1 2
NGTD
NGTD UberDork
8/10/16 5:09 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: In reply to NGTD: Surprisingly, it's not about the mods. It's actually about my impromptu bumper test following the ABS failing during a panic stop.

Why did the ABS fail? Can you fix it? I haven't seen a lot of ABS failures in my experience.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
8/10/16 5:37 p.m.

In reply to NGTD:

Must have run over a piece of road debris or something because the right front tone ring snapped, taking out the wheel speed sensor and causing the right front wheel to lock up. I checked all the other tone rings, no issues with any of them.

etifosi
etifosi Dork
8/10/16 8:18 p.m.

Wait, bumper test because "no ABS"? Where's the rest of this story G-buddy?

t25torx
t25torx Dork
8/10/16 8:54 p.m.

In reply to etifosi:

I Imagine it went something like when I was 16 and rear ended a truck after my brake booster failed.

Step one: Follow too close to the car ahead.

Step two: Drive too fast for the road conditions.

Step three: Slam on brakes in the wet and lock up.

Step four: Not be use to panic stops and wheels locking up, forget to easy off the pedal to unlock brakes.

Step five: Slide into vehicle ahead.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
8/10/16 9:00 p.m.

In reply to t25torx:

More like step 1: go around a blind curve under the speed limit

2: see your friend is stopped right around the corner.

3: slam on brakes

4: hear a ping and have the right front lock up

5: decide to tap his Corolla instead of head into oncoming or launch up the side of a mountain, destroying the engine an hour and a half from home.

etifosi
etifosi Dork
8/10/16 9:11 p.m.

"A UFO landing on top of the car is an accident, everything else is driver error."

Chip Ganassi

chiodos
chiodos Dork
8/10/16 9:13 p.m.

So new tone ring, maybe a new speed sensor and carry on? Ask your mom how she managed to live this long learning to drive without abs, its not the end of the world, heck i havent owed a car with abs in 7 years and ive been fine, just learn pedal modulation aka foot abs..

Seriously dont sell it, follow through because you wont find something as good or as reliable for as cheap as you got it.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
8/10/16 9:22 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: In reply to t25torx: More like step 1: go around a blind curve under the speed limit 2: see your friend is stopped right around the corner. 3: slam on brakes 4: hear a ping and have the right front lock up 5: decide to tap his Corolla instead of head into oncoming or launch up the side of a mountain, destroying the engine an hour and a half from home.

Having once been 17.. I choose not to believe this tale

etifosi said: "A UFO landing on top of the car is an accident, everything else is driver error." Chip Ganassi

This is so true, when I was younger I didn't want to believe it, but it's true.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
8/10/16 9:23 p.m.

In reply to chiodos:

New tone ring and speed sensor installed. I just wasn't expecting the ABS to let go at that point, and that split second could have made a big difference. Oh well.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
8/10/16 9:25 p.m.

You know how most humans are fight or flight? I'm "give it a second and see what happens."

Burrito
Burrito Dork
8/10/16 9:40 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: You know how most humans are fight or flight? I'm "give it a second and see what happens."

So, your evolutionary instinct is to die?

etifosi
etifosi Dork
8/10/16 9:51 p.m.

Years ago GRM had kids go through a driving school, can we get G-Buddy a seat somewhere similar and get an article?

He needs to learn how berkeleying deadly serious driving is.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
8/10/16 10:24 p.m.

So you were driving a G-body Cutlass at one point and didn't know how to deal with locking brakes?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
8/10/16 11:18 p.m.

Yes, I am the weakest evolutionary link. As for the brakes, I know how to deal with a non-ABS car (the Cutlass and the Echo both were ABS-free), it's just that I didn't expect my ABS to fail, and by the time I realized exactly what was going on, I knew I didn't have room to go anywhere. And yes, driving is serious. I'd never speed in a residential zone, and would only increase speed on highways to keep up with traffic. There are very real consequences for driver error.

Kartoffelbrei
Kartoffelbrei UltraDork
8/10/16 11:30 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: In reply to NGTD: Surprisingly, it's not about the mods. It's actually about my impromptu bumper test following the ABS failing during a panic stop.

If I know parents, I have a feeling that even though they aren't outright admitting it, they are blaming the mods for this happening.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
8/11/16 4:22 a.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: In reply to rslifkin: I did everything with my money, and the car's in my name. I still have no say unless I never want to talk to my parents again.

Given what you have shared about your parents, separating from them and finding your own way for a while when you hit the age of majority might be a good idea.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
8/11/16 6:01 a.m.

I repeat...kids...sigh

etifosi
etifosi Dork
8/18/16 7:09 p.m.
etifosi wrote: "A UFO landing on top of the car is an accident, everything else is driver error." Chip Ganassi

I now recall, that was said by Memo Rojas, quoting Chip.

How are things going G-Buddy?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eQSO2TzsMOyi8Gr6AbSEOFkIFwP8i3ehWY7p2zT2cLlxWBNKzVq9J5kQ3B8sUhX0