jrw1621
jrw1621 New Reader
7/10/08 8:59 p.m.

Has anyone here used this product? http://www.scangauge.com/

I am looking for some feedback before I drop $170 on one.

How well does it mount?

How well does it work?

Does it represent a good value or have you found something better or less expensive.

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
7/10/08 9:43 p.m.

Got one mounted in my DD and I like it alot. Havent had to use the scantool portion of it but I like it for the instant fuel economy readings. It also reads all the output from all the sensors so if your car didnt come with a particular gauge which you like to monitor (temp in my case) you can be monitoring that.

If you dont have an ODBII scan tool at all its definitely worth it for the extra features.
I already had a scanner for code reading but I still like the tool for all the other features. If you do alot os distance driving its amazing how much having the data in front of you will help you modify your habits for better mileage.

Mounting greatly varies based on the car. I made a custom mount for mine, took about 10 minutes.

jrw1621
jrw1621 New Reader
7/10/08 10:01 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: If you do alot os distance driving its amazing how much having the data in front of you will help you modify your habits for better mileage.

This is my real interest and no, I do not have an OBDII reader so it could be nice.

My guess is that install is mostly velco tape

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed New Reader
7/10/08 10:13 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote:
JThw8 wrote: If you do alot os distance driving its amazing how much having the data in front of you will help you modify your habits for better mileage.
This is my real interest and no, I do not have an OBDII reader so it could be nice. My guess is that install is mostly velco tape

$159.95 with free shipping at Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AAMY86/ref=nosim/coffeeresearch4529-20

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
7/11/08 7:44 a.m.

I have used it in my previous two cars. Very nice tool, but it only gives real time info and no data log abilities. Also make sure you check the compatiblity on your car. On my Volvo it didn't show boost and on the GTO it didn't show oil pressure...

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
7/11/08 9:26 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: This is my real interest and no, I do not have an OBDII reader so it could be nice. My guess is that install is mostly velco tape

Sounds like you would enjoy it then, I do really like having mine in the car.

Velcro tape is the common way. Didnt work for me since the smart's dashboard is mostly fabric so I fabbed up a little something else. Its nice because it lets me adjust the viewing position.

http://www.misfittoysracing.com/2008Smart/installed.JPG

Capt Slow
Capt Slow New Reader
7/11/08 7:35 p.m.

It might be quite a bit more expensive but the dashhawk seems pretty interesing, I was seriously considering it for a while, but I would want something that is compatable with pre CAN cars. I like the fact that you can save and upload your data to to a laptop.

Dashhawk website

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
7/11/08 7:41 p.m.

if your just looking for the MPG feature, get an E30 they come with one.. i have to admit that that gizmo was DISTRACTING when i first drove it. (i liked how i could make it drop with the pedal)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2b59q028xznNVsXT7Mij6jkWPOtdkPIziHZBUa2xoWV7KBKmivsaekqopWJezAOJ