1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/22/16 6:41 p.m.

Funny, I find the build quality on an e36 m3 to be e36m3. This question is ultimately so personal. Like, I've owned bugs of all ages, I own a 61 and a 66 now, karmann ghias and 356s. I'll take an enhanced bug over the others all day!

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/22/16 6:59 p.m.

Well, until we are talking about open cars, the my favorite is a speedster, like everyone else.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
5/22/16 7:37 p.m.

In reply to ptmeyer84:

Best tow rig I own!

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/23/16 10:14 a.m.

A Mazdaspeed Miata is definitely not worth paying extra for over a regular NB. The Mazdaspeed additions are worthless overall. The turbo setup stinks and requires upgrades in every area to make it good. The intercooler is miniscule, piping is terrible, gearing is atrocious, the stock software has bugs.

You would do better and pay less just building a turbo Miata yourself out of a nice NB than buying a Mazdaspeed Miata.

markwemple wrote: Funny, I find the build quality on an e36 m3 to be e36m3.

It's really not. There are no major issues with the platform for street duty. There are a few things that need attention for track work, but overall it's a solid car as evinced by the number of them that have taken brutal beatings and still continue to soldier on.

It's also really easy to work on and has tons of inexpensive aftermarket support.

jsquared
jsquared HalfDork
5/23/16 2:38 p.m.

He may be referring the the E36 interior build quality...

Harvey
5/23/16 3:01 p.m.

It's not worse than a C5 Corvette.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/23/16 6:14 p.m.

Yeah, primarily interior. Can't imagine anything that is built worse than a vette. Very poor.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
5/24/16 10:39 a.m.
markwemple wrote: Yeah, primarily interior. Can't imagine anything that is built worse than a vette. Very poor.

Can't imagine anything worse than Chevy's top of the line grand touring car? What about their bottom of the line econobox? What about a Kia Rio, or Soul? Seriously, exaggeration of the month. They're not Lexus quality, sure, but worst interior you can image?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/16 10:52 a.m.

I think you now need to get a Jag STR. I know the loaiton of an 05 with 26K on it that they are asking 13.5k for

My friend has an 04 with the same motor that is now over 500 at the rear wheels. It involved a pulley or two and a tune.

I have driven it and it is one of those cars that you need a "grin-ectomy" when you are done.

jsquared
jsquared HalfDork
5/24/16 12:26 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote:
markwemple wrote: Yeah, primarily interior. Can't imagine anything that is built worse than a vette. Very poor.
Can't imagine anything worse than Chevy's top of the line grand touring car? What about their bottom of the line econobox? What about a Kia Rio, or Soul? Seriously, exaggeration of the month. They're not Lexus quality, sure, but worst interior you can image?

Their bottom of the line econobox and top of the line "grand touring" car (for the C5? riiiight) are THE SAME PARTS. Same fisher-price level junk that's in the same-year Cavalier and same-year other stuff like my wife's Trailblazer. My 2005 STI has a better interior than the C5 Vette. The 1990 Audi sedan I used to have with a quarter of a million miles had a better interior than a C5 Vette. The Kia Cerato rental car I'm driving has a better interior than a C5 Vette (and that's Asian-market rental car spec). I want to say my 1992 Nissan 240SX had a better interior than a C5 Vette, but I can't bring myself to say it because of the S13 doorpanel tweed and the fact that most of the interior went into a dumpster about 8 years ago.

Harvey
5/24/16 3:07 p.m.

The C5 Vette interior is not good. Lots of black plastic and GM parts bin pieces.

The C6 is a considerable step up, though still a little downmarket compared to competitors in the price range. The C7 does it right overall.

The E36 M3 interior is way better than the C5 Vette. The difference usually is that most E36 M3s have been beat to hell and back by now whereas many Vettes just don't have a lot of mileage put on them.

ptmeyer84
ptmeyer84 Reader
5/24/16 4:27 p.m.

What if I adjust my budget...again.

Any thoughts on the E92 M3? Many are priced below $30k which, pending spousal approval, is possible. Not really in line with my previous parameters but would still fit. There is a blue one near me for $27k with 63k miles.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
5/24/16 4:30 p.m.

They have rod bearing issues. I'd choose an E46 M3 or an E36 M3 first...

Harvey
5/24/16 4:44 p.m.
docwyte wrote: They have rod bearing issues. I'd choose an E46 M3 or an E36 M3 first...

Yeah and the E46 M3 had rod bearing issues as well and the E36 M3 had oil starvation issues under high g load. They all have some sort of problem, but they don't all have the problem all of the time and with enough preventative maintenance most of these things never happen.

I wouldn't worry about it. Even the GRM article on the cars said the drivetrain is pretty bulletproof. If you're really worried about it then allocate another $3k to do the rod bearings.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
5/24/16 6:15 p.m.

In reply to jsquared:

My only point was that if you can't imagine a worse interior than a Corvette, you have no imagination.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
5/24/16 7:11 p.m.

E90 M3 is a nice option. They Seem to be a good deal.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
5/24/16 7:20 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote: In reply to jsquared: My only point was that if you can't imagine a worse interior than a Corvette, you have no imagination.

Or you don't have very good perspective? Pick any Pontiac from 1988 and tell me it's better than a C5. For that matter, go sit in any C4 and you'll beg for the quality of a C5.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/24/16 7:21 p.m.

The e9x M3s sure sound nice when uncorked!

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/24/16 7:23 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote:

Not just the interior. I'm addressing overall quality. Ok, so jeep wranglers are worse, but that might be it. Corvettes just don't hold up. Stupid stuff breaks.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/24/16 7:26 p.m.
docwyte wrote: They have rod bearing issues. I'd choose an E46 M3 or an E36 M3 first...

I haven't heard anything good about them once they get miles. BMW and turbo don't work well together.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/24/16 7:34 p.m.

At the end of the day, every car has it's pluses and minuses. It's so personal. In my hunt I bought a 996. I've considered going more practical or just for a change but when I add it all up, I end up back at a 996. But that's just me.

Opti
Opti HalfDork
5/24/16 7:56 p.m.
Harvey wrote: The C5 Vette interior is not good. Lots of black plastic and GM parts bin pieces. The C6 is a considerable step up, though still a little downmarket compared to competitors in the price range. The C7 does it right overall. The E36 M3 interior is way better than the C5 Vette. The difference usually is that most E36 M3s have been beat to hell and back by now whereas many Vettes just don't have a lot of mileage put on them.

I always enjoy this conversation, its the same thing with the Fbodies.

Alrighty, here is a C5 Interior

Here is a cavalier of the same vintage interior

I dont say anything that is the same. Steering wheel is different, vents, HVAC controls, shifter, window switched, gauges, the cruise stalk looks similar but thats about it. The vette uses a similar looking radio to pretty much every other GM truck and car of the era, but even modern Lambos, share more switch gear with lower level audis than 90s vettes do with lowly GMs.

Now here is C6 interior

Oh man see that steering wheel and its controls, same as the cobalt and malibu and pretty much every GM car of that era, also the window switchs and lots of the small buttons and stalks are also parts bin pieces. The C6 was much more of a parts bin interior than C5, doesnt mean its not nice. It is a step up, and the later C6s with the leather interior options are freakin awesome, but cars have come a long way in the last 20 years and almost every modern interior is going to be nicer than a 20 year old interior.

But a C5 is not bad, about the only hard plastic is the center console bezel, the dash, and door panels are soft "leather".

I drive one everyday and it doesnt squeak or rattle and its a perfectly fine place to be, but literally every new car will probably be nicer, but we arent comparing new cars were are comparing older cheap performance cars that are going to be used for the track so why does it even matter.

As much as everyone believes it to be true, just because GM built it doesnt mean it has to have a bad interior, compare it to its contemporaries and you'll see it fits right into its era.

Ive driven a Dinan SC'd E36 M3 and Id take an LS1 Fbody over it ESPECIALLY for track use. But its an Fbody so of course its only good for drag racing, you say, well about 10 years ago, Motortrend ran an 02 WS6 and it ran throught the slalom faster and did better on the skid pad than an E36 M3. IMPOSSIBLE its a GM!!!!!!!!!

Im just saying actually go drive these cars you (the OP) are considering, and form your own opinions

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/16 8:01 p.m.

You know you need one

400 hp out of the box. Suppercharged V8 goodness.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
5/24/16 8:19 p.m.
markwemple wrote: At the end of the day, every car has it's pluses and minuses. It's so personal. In my hunt I bought a 996. I've considered going more practical or just for a change but when I add it all up, I end up back at a 996. But that's just me.

I've had the same personal debate countless times and I always end up right back with what I've got. It's good to be that happy. Cheers.

ptmeyer84
ptmeyer84 Reader
5/24/16 10:19 p.m.

Thanks again for the discussion. I have been in such a rush to get a car so I could enjoy this driving season that I may be moving too fast. I should make sure I am able to drive multiple cars before I make a descision. I need to drive more cars. I have many preconceived notions in my head, but very little seat time. I will try and fix that. Here is the list. My goal is to drive as many as possible this summer and not rush.

Vettes C4, C5, C6

M3s E46, E92

S2000

996, 986, 987

Jaguar X-Type type R

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zMERl5CLuvLmZIuGEpndA8KojYAuF1LEerrVen9Pb5pD9RuuN5J3iugw9Q2yARQ1