1 2 3
rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/12/15 5:12 p.m.

This just showed up at the used car dealer I work with. Low km's, 64000, and it's never seen winter. Unfortunately, like most Jag's of this vintage it's saddled with an automatic trans. It's the 6 not the V12 so at least it should be reliable, ha. Why I'm I tempted by this...must resist. What else should I be looking for, other than the standard British fluid leaks. Not sure of the year but I'm thinking late 80's???

<a href="Jaguar baby.">Jag 1

<a href="Jaguar baby.">Jag 2

erohslc
erohslc Dork
8/12/15 6:06 p.m.

Run away, run away, run away ....

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock PowerDork
8/12/15 7:22 p.m.

I like it. I would agree to run away if it were a V12. Buy it.

I'd bet it's a 94.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
8/12/15 7:24 p.m.

I second the buy it motion. Straight six XJS coupes make amazing cars. It's the type of car you give a full Chemical Guys regimen every month, simply because you love it so much.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto HalfDork
8/12/15 7:52 p.m.

Looks awesome! Do it for the noise it will make at the very least.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
8/12/15 8:10 p.m.

One of us, one of us, one of us

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
8/12/15 8:46 p.m.

I thought the whole point to owning one of those was to have the V12? Personally, I'd pass on the I6.

Man do I want a V12 powered Jag....

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
8/12/15 9:23 p.m.

I am appalled to say that I am very much attracted to that big cat.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
8/12/15 9:29 p.m.

I saw one of these driving down the highway with a for sale sign. I snapped a pic of the car and called the guy. He wanted 5 or 6k and it was a V12. If I had the money I would have bought it. I agree, I would rather have the V12 but someone will surely set me straight on why exactly that is a bad idea....

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
8/12/15 9:31 p.m.

It's just a base model with a I6, so you won't feel as bad when you inevitably put a LSx in it.

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
8/12/15 10:11 p.m.

Here is something that at be a little telling. Of the XJS on my extended local CL the V 12 cars are in the 2500-5000 range while the I6 cars are 6500-10000

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/15 11:50 p.m.

The i6 takes boost REALLY well.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/12/15 11:51 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: The i6 takes boost REALLY well.

Do tell.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/15 11:57 p.m.

Nothing to tell. They are over built motors that take boost well. Add an M90 and have fun.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/13/15 9:09 a.m.

Have you picked it up yet?

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/13/15 9:11 a.m.

Not v12 not convertible - I'd keep looking.

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
8/13/15 9:14 a.m.

In reply to rcutclif:

Two excellent reasons why this is the one to buy.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
8/13/15 9:53 a.m.
rustysteel wrote: This just showed up at the used car dealer I work with. ...must resist.

Any particular reason you must resist?

If you really like it and can afford it, 'fraid I don't see a particular reason not to go for it.

frenchyd
frenchyd New Reader
8/13/15 11:12 a.m.

In reply to erohslc: Well Chevrolet didn't run from the Jaguar six.. They bought it! (and put it in their SUV's) Yup Chevy Trail Blazer, GMC Envoy Olds and Buick also had it although I can't remember the names they used..

It's a wonderfully rugged reliable engine (GM modified out to 4.2 liters) that performs almost as well as the V12 does but gets mid 20's for Fuel mileage rather than the High teens of the V12

The irony is GM bought the engine from Jaguar right from underneath Ford's nose. When Ford heard that Jaguar was for sale and GM was looking at it Ford rushed together a really big bid just as GM walked away with the rights and equipment for this engine..

frenchyd
frenchyd New Reader
8/13/15 11:17 a.m.

In reply to rustysteel: Only a handful of those had the 5 speed but the parts are pretty well grabbed up by the racers. The automatic while not as macho is a decent GM transmission that seems to last forever as long as the fluid is changed regularly..

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
8/13/15 11:25 a.m.

Been there, done that. Had a '88 with the 12. That one is post '90 facelift, in any case

I agree, go for the 6 instead of the 12. The 12 is just not worth the headaches. After dealing with the overheating, engine fire, byzantine vacuum systems, and requisite electrical problems, I ended up donating mine for the tax deduction.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/13/15 11:31 a.m.

GM'S Atlas 6 is actually a Jag? No E36 M3?

frenchyd
frenchyd New Reader
8/13/15 11:50 a.m.

In reply to Basil Exposition: The overheating and engine fire were likely the same problem. The V12 distributor needs to be periodically oiled.. It takes maybe 30 minutes tops and if not done regularly causes all sorts of problems..

Yes there were electrical issues with Jaguar.. The fix is insanely simple.. tighten up the ground wires.. I swear the people on the assembly line were extremely limp wristed.. Nope nothing about gender preference.

The basic engine is extremely stout.. big, (you can take it over 10 liters) heavy duty and if properly maintained capable of extremely great longevity.. The Transmission is A GM turbo 400 used in tow trucks and ambulances (not the whimpy version used in cars) or later it's overdrive version..

Finally Cars of that era, any brand or make, Car-b-ques were common. Reliability was iffy. I had a Blazing Blazer that burned to sheet metal at only 55,000 miles (Chevy V6) and at least once a week I'd see the burn ring of a recent car fire (car-B-que) along side the highway.

frenchyd
frenchyd New Reader
8/13/15 11:52 a.m.

In reply to rustysteel: More likely early to mid 90's

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
8/13/15 12:00 p.m.

Someone talk me out of buying one of these...I love the looks for some reason I can't really justify replacing anything in the stable currently with one and don't have any play money left over after the last car purchase, but I am gonna start perusing CL for cheap ones anyway.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O0XQHa1JzsSidFTWsSKGWAwUnFAXzeINri2NhF3hXhvxcSBw0hcytxBVfsgOkCJ0