1 2 3 4
DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
11/8/10 9:25 a.m.

The car that most needs to be converted to mid-engine: a 911! All you'd have to do is cut out the rear seats, rotate the powertrain, and modify the transmission to rotate the other way. An old one would be simple and light, but very well developed and sophisticated in execution.

Probably not in your budget, though.

David

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
11/8/10 10:19 a.m.

3 pages and no one has suggested a first generation CRX? Its light, cheap and there is a fair amount of space in the back. The ones with carburated motors can be had very cheap.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/8/10 11:24 a.m.

a corrado always looked like it should be AWD to me.. not sure about finding a decent shell in your budget, though.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/8/10 11:28 a.m.
bluej wrote: a corrado always looked like it should be AWD to me.. not sure about finding a decent shell in your budget, though.

The corrado is very cool... and could be its own engine donor. AWD is not something I am interested in but moving the stock mill back 8' would be fine.

11/8/10 11:30 a.m.

Another issue: How do people typically make a shift linkage in this scenario? I do not have good vibes about using a cable but I'm picturing a lot of goofiness to bring rod-ends around the back.

Raze
Raze Dork
11/8/10 12:01 p.m.

If you wanted to go crazy how bout a Northstar + a Getrag out of a Fiero? I'm not a huge fan of N*s after owning one and having to timesert it but I love the power delivery, sound, everything of that engine...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/8/10 12:19 p.m.

When I see this, I start to wonder what you could do with a sand rail chassis, adapted for the street and with a body dropped over it.

M030 wrote: I'm itching to build a mid-engine hot rod from an old (air cooled) VW Beetle with an Audi 2.7L twin turbo V6 hooked to a B5 Passat FWD 5spd gearbox... Rorty-design sells the plans for the pictured chassis. Why not a Honda S2000 engine, mid-mounted in a Karmann Ghia?
mndsm
mndsm Dork
11/8/10 12:42 p.m.
mmosbey wrote: I have, for a long time, had a wish to put something absolutely bonkers in the back of a Hyundai Excel. They're far less plentiful than they used to be, but they're well established as being slow. I love sleepers. Anyone have a wrecked Pantera?

GS-T front subframe, 70mm turbo, done. I've thought the same car for a LONG time.

tincetti
tincetti New Reader
11/8/10 12:43 p.m.

Giant Purple-check your PM's.

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
11/8/10 1:22 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Another issue: How do people typically make a shift linkage in this scenario? I do not have good vibes about using a cable but I'm picturing a lot of goofiness to bring rod-ends around the back.

Cables work great, I tried a linkage setup and it sucked.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
11/8/10 1:44 p.m.

Hmm, I have been thinking along those lines for when the body on my neon rots out too far, but maybe a locost or atom inspired body.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
11/8/10 2:14 p.m.

The mid engine MGB GT project would be expedited with the mating of a Fiero drive-train rescued fro its inferior birthplace.

This should take care (at least help with) one of the most difficult aspects of such a swap: The shift linkage, since you should be able to keep what the Fiero has.

Of course, if you must get all mental (Keith made me think about this with his LS1 project) why not go looking for a Toronado drive-train or maybe Caddy Eldorado motivation and make a true monster.

kb58
kb58 Reader
11/8/10 2:19 p.m.

Have you guys ever seen a Toronado drivetrain out of the car? It's freekin huge due to the transmission housing.

11/8/10 2:24 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: The mid engine MGB GT project would be expedited with the mating of a Fiero drive-train rescued fro its inferior birthplace. This should take care (at least help with) one of the most difficult aspects of such a swap: The shift linkage, since you should be able to keep what the Fiero has. Of course, if you must get all mental (Keith made me think about this with his LS1 project) why not go looking for a Toronado drive-train or maybe Caddy Eldorado motivation and make a true monster.

The Fiero had 105 or 140 HP... not enough for a track only car in a world where FWD econoboxes make 200+ now. Do you know if there is another engine that can bolt to the manual?

The Toronodo stuff is really heavy, I don't know where I'd get a manual transaxle and its wheelbase would need to be narrowed to fit under anything tiny.

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
11/8/10 2:52 p.m.

I'm wondering if you could get a v6 in longitudinally - then audi 016 or 944 transaxle mated or throw in an audi v6 or v8 midship. It may bolt up direct to the transaxle (as he runs to garage with tape measure...). For transverse - my first thoughts go more towards japanese donors. No real reason why other than seeing an RSX engine in a fiat x1/9

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
11/8/10 3:10 p.m.

Integra hatch + K series in the trunk? I saw a article in SCC (I think) where someone dumped a H22 in back of one and it wasnt as terribly nutso as it should have been (week long affair maybe?).

+1 for CRX.

what about a rear engined 4ag+tercel coupe?

Ian F
Ian F Dork
11/8/10 3:16 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: The Fiero had 105 or 140 HP... not enough for a track only car in a world where FWD econoboxes make 200+ now. Do you know if there is another engine that can bolt to the manual?

SBC? S/C Vortec V6? Pretty well documented in the Fiero world... and I know a guy who builds them as a side business to his German repair shop:

www.hausofguru.com

(he gave me a ride in the black & orange one - stupid-scary-fast)

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
11/8/10 4:04 p.m.

3.4 out of any minivan should bolt on to the fiero trans-axle. Sure the 60 degree V6 site will give you all the info you need to pull the horses out of the stable.

The Toronado stuff was tossed out there in case you were building a crazy 2011. Not really serious, but then again weirder things have shown up at the challenge. Think of the "Box Flare" opportunities.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
11/8/10 4:07 p.m.
The Fiero had 105 or 140 HP... not enough for a track only car in a world where FWD econoboxes make 200+ now. Do you know if there is another engine that can bolt to the manual?

Pretty much any GM FWD V6 or four banger will bolt to it.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Reader
11/8/10 4:22 p.m.

A little different, but I've always wanted to do something with a Ford EXP. You could use a drive train from a Focus with a Duratec 2.3. My understanding is there's some aftermarket support and they can make pretty good power.

With no rear seat, the EXP is begging for an engine back there, and the bubble hatch gives you some room to work with .

Ooh. Here's one for $500 http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/2044598402.html

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Reader
11/8/10 4:31 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: what about a rear engined 4ag+tercel coupe?

Would be cool. Maybe Paseo.

StevenFV19
StevenFV19 Reader
11/8/10 5:51 p.m.

You can buy my FV chassis, with trans if you want it. Then put a super beetle engine in it. Or any inline 4 engine with a trans that'll bolt up.

Steven

FlightService
FlightService Reader
11/8/10 6:06 p.m.
M030 wrote: I'm itching to build a mid-engine hot rod from an old (air cooled) VW Beetle with an Audi 2.7L twin turbo V6 hooked to a B5 Passat FWD 5spd gearbox... Rorty-design sells the plans for the pictured chassis. Why not a Honda S2000 engine, mid-mounted in a Karmann Ghia?

I would be interested in see the torsional stiffness data on that car. I bet it is close to a regular stamped sheet metal convertible.

FlightService
FlightService Reader
11/8/10 6:09 p.m.

Subaru Justy. Use a WRX drivetrain, weld up the center diff so it is just a good mid engined set up.

EvanR
EvanR New Reader
11/8/10 6:32 p.m.

Tube-frame around a Geo Metro 1.0 liter triple. There's a lot of fun to be had in the sub-1-liter classes!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9qVy6saxrvDMXujESQG7XsO76UEcQzFO27gSgzwZRhRRkZ6RFR4Nu7V5dxsg0rdo