SmokeyA3
SmokeyA3 New Reader
7/29/09 3:15 p.m.

I have a 2007 Sentra 2.0 S w/ 6spd MT that's my daily driver. It's a good little car that gets good gas mileage. I also have a 1991 240sx that I bought about a year and half ago as a project vehicle/daily driver. Well, I couldn't leave it alone and now the motor is completey disassembled and sitting in my laundry room. I have big plans for the 240, but my question is: Should I spend money on the Sentra to make it more track friendly, save my money for the 240, or spend money on both? Either way, money is tight (like it is for everyone), but the stuff I want to buy for the Sentra isn't all that expensive. The ideas I have for the 240, however, are very expensive.

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
7/29/09 3:21 p.m.

As much as it pains me to say it, the new Sentra is an overweight turd. Better to spend your time getting the 240 back up and running.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
7/29/09 3:22 p.m.

Since the Sentra still has a warranty, I'd leave it alone (except maybe for tires) for a while. Follow through with work on the 240 and get it track-ready. That way, you'll still have something to use for getting to work if something goes wrong on track. That's what I think I'd do, at least.

Tell us more about these big plans for the 240...

SmokeyA3
SmokeyA3 New Reader
7/29/09 3:31 p.m.

Yeah, the Sentra is a little underpowered, but is a little spirited on the back roads around where I live. The warranty is an issue, too. Thanks for the info. As for the 240, I want to send the motor to AMS Performance to get completely rebuilt. I'd like about 400-450 hp out of it, with a turbo setup. I'm not swapping in an SR20 like most people do. It would be street legal, but just barely. Rollcage, coil-overs, and carbon fiber. I'm the type that believes form follows function. Show cars are nice, but looks aren't all that important to me. I'm all about performance. I may keep the radio and a/c, but I'm not sure, however most of the interior will be gone. It will be able to drift, but that's not what it'll be built for. It's plain-jane-white and will probably stay that way, mainly to keep a low profile.

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/29/09 3:45 p.m.

Only allow the speed bug to attack ONE of your vehicles at a time. ONCE that car is 100% finished than allow the greedy beast to suck the money out for another project.

Take this as truth: The project that you have started is better than the one you have not yet started.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/29/09 5:43 p.m.

listen to the master you must, knows well he does.

andrave
andrave Reader
7/29/09 6:05 p.m.

I've owned lots of S13s. LOTS. Modified s13's make super E36 M3ty daily drivers. They just do. They are scary in the rain or snow, you bang your head on the roll bar, the sticky tires wear out from the negative camber.

I mean if you do a good build on one where its fun on the track, its not much fun on the road anymore. No ac... no radio.. ugh ugh ugh.

my advice is enjoy the 240 as is as much as you can and keep the sentra bone bone bone stock and reliable as your DD. Use any money you have for beating on the 240 at the track and make improvements where necessary. Learn to drive it the way it is first though.

SmokeyA3
SmokeyA3 New Reader
7/31/09 6:18 p.m.

I appreciate all the input. I think I will just stick with spending money on the 240, except of course what I HAVE to spend on the Sentra. I just recently joined this site, though I've been reading the mag for a while. I'm just anxious to get on the track and the 240 isn't driveable, so... I guess it'll pay off that I'm a patient person...sometimes.

andrave
andrave Reader
7/31/09 8:48 p.m.

c'mon man stock ka's are like $200. drop one in while you build the other motor.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9nEjqX1LQyCw0b90MdTrXDLXPSwsZUkC6JIrLWgI1lPW4yHZfnv0eoF04NY8Fko8