masterjr33
masterjr33 New Reader
9/7/16 2:47 p.m.

good afternoon. my name is justin. I live in jacksonville florida.

I recently sold my 2004 mystichrome terminator cobra.

for what you say?

A 1987 Volvo 740 and a 1989 Plymouth voyager of course.

I hope you appreciate the amazingness of my purchases. Because my wife has not thus far.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
9/7/16 2:58 p.m.

Nice intro - looks like you'll fit in just fine around here.

My first car in HS was a 87 Grand Voyager, so I commend your questionable-but-nevertheless-awesome purchase. Good times in that one. At least at a distance, yours looks like it is in better condition than mine was 20 years ago.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/7/16 2:58 p.m.

I think I recognize that little fender badge on the Voyager!!!

Are you available Friday Sept 30th and Sat Oct 1st?
There is a special class for Minivans this year!

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
9/7/16 3:00 p.m.

Volvos are cool, plenty of other Volvo nuts here.

Minivans are useful.

I'm not sure there's a Mustang made before 2015 that I wouldn't trade for a Volvo, after '15 it would depend on the Volvo. I fully support your decision.

Welcome!

masterjr33
masterjr33 New Reader
9/7/16 3:04 p.m.

first the volvo 87 volvo. GLE.. stick. non turbo grabbed it for 250$. drove it home with the A/C running.

sooo.. step one.. step two.

step three

step something. and current condition.

heading to chumpcar oblivion and test and tune days at The FIRM. once the tow vehicle is ready.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/7/16 3:16 p.m.

I also recognize that badge on the Voyager, nice score. I wish I still had mine

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
9/7/16 3:18 p.m.

Will they allow you to use pool noodles as roll bar padding?

Go to the next road over from the FIRM in the town of Waldo...hole in the wall mexican place. Try the super burrito.

masterjr33
masterjr33 New Reader
9/7/16 3:18 p.m.

Speaking of tow vehicles and chumpcar racing... I need something i can haul crap with. I need something that gets decent mileage. I need something my friends cant laugh at.... much. I need something i can get in everyday and enjoy.

any whoooo... you know what fits this bill? A Turbocharged 5 speed plymouth voyager.

Its currently in the shop getting the A/C reinstalled.. the previous owner felt the need to go all racy racy with it and take out the A/C. I live in florida so Fawk that. I need A/C..

The Van will serve me as a daily. getting 20+ MPG. the Volvo will be a chumpcar soon..

Look for Team Granny Dropper or The Wife's Beater soon.

I will also be looking for some wrenchers and drivers if you are in the Jacksonville Florida area. I'm looking at you GRM.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/7/16 3:26 p.m.

And it's the 5spd? Nice.

masterjr33
masterjr33 New Reader
9/7/16 3:27 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

class for what? cant beat on cars i dont know how well the run yet. .. soon .. soon though.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/7/16 3:38 p.m.

I saw the FIRM mention and went...he's in florida! I am a recent convert to florida, though not to grm. Welcome.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/7/16 3:47 p.m.

Minivan Class at The Challenge

Read the following:
Soccer Mom Challenge

Lumina APV GTP This is amazing!

Johnny's Quest This is much less amazing (and mine.)

There are a couple others in the wings including a V8 Astro and an Odyssey.

Your manual/turbo van would fit perfectly. This assumes you paid less than $2k for it.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
9/7/16 3:49 p.m.
masterjr33 wrote: In reply to JohnRW1621: class for what? cant beat on cars i dont know how well the run yet. .. soon .. soon though.

Being new, I'm going to assume you know zilch. You probably know more than zilch, but it makes it easier that way. Don't take it as an insult, just as being thorough.

GRM has a $20xx Challenge ever year. Build a car for under $2k (parts can be swapped and sold off to go back into the budget, kinda like Chump car), and head to Florida at the end of this month to compete in a drag race, autocross and concourse event. (Bribes might be accepted and might be encouraged).

There's usually some type of "special" class for the Challenge. Last year, it was the aristocrat class. Cars that were, at one time, expensive luxury cars but can now be bought for pennies on the dollar. There were 7 series BMW's, Infiniti's and Lexus's.

This year, it's a "Soccer Mom" class, basically encouraging vans/minivans. Turbo Voyagers/Caravans have always done well at the Challenge (even without the special class), so your new car fits right in. Since it's so close, you could probably show up and compete, not do too bad and have a ton of fun. Further, I'd guess there are at least 10 guys with deep knowledge of turbo Mopars that could help you with anything that breaks and needs fixing.

Finally, you're already in Florida, so the trip would be easy.

If not to compete, you should totally check it out.

(Again, you probably know all of the above, but thought I'd give you the the quick explanation, just in case.)

-Rob

masterjr33
masterjr33 New Reader
9/7/16 4:57 p.m.

no thrashing of the daily is allowed. but i may show up.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/7/16 5:20 p.m.

Hi Justin there's a couple of us at least in Jacksonville. I'd say more but the oven is beeping letting me know that the pizza is ready.

alfabeach
alfabeach New Reader
9/7/16 5:26 p.m.

Ponte Vedra Auto Show Sunday at Nocatee.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/7/16 5:32 p.m.
masterjr33 wrote: no thrashing of the daily is allowed. but i may show up.

It's really not thrashing...more just a run to the grocery store.

In the morning version there are some lefts and rights before arriving at the store.

In the evening, the store is just a meer 1/4 mile straight down the road.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/7/16 5:33 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis:

Excellent recap.

masterjr33
masterjr33 New Reader
9/7/16 7:24 p.m.
alfabeach wrote: Ponte Vedra Auto Show Sunday at Nocatee.

I will not bring a rusty 30 year old plymouth K car minivan to ponte vedra.... i have a small ammount of tact.

masterjr33
masterjr33 New Reader
9/7/16 7:28 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote:
masterjr33 wrote: no thrashing of the daily is allowed. but i may show up.
It's really not thrashing...more just a run to the grocery store. In the morning version there are some lefts and rights before arriving at the store. In the evening, the store is just a meer 1/4 mile straight down the road.

I sold the cobra because i didnt want to thrash the daily.. and bought a crap box i plan to race untill it breaks and repeat.. and i bought the van to daily.. if i raced the daily.. Confucius/wife would say" why you sell cobra to buy crapier car to drive. if you going to race crapier car, should have kept cobra" .

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
9/7/16 8:22 p.m.

You had me at 89 Voyager....

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/7/16 8:22 p.m.

Yeah, selling a mystichrome cobra......idk. but hey whatever.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/7/16 8:25 p.m.
masterjr33 wrote:
alfabeach wrote: Ponte Vedra Auto Show Sunday at Nocatee.
I will not bring a rusty 30 year old plymouth K car minivan to ponte vedra.... i have a small ammount of tact.

Every reason and feature that would make you feel out of place at Ponte Vedra are the exact reasons you would be welcome and at home at The Challenge.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/7/16 8:27 p.m.

I guess Confucius will just have to accept that the ice cream will be melty before you get home from the store since you are unwilling to practice the quick way to and fro.

Or, bring the Volvo!

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
9/8/16 10:55 p.m.
There are a couple others in the wings including a V8 Astro and an Odyssey.

I'm not in the wings, i'm just not saying much. My van has been drag-strip capable since like January.

Here's my Challenge chariot:

Welcome fellow rusty turbo 5spd minivan owner!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3sna5MbW6T7ibof9yYr12Flq0quNSJ4zIEcNnxz3hL1lMwbZ7dobcTR1QnAzZhCD