1 ... 108 109 110 111 112 113
Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/17/22 10:06 p.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

That's perfect. Possible to ask for a degree range for the angle? Speed wise, we're in close enough boats (with me maybe 5-10mph down when I can actually drive). 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/17/22 10:15 p.m.

20-25 degrees somewhere

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/17/22 10:16 p.m.

I'll buy beer next time I see you. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/21/22 8:51 p.m.

I took the images and data from Kyle and tried to render them in aluminum. These fit all the measurements he sent me. Now I just have to make some mounts for them and make them pretty

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
4/8/22 3:38 p.m.

New canards are built, painted and installed 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/8/22 4:07 p.m.

That looks fantastic.  I was watching a Kyle video and saw some CFD 3D model results from your car a few days ago.  I wonder if Kyle wants to join a $2000 challenge team...

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
6/11/22 5:49 p.m.

Finally took the Panther out to run it in anger. Since last year, the only changes are addition of high downforce rear spoiler, dive planes out front and a slightly squished front end bodywork. The aero changes must have worked because the car felt very precise although the front end might be a little too strong. I can easily fix that with a sway bar or roll center change but I tend to make zero changes for local events and keep whatever is best for the Lincoln concrete.

The course was very busy and cone intensive, in other words, it was too tight and the elements were all too close to each other and even a simple slalom was made with hard offset cones so safe to say, too many cones were hit today (not by me, I actually hit fewer than anybody else). When you watch the video CLICK HERE notice how low my rpms are once I'm in 2nd gear. There was no place where I was in the meat of the powerband and the one time where it made boost, the back end kicked out and I was into the weeds.

The radiator sprung a slight leak on the end tank but the car made it through 5 runs without overheating. I will wait until there's a gap in the season to pull that out and fix it. Now that I know the aero works and the bodywork doesn't rub, I can make it all smooth and give the car a new livery. I think I should probably raise the ride height in front because the "flat" floor isn't actually flat because the frame rails are too low in the front.

I wrecked another GoPro case when on the side of the car. The local site has lots of gravel and the slicks chuck rocks at the GoPro at very high speed.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
7/17/22 11:03 p.m.

I had a local event today and the course looked fast so I was pretty excited after the walk through. I was second group so I watched all the times from the first group and did some mental math on how quick I would have to go to get top in PAX. For my first run I data logged and left the wheel speed sensor hooked up so I could see the speeds in the data.  For the rest of my runs, I bypassed the speed sensor and tricked the ECM into thinking I was going 65 mph all the time. This gives me more power down low and I did this because the course had a couple of really slow sections and I wanted max power to pull out of them.

On my first run, I hit a cone and was a little off my goal time of a high 35 second lap and like I said earlier, I used the VSS so I didn't have a lot of jam in the slow stuff. On my second run, I was quicker and clean and the car felt good but maybe I could use a little more front grip. I didn't do any changes and my 3rd run was my quickest. On my 4th run, I had raised the rear roll center and was doing pretty well until the pivot at the far end of the course. I downshifted to 1st and had no boost coming out of the turn, and my check engine light was on. I noticed that my speed was shown as zero and if the ECM thinks I'm not moving, it will not give me any boost or even allow me to rev to redline.

I got back to grid and checked my fuses and wiring and found no issue. I figured the Dakota Digital box had given up the ghost and I had a spare so I threw that one in there and it worked, I had boost again. I got a really good launch on my last run and entered the second section too fast and missed a gate, DNF and my day was over. I did get FTD by a good chunk of seconds but not enough for top PAX, where I finished 8th. Episode 286 Lost All Boost

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/15/22 12:08 a.m.

I know it's been a while since I updated but I've just had local events (yawn) and nothing very interesting has happened. I always get Fastest Time of Day and am generally top 10 in PAX. I have tried getting creative with camera angles but our local site has so much gravel that I've wrecked a number of Gopro cameras and cases so I tend to just stick with one camera high up on the roll bar.

The panther is going to spend the winter with a trusted friend to be raced and developed further than I can do on the narrow asphalt airstrip that I race on. It will be raced on big, Nationals style courses and I'll get her back next year. In preparation for this, I have been trying to get some odd jobs done on the car before it goes away. When I put the whole car together in its current form, I carefully measured all the suspension points and sent the data off the Ron Sutton Racing Technology, who gave me changes to make. In order to get the lower control arms exactly where RSRT wanted them, I had to run the frame so low that my flat floor wasn't actually flat. It has been this way for years but that has been corrected. I had to do some frame notching to get full travel but it's done and my floor is now flat. 

While doing the frame notching job, I had to remove my air intake tube and discovered that my air straightener had come loose and was just spinning inside the tube, disturbing air flow to the MAF. This would explain the random power losses I had been experiencing. Anyways, with these corrections made, I went to my local event this weekend and to make a long story short, I either have very dead tires or I have way more power than I have ever had because once the boost came up, I could not keep the car in a straight line. For the next event, I will put on better tires and will answer this question. I have video but it's not very interesting.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
8/15/22 11:59 a.m.

Will your friend be taking P to Lincoln next month?

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/15/22 9:01 p.m.
759NRNG said:

Will your friend be taking P to Lincoln next month?

The Panther will be at Nats next month and it will be raced, but only on the test course unless someone in EM breaks and wants to rent it off me, B and I will be competing in DM and DML. I will be in a Lotus Elan and she is in a Jeep

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
8/16/22 9:22 p.m.

Be safe you two and I hope your friend throws a royal beat down on twang banger jeffk this time at NATS

ojannen
ojannen Reader
9/8/22 3:41 p.m.

Did the Lotus die?  I see an MG in Emod.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
9/11/22 2:49 p.m.
ojannen said:

Did the Lotus die?  I see an MG in Emod.

Yeh, test course troubles with Lotus and it was unfixable before competition. Here is the video of the event 2022 SCCA SOLO NATIONALS

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/7/22 8:43 p.m.

Some lightening work has begun. I am moving to a front mounted intercooler and the air channel needs to go right through my suspension mount.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/8/22 9:07 a.m.

Does this improve chassis balance also?

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
11/8/22 4:57 p.m.

Is that grass left over from your "mow job" a few months ago?

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/8/22 9:47 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

No, probably makes it worse but overall there should be a performance gain

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/8/22 9:47 p.m.

In reply to Jerry From LA :

Yes, it needs a big cleanup, I should hire a groundskeeper

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/8/22 10:28 p.m.
loosecannon said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

in what context.....larger inter cooler equals more HP which negates actual placement....does this play hell with the newly installed front end scabbards/er down force winglets????

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/9/22 8:30 a.m.
759NRNG said:
loosecannon said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

in what context.....larger inter cooler equals more HP which negates actual placement....does this play hell with the newly installed front end scabbards/er down force winglets????

It moves weight slightly forward but weighs less than the old intercooler set up and is much more effective so intake temps will be lower, plus there might be some aero benefit of bringing air in the front and venting out the top of the hood.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/9/22 10:40 a.m.

I presume that once the tubing to/fro the relocated intercooler is established that additional bracing will be added back to the coilover support? 

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
11/9/22 1:29 p.m.
loosecannon said:

In reply to Jerry From LA :

Yes, it needs a big cleanup, I should hire a groundskeeper

This got a chuckle out of me.  Still following after all these years along with the Camaro project.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/25/22 8:44 p.m.

I made my first attempt at making a carbon fibre part. It landed up being a fail because it was too flexible and I think I know why. It was cold in the room I was working and the resin was too thick to fully infuse the CF cloth. Anyways, I made the tunnel out of aluminum instead and it worked out quite nicely.  Click for Video

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/25/22 10:06 p.m.

yes    and a wire mesh grill with a 'see' thru MG emblem?

1 ... 108 109 110 111 112 113

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wv3SgLCDOjcsCUM5OYMmiCBH14Xm6YwJJw2EeqYwNgsejnWCkSyUmrGuctXGjFna