the Solstice, and IDK what their prices are going to do. IIRC, the redlines are alot rarer than 12k produced....there are some 1 of 1 cars out there for gods sake.

The 12k number came from GM.

evildky
evildky Dork
2/17/15 10:14 a.m.

it's a GM it's gonna get cheaper, unless you're looking for an uber rare hardtop I feel certain these will be quite a bit cheaper in 5 years.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/17/15 10:43 a.m.

the MIL has one, she drives it in the summer sometimes. unfortunately, she got an auto so when she is ready to get rid of it i'll probably be stuck swapping in a manual. hope the parts are still available to do it whenever that is. pretty sweet car though for what it is.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
2/17/15 10:46 a.m.
yamaha wrote: The Sky does look worlds better than the Solstice,

Of course that is personal taste. We bought both of ours new and both preferred the Solstice. Of course when we bought the GXP coupe we only had one choice. I also think the blacked out grills on the GXP look much better than the grey on the N/A.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
2/17/15 10:48 a.m.

"I hate convertibles, yet all I shop for is convertibles."

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/17/15 10:49 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: "I hate convertibles, yet all I shop for is convertibles."

All the best affordable sports cars are convertibles. It blows hard. The struggle is real.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/17/15 10:55 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
yamaha wrote: The Sky does look worlds better than the Solstice, and IDK what their prices are going to do. IIRC, the redlines are alot rarer than 12k produced....there are some 1 of 1 cars out there for gods sake.
The 12k number came from GM.

12k still sounds a bit high, they must have built a E36 M3load in 2008, because 2009 production was around 1300 total and we all know there was a grand total of 8 sky's built in 2010

You want not getting screwed on depreciation Ben? Find a '09 redline/5sp in ruby red or hydro blue....Ruby would make it a 1 of 500 before considering any other options, hydro blue is like 1 of 100 or something like that.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/17/15 10:58 a.m.

Not sure what to tell you. This thread has the numbers from GM Heritage Center.

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f24/production-numbers-40522/

Looks like they made a little over 34k Saturn Skys. About a third were Redlines.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/15 11:25 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
z31maniac wrote: "I hate convertibles, yet all I shop for is convertibles."
All the best affordable sports cars are convertibles. It blows hard. The struggle is real.

My 924 and 944 would beg to differ..... ;)

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
2/17/15 11:33 a.m.

In reply to yamaha:

Like this one? Carmax

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZIoejZfSIJbVPfJkfFmSwUv02aoxWGgM1WJ2HyN5NVBkMLh8eikkWoCzMXz0YxKr