1 2 3 ... 5
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/22 12:30 p.m.

Ever since the ND was introduced, I've been harassing Mazda for more interesting colors. Soul Red is a stunner (even if it's used on everything from IMSA prototypes to SUVs) but the rest of the palette is kinda meh. I had hopes for Eternal Blue but it's still a dark color. What I've wanted to see is basically Lexus Ultrasonic Blue, the blue version of Soul Red. I know there's an ND painted in Mariner Blue but the ND body shape needs a metallic to work properly.

Well, this thing just showed up in our town. THAT'S what I'm talking about. I've seen on the street and it pops. It's wrapped, unfortunately. It's not a new color. But boy howdy do I wish it was. C'mon Mazda, give us some sports car colors. Jeep gets it.

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
5/20/22 12:40 p.m.

Yep, there's a reason I bought the 30AE and 3 years later, there's still no ND color that I would replace it with.  Having owned a Laser Blue Mica P5, I'd have bought that color again in a heartbeat.

dps214
dps214 Dork
5/20/22 12:51 p.m.

Man, they went to all that money/effort to wrap it and skipped the mirrors? But yeah, that color is way better than anything they offer. I get cutting down on options and commonizing the choices across the whole model range is a good business strategy. But with all that cost savings can't you manage to have at least one fun color in there? Seems like other manufacturers are getting on board with figuring that out. Ford has at least two or three good color choices on most of their cars these days, and another few that aren't my taste but are definitely more interesting than five different shades of gray.

Keith Tanner
5/20/22 12:54 p.m.

Laser Blue is a good color, it would work as a start.

Mirrors are hard to wrap well. Black is a good second choice, which I'm assuming is the paint color of this car. I'm curious about the unwrapped section at the top of the windshield, but perhaps there's a reason.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/22 1:19 p.m.

Huh.

Now that I think of it, EVERY ND i have seen was what I assume is Soul Red.

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/20/22 1:29 p.m.

Lotus chrome orange would be my choice.

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
5/20/22 1:30 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I think red is the only interesting color available on the base model. I really like the eternal blue though, it looks great in the sun.

Keith Tanner
5/20/22 1:30 p.m.

That's because you don't see the ones that aren't Soul Red :) They're invisible.

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta Reader
5/20/22 1:33 p.m.

I suggested in another Miata discussion that they should bring back one NA color every year and sell a certain number as a Heritage Edition.  Mariner one year...Sunburst the next...BRG...the M-edition colors...etc.

Maybe we should just be grateful the ND exists at all and hasn't been replaced by an MX-50 hybrid crossover.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/20/22 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Saw a white one just yesterday.  To be fair, only saw it cause they were driving like a clown and wanted to cut me off.

I tried to convince my wife to get the Sky Blue Mica when she got her CX5.  Such a good color.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/20/22 1:39 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

That's because you don't see the ones that aren't Soul Red :) They're invisible.

LOL beat me to it. Even my Deep Crystal Blue (the other non-grayscale color) looks too muted unless in direct sun. Observe:

Versus:

Compared to other cool performance blues:

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
5/20/22 1:40 p.m.

hey, they got beige now

Opti
Opti Dork
5/20/22 1:40 p.m.

My sould red ND came with black mirrors.

Opti
Opti Dork
5/20/22 1:41 p.m.

In reply to j_tso :

Hey I dig that beige

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/20/22 1:43 p.m.

Huh.  I like the ND colors.  The whites and the grays.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/20/22 1:49 p.m.

In reply to j_tso :

Yep. After 6 years of complaining about color choice, they give us...Platinum Quartz!..zzzZZZzzz

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/20/22 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

Blasphemy!

Don't you blasphemy in here!

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
5/20/22 2:08 p.m.

I've been on the Mazda website a few times configuring a new Miata and all of their color choices are lame. It is a sports car, give us some vibrant colors.

Keith Tanner
5/20/22 2:26 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

In reply to j_tso :

Yep. After 6 years of complaining about color choice, they give us...Platinum Quartz!..zzzZZZzzz

Which, in that picture, looks like a very shiny Ceramic Mica. Or, as I like to call it, "metallic primer".

Ever since the RF was introduced, my personal spec would be a black one wrapped in a bright metallic blue. Basically, the car in the original post.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/20/22 2:45 p.m.

I saw a bright orange ND the other day and it looked fantastic. 

Daylan C.
Daylan C. PowerDork
5/20/22 2:50 p.m.

This image made me want an ND a lot more. Please, Mazda, may we have some color.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/20/22 2:57 p.m.

I honestly don't care for Soul Red much myself.  Something closer to a modern Ferrari red would be much more to my liking.

I'm not buying an MX-5 though so my opinions are not of much value.  They need to listen to the folks that want to buy one.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
5/20/22 2:57 p.m.
Daylan C. said:

I would very much like to buy a Miata offered with this color paint.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/20/22 3:15 p.m.

The problem is no one buys colors in other models and colors are expensive unless you buy them in large quantities.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
5/20/22 3:57 p.m.

Give me color choices like I'd see in a BMW individual catalog. Please. Everything is so muted and over pearled and over metalliced.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aeXORXGSKH38QSx8tDvQmRmMCjpDxYpsWDs8zOkwKrHtigeIa1WS9ilA10D19cNw