1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/14/20 11:01 a.m.

So why is everyone painting in my color? Arctic Blue Metallic? Almost thinking of going red now. cheeky

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/14/20 12:03 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

My Tiger is Avanti Turquoise, at least as close as I could get by memory using in stock materials. The two pictured below as well as some BMW silver to lighten it.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/14/20 12:30 p.m.

Got the cockpit finished and the gloss white on the body. The top of the car around the cockpit will be blue (but not Arctic Blue, @vwcorvette!) and will have to be shaped so as to match some pinstripe decals. It's going to be a PITA to mask. I didn't do anything to the cockpit besides add some seatbelts, since everything is black and any additional detail won't be visible. I used painted medical tape, photo etched hardware, and some logos from an Indycals sheet. 

alfabeach
alfabeach New Reader
4/14/20 12:47 p.m.

Still in the wrapper. Had a bigger one in 1989.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/14/20 1:18 p.m.

Hey guys, 

Does this sound dumb? My real life Delica is older than the model I'm attempting to build. It's basically the same, but it's pre face-lift and has a few different things than the model. Most notable is the front bull bar. Mine is white instead of chrome and is just a single loop compared to the delux one in the kit. Should I modify it? Can I paint the chrome parts white? 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/20 1:28 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Strip the chrome off first with Westley's Bleche-White or Castrol Super Clean. Then clip off the extra bars in either side and glue a piece of sprue in between the uprights to make your center bar.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/14/20 1:30 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Strip the chrome off first with Westley's Bleche-White or Castrol Super Clean. Then clip off the extra bars in either side and glue a piece of sprue in between the uprights to make your center bar.

Bleach-white? The stuff for cleaning tires? I actually have some of that. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/14/20 2:07 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Yup , the white wall tire stuff!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/14/20 2:14 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Soak them in it, or just spray it on, and wipe off the chrome?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/14/20 2:29 p.m.

Color coat #2 laid down this morning.

Looks crappy in the pic, but to be fair, I just painted it. It looks much better now, and I'll give it at least another coat on the body stuff.

Also started painting some of the chassis/interior parts. I only had gloss black in a spray can, so that's what I used. I will be doing detail work with a brush later on.

4/14/20 3:15 p.m.
Mazdax605 said:
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Soak them in it, or just spray it on, and wipe off the chrome?

Soak the chrome stuff. Should come off in a couple of hours. Wash with dish soap when done.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
4/14/20 4:30 p.m.

Progress. This is taking far more time than I expected.

J0N

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/14/20 4:49 p.m.

In reply to jmthunderbirdturbo :

Difficult perhaps, but the interior looks spectacular. The wood grains and instruments really pop!

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/14/20 5:14 p.m.

Revell uses the same interior for the Shelby that they did for my Boss 302. The wood grain decals are a helpful touch but the fit is so finicky I think I'd just paint it next time. The holes cut for the gauges are almost-but-not-quite right. Lots of decal softener made them fit reasonably well.  They do give some nice detail decals for the air cleaner and even the oil filter.

As for weathering the rally car if you haven't got an air brush it will be hard to 'spray' on dust/dirt with a can. You can try flicking paint on by putting some on an old toothbrush or similar stiff bristle device and running your finger over it. The 'spray' will put droplets on the model if done right. Practice first, of course. Small cut pieces of masking tape on the windshield can make wiper tracks.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/14/20 5:20 p.m.

In reply to jmthunderbirdturbo :

That interior looks great.

Here's my update. Primered, but needs a little more putty in a few spots. Then onto Arctic Blue!

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/14/20 5:48 p.m.

I'm waiting until Friday night. 

I intend to head up the parking lot build. cheeky

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/14/20 7:06 p.m.

I keep getti.g cracking in a couple of places. This is supposed to be fun right?

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/14/20 7:10 p.m.

Interior done except for the front seats, because I forgot to smooth out the dang seam between the pieces. Ignore the area under the dash that's two different shades of gray. (Mismatched touch-up paint over blue overspray from the engine bay. I should throw some 1/24 scale fast food wrappers down there to hide it.)

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/14/20 7:40 p.m.

I never thought I would finish early, but thanks to a small part count, and not trying to fix some of the worst of the kit inaccuracies, and weather dry enough to spray lacquer last weekend the Tiger is done. Built to represent the Tiger I would own, so no bumpers and no brake vacuum booster, but remote oil filter for sure. LAT factory option wheels, which the kit did not have. These are the "official entry photos"laugh

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/14/20 7:50 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

I have an airbrush, but no browns or tans to spray, I only have a couple rattle cans of those colors (from some other non-related projects) and I don't think I can get any paints delivered in time. Maybe I'll try spraying some into a cup and then use the airbrush, not too sure?

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/14/20 7:51 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

That looks awesome man, great work!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/14/20 7:56 p.m.

These tiny decals and my sausage fingers, mixed with my poor eyesight is leading me to probably throwing in the towel. 

4/14/20 8:01 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Don't give up! Also, use tweezers with decals not fingers.

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/14/20 8:06 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

+1 on the tweezers, they were the only way I could do them on my build.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/14/20 8:08 p.m.
carczar_84 said:

In reply to Mazdax605 :

+1 on the tweezers, they were the only way I could do them on my build.

Who's idea was it to have to cut the decals out, soak em in water and then separate from the backing? How about adhesive? 

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lJkQoU6mSsIEiVaIlz2HDSsEgkH5opGxTyqcYvbtGNzzai4shbdELCcpQifMZglg