1 2
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/13 1:43 p.m.

I will agree with you Dean. My Uncle, now retired, was the head of Cardiology at the regional trauma centre/hospital here. He always drove nice, but not too nice cars. Think Grand Marquis Wagons, Caprice Sedans, that sort of thing. His feelings were that he did not want his clients (patients) to think they were financing some huge payment each month.

He did have a corvette.. but that never went to the hospital or the office. It was strictly a "day off" car

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
1/10/13 2:02 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: To the OP: I am the Boss. I am a consultant. Now I could go out and get a s500. (I sooooooooooooo want one) or a 740 or 540 sport. BUT There is a perceived level of wealth that comes with these cars that would rub my clients the wrong way. I know this to be a fact. Check I have got jobs because I drive regular American cars with the exception of my 25 year old 924s and that sure does not project opulence. I had a client tell me that we got the job because the competition projected a false persona and that they did not want to be the ones paying for there 90K MB. The fact of the matter is that the MB in question was probably only worth 20-30K but that does not matter it is what the person handing out the $$$$$$ thought. I guess what I am saying is that projecting an image that really is not U is not really beneficial. In fact driving a car that overstates who you are can really rub some people the wrong way. So go get an appliance that is in "like new" condition and save some more $$$ up and get a miata or a 3 series or some other toy to scratch the itch.

Just the opposite in my case. My clients relate to the cars I drive-exotics, musclecars or an interesting project. They are my calling cards as a "car guy" and not some poseur that just wants their money. I walk the walk and talk the talk-and can usually do a pretty good job of scrubbing the grease out from under my nails when needed. Drive what you want.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/10/13 2:05 p.m.

Maxima? Room for coworkers/clients. Easy enough to find and good performance and reliability.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/10/13 2:37 p.m.

What is an older acura TL selling for these days?

Ok answered my own question. I found this.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/3531238155.html

@ forzav12: I want your job !!!!!

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/10/13 2:39 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: IS300 1st Gen G35 Sedan Pre-beak TSX

Weird. I am looking at these three right now. If anyone can find me a 6 speed 06-08 TSX in red or white, with black interior and tech package, I'll buy you a steak dinner.

dean1484
1/10/13 2:39 p.m.
From CL add above. said: Mid sized and therefore perfect for families; Ample trunk space for golf clubs, skis, groceries or 77 garden gnomes

He he he - Garden Gnomes, for some reason that got me laughing at my computer.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/10/13 2:51 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: BUT There is a perceived level of wealth that comes with these cars that would rub my clients the wrong way. I know this to be a fact.

Oh I thought I was the only person who didn't like that.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
1/10/13 2:53 p.m.
forzav12 wrote: Just the opposite in my case. My clients relate to the cars I drive-exotics, musclecars or an interesting project. They are my calling cards as a "car guy" and not some poseur that just wants their money. I walk the walk and talk the talk-and can usually do a pretty good job of scrubbing the grease out from under my nails when needed. Drive what you want.

It might help a bit if we knew what business he's into. GRM once had an ad for their advertising emphasizing that their ad sales guy drove a first generation RX7, with the tag line, "Avoid talking to suits."

dean1484
1/10/13 3:02 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
dean1484 wrote: BUT There is a perceived level of wealth that comes with these cars that would rub my clients the wrong way. I know this to be a fact.
Oh I thought I was the only person who didn't like that.

Nope. Pisses me off. I can get a decent s500 from the mid to late 2000's for less than 20K and I get branded as being rich. When in fact I would have probably payed less then my clients secretary paid for there new Honda.

Yep makes perfect sense to me.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
1/10/13 3:22 p.m.

did this board just get trolled?

No post newbie shows up to the "hardcore sportscar" forum stating...

Akeaka wrote: I'm new to this whole car thing...

...then asks a self conflicting question, and never returns.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
1/10/13 3:22 p.m.

There's the perception of I am exceptional at what I do and the value I bring so whatever rewards/compensation received is earned and worth it. Can also work backwards - they must not be very good if all they can afford is a 15 year old beater car. Depends on your business

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/10/13 3:31 p.m.
xflowgolf wrote: did this board just get trolled? No post newbie shows up to the "hardcore sportscar" forum stating...
Akeaka wrote: I'm new to this whole car thing...
...then asks a self conflicting question, and never returns.

I figured it was a bot or someone planning to canoe later and posting this as their "establishing / testing the waters" (ha ha, waters) thread.

dean1484
1/10/13 4:44 p.m.
oldtin wrote: There's the perception of I am exceptional at what I do and the value I bring so whatever rewards/compensation received is earned and worth it. Can also work backwards - they must not be very good if all they can afford is a 15 year old beater car. Depends on your business

Yep that is true also. My mustang is a 94 but the body styles have not changed all the much so it looks allot newer than it is. My expedition.. . well it is a big truck and most don't know jack about it. I tell people that ask that it is the tow vehicle

mad_machine
1/10/13 8:16 p.m.
oldtin wrote: There's the perception of I am exceptional at what I do and the value I bring so whatever rewards/compensation received is earned and worth it. Can also work backwards - they must not be very good if all they can afford is a 15 year old beater car. Depends on your business

This is very true.. I got a lot of E36 M3 when people learned I drove a BMW... until they learned it was a 15 year old hatchback

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/11/13 6:52 a.m.

Depends who you're selling to...if you're selling to rich folks, better have an expensive car to prove that you too are a Randian superman. If you're selling to middle/lower class, you don't want to look like you rip people off.

When I was a kid, what made my parents finally move from one of the houses we were renting is when the landlord showed up to collect the rent in a shiny new imported C4 Corvette.

mad_machine
1/11/13 9:28 a.m.

this is one of those cases where you could get a reliable vintage car and not be shunned by either the rich or the middle class.

Thins volvo 1800, Saab classic 900, Volkswagen Rabbit. Anything iconic, but not deadly exensive to buy when new

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/11/13 11:32 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: this is one of those cases where you could get a reliable vintage car and not be shunned by either the rich or the middle class. Thins volvo 1800, Saab classic 900, Volkswagen Rabbit. Anything iconic, but not deadly exensive to buy when new

TBH, I think the only impression an old Rabbit would leave on a customer is a negative one. The P1800 would be slick but they are also not cheap by any means, and most people don't know they exist, let alone that they are Volvos...

forzav12
forzav12 HalfDork
1/11/13 12:35 p.m.

Exactly. Why on earth would I limit my driving experience based upon what someone else feels is appropriate for me to drive? Pure nonsense. If you charge a fair price and are good at what you do, I would hope that you experience success.

J308
J308 Reader
1/13/13 3:53 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: GRM once had an ad for their advertising emphasizing that their ad sales guy drove a first generation RX7...

I have no idea what the berkeley you are saying here. Seriously help me understand.

OP, the IS300 is one of the most expensive cars to insure that still appears on the symbol scale. Avoid it, because it's not justified, it's just something that insurance people know nothing about and aren't willing to correct.

I had $10,300 in my one-owner 2005 ZHP 330i, which sold for $49k new. It was mint and pretty impressive to everyone that saw it, including bank execs, because it was so clean.

Someone on this forum bought a Boxster for like $6k, I'll find it later.

mad_machine
1/13/13 4:42 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote:
mad_machine wrote: this is one of those cases where you could get a reliable vintage car and not be shunned by either the rich or the middle class. Thins volvo 1800, Saab classic 900, Volkswagen Rabbit. Anything iconic, but not deadly exensive to buy when new
TBH, I think the only impression an old Rabbit would leave on a customer is a negative one. The P1800 would be slick but they are also not cheap by any means, and most people don't know they exist, let alone that they are Volvos...

I don;t think so. A clean rabbit that looks like it came off of the showroom floor would astound people. The only trouble would be beating off the fanbois who want to drop, poke, stretch, and rust it

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
1/13/13 5:41 p.m.

Ever heard of the "millionaire next door" most millionaires in the united states drive american sedans and now more recently suv's they live in middle class neighborhoods and drive stuff that is 2-3 yrs old and paid off.

Has the OP even posted anything but the original topic? I agree with what people are saying in general. Drive what you want, but make whatever you drive a good clean example and keep it clean and nice. If you are a business professional and are dressed nice and driving a 10yr old honda accord that looks showroom new I am going to see professionalism and a smart money attitude. If you are a business professional and show up in a dirty looking BMW I am going to think you are wasteful with what you have and don't appreciate nice things.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dFTvh0f7jvR3o5mD4mmXBOey70pdR1uupS82d6K4M1A9XagkMKkpbv1O3vWPtxFs