1 2
Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
10/31/11 4:54 p.m.

at least its better the the RAV4's I hear about just shutting off randomly..... Two of them are in my nursing class BTW.

Eric_81
Eric_81
4/3/14 11:26 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50: Hey everyone, 2011 Venza here, about 56'000 on it with an auto starter installed. Had it about 1 month and tonight at 12 midnight it started itself. Keys on a desk face up and the starter control in a cubby whole in my desk in touched and wife's keys in her jacket hanging. WTF mine didn't catch fire but that's just messed.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
4/4/14 12:00 a.m.

Aftermarket or factory installed remote start?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/4/14 12:10 a.m.

** Three year old thread.

In reply to Eric_81:

Did you buy this car privately or at a dealer?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
4/4/14 6:41 a.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: YES contact toyota, YES demand purchase price back, and if they give you the run around, show them Dateline NBC's number in your contacts....

This! I'm not a sewer/suer? but in this case, in this environment with Toyatas recent history and GMs troubles, I'd get serious about this.

I know it's a what-if type of thing but imagine the thousands of ways this could've gone REALLY bad.

Kids in the car, car in the garage, car next to house, car catches adjacent car on fire, car catches building on fire, you name it!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/4/14 8:00 a.m.

since someone brought back the zombie thread, what ever happened to this?

1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/4/14 8:07 a.m.
Snowdoggie wrote: My GF has a new Toyota Venza that has a habit of starting itself when she isn't in the car. Yes. She comes outside and finds her car running. It's been to the dealer several times for this problem and at one point they had it for about three weeks and a factory rep was involved. After the last time she thought the problem was fixed. This Friday afternoon she was parked in front of a Starbucks when the car self started again. By the time she got to the car she saw smoke coming out of the hood. She opened the hood, the engine compartment caught fire (yes she should have closed the hood but she didn't). Car burns. Fire Department called. Car may be a total loss. She wasn't hurt. Anybody have any idea what happened here. Does she have a ghost car or something. I have never heard of a car starting itself while sitting in the parking lot, and no, this car has no remote start feature.

Can one imagine the hate we would see on this forum if this was a VAG product, or a BMW, or a MINI? Toyota has its share of problems as well.

(let the flame war begin)

Seriously, sorry to see she is having troubles with this.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
4/4/14 8:31 a.m.
patgizz wrote: since someone brought back the zombie thread, what ever happened to this?

Snowdoggie got banned.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
4/4/14 8:36 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
patgizz wrote: since someone brought back the zombie thread, what ever happened to this?
Snowdoggie got banned.

Huh. When did that happen?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
4/4/14 8:39 a.m.

Eric, you want to contact Toyota, but also do this https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/4/14 8:53 a.m.

Let us (me) know what turns out on this... my wife has a Venza. We've had no issues so far...

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/4/14 8:59 a.m.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mqyYBbvYdheYeUAmIEkIvmdCh2GdRNFBNL8ob9cdKW1LIscV7hxuUBOxpV00WYCn