dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/16 8:18 a.m.

My idea is to get under them with my pressure washer and blast everything as best I can. Ok then what? I have used the rustolum rust converter in the past and liked it. I was going to hit everything I can see wit I using spray cans and then follow it up with rubberized under coating.

Is there a better plan for this. Neither truck has any serious rust under it other than the rear bumpers. There is some light surface rust. This is more of a preventive thing and to son degree to clean things up underneath. I really want to get this done before this years salt season.

Any ideas suggestions.

Can you get POR in a spray or would I need to use my Harbor Freight spray gun with it.

Are there any water based products out there like POR? It would make clean up that much easier as thus I going to be a very messy job.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/26/16 8:36 a.m.

I'm a fan of Fluid Film, applied annually.

TGMF
TGMF Reader
8/26/16 9:58 a.m.

Just did fluid film to my Xterra yesterday. took me a hour to do the entire underside, inside the frame and out, rockers, and all the doors and every other crevice I could get to. I even removed the tail lights and sprayed through the hole with the hoses to get the inside of the rear wheel arches. I also lowered the spare wheel/tire and sprayed above that and the wheel itself. People swear by this stuff. Pressure washing isn't really needed unless you've got caked on mud or something under there.

If you have a compressor, There is a gallon fluid film kit including spray gun, hoses and a spray cans of FF available on amazon. Spray gun and hoses work fantastic, totally worth buying. Pour and spray, no thinning needed. No mess really at all, I did it in my work polo and jeans, and was still respectable when done. This was my first time using FF,and I too expected a huge mess.

I've been told that the spray on undercoating and cheap spray paint will just flake off and get air gaps between it and the metal, trapping salt and moisture against the metal you're trying to protect and making things worse.

Im going with the annual Fluid film application plan as well. Just make sure you do all your normal maintenance (drain and fill all fluids) first if needed just to help keep yourself clean.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vLiFDcVCJzSTj88YmZIoRJSldnjXOogsQpJkjm6l6TamvQ5ifOV9kBPdKNscOHsA