1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/14/20 8:13 p.m.

Well, that escalated quickly.

Just about everything that needs paint on it has been painted. So far, so good, but I ran into a problem on the interior parts. I wanted a flatter satin black for the seats, door panels, and plastics, but the first jar of paint I had really screwed things up. I had another jar of paint that I tried, but there's now a lot of paint on those parts. Hopefully, it will look OK in the end. Tomorrow, I'll probably start gluing bits together and touching up some spots.

I also have sausage fingers and am not looking forward to doing the decals. I'm going to be real careful and use tweezers as well.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/20 8:18 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Tamiya clear flat will do wonders for the interior.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/14/20 8:23 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Good to know for the future! I'm kinda in a "run what ya brung" mode due to shutdowns and the Saturday deadline, but I think I can make it work with what I have.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/14/20 8:28 p.m.

This is clearly a handicap for you guys that have not been model building continuosly, as I have for 60 years. I seldom get stuck for something!

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/14/20 8:28 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Freakin sweet!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/14/20 10:30 p.m.

There's no way I'm making the deadline. Just not enough time, what with work and all. Looking forward to seeing the other stuff all done. 

4/14/20 10:41 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Don't need to finish to enter.

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/14/20 10:47 p.m.

Clean Pre-Dirt photos. I'm pretty happy with the interior and some of the small details like adding the co-driver notes. I've touched up the cage and some other items since these interior shots

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/14/20 11:00 p.m.

Not the greatest of pictures (ran out of daylight), but I figured I'd update.  I'll submit my official final entry tomorrow with everything mounted and some better photos.  I'm on fence about the final results. Like others here, I'm working with what I've got around the house, so rattle cans were the solution. Probably went a little too heavy, but I think it works (it's a rally car after all).  I decided to get creative with having one number plate wiped clean and I like the results. Having never attempted this before and not having built a model since high school I guess I should be happy!

I also ordered up another model, Ford GT GTE. I'll probably stick with a clean look for that one, haha!

4/14/20 11:05 p.m.

In reply to carczar_84 :

Dude!!! That's epic!!!

4/15/20 12:07 a.m.

I was inspired by Days of Thunder

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/15/20 12:18 a.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Thank You! And good call on the ice cream!!

4/15/20 12:40 a.m.

Finally broke out the chrome pen.

And started assembling the motor.

Kanek
Kanek New Reader
4/15/20 12:47 a.m.

Oh wow guys are far along. I got some stuff assembled and primer now on most so hope it's ready to go. 

Ended up with the liquid glue instead of the gel after talking to the hobby store guy when I went for paint and seems to be a good deal with a brush on then sets fast!

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/15/20 6:42 a.m.

The BRAT is a nice kit as I recall. Exhaust system should be bright silver though. Subarus had 413 heat shields welded around the pipes for emissions purposes. I can still remember the incessant 'tinking' sound it made on our '78 wagon.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/15/20 6:45 a.m.

I want to add a big thank you to Javelin and Slowbird for clueing me in to the Molotow chrome pens. I have used Bare Metal foil for 30 years, and gotten some OK results, but it is as fiddly as decals. Molotow pen arrived yesterday noon, and I had a better result in 1/4 the work time on the Tiger. The narrow side molding on the Tiger would have been near impossible with foil. It was easy with a mask and Molotow, and has a better chrome shine as well.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/15/20 9:08 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

I want to add a big thank you to Javelin and Slowbird for clueing me in to the Molotow chrome pens. I have used Bare Metal foil for 30 years, and gotten some OK results, but it is as fiddly as decals. Molotow pen arrived yesterday noon, and I had a better result in 1/4 the work time on the Tiger. The narrow side molding on the Tiger would have been near impossible with foil. It was easy with a mask and Molotow, and has a better chrome shine as well.

I discovered Molotow pens a couple of years ago when I added cars to my modeling interests. They're a great product. You can also get refills for the pens and spray them with an airbrush. I haven't tried that, yet. I've had a troubled relationship with Bare Metal foil over the years. 

4/15/20 4:11 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

You're welcome!

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/15/20 4:52 p.m.

I had to cut masks to follow the pin stripes that go around the blue top. They have a ~1 mm white edge that will cover the rough edges. I wasn't wearing my reading glasses while I painted and didn't notice the rough finish until I saw the photo. Otherwise I could have stopped and added some more thinner to the paint. I'll try to wet sand it tomorrow. I also managed bounce blue paint from the window openings to the radiator ducts from the inside of the body, so those will have to be repainted.angry

I decided to walk away from the Mazda for a while and started the decals on the Platz M6 GT3.

Yelo
Yelo New Reader
4/15/20 6:39 p.m.

In reply to carczar_84 :

Take it from the guy who as mostly rally cars in is stash, your's look real good! Especially knowing how hard that paint scheme could be to do correctly.  Maybe just a thing, tires are reverse rotation on one side. Good work mate! 

Yelo
Yelo New Reader
4/15/20 6:48 p.m.

I'll call this one done, good thing since, as expected, boss man called this morning around 10h and wanted me back at work ASAP.  Since I was out of work since early Janurary, I let everything there and go, was nice to earn some $$$. 

I still work on a little side project and hope to get it done in time to meet the dead line, we'll see....

I'll have better pics sooner or later, this one is just to prove I didn't use any of the parts of the donor car...

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/15/20 8:06 p.m.

More progress tonight!

I'm really happy with how the engine came together. There are some interesting choices with the kit: the manifolds are the Ram Air-style ones from the early 60's 421SD cars, which is funny to see in a '79 kit. These are the ones I want to put in my 1:1 model Trans Am! Also, the valve covers were too "chrome", so I dulled them to look like stock W72 400 ones with some chrome paint. Came out perfect!

The itsy bitsy shaker is ADORABLE!!!

Chassis is basically done and painted. Pretty happy with how that came out for the most part.

After some more touch-up, the body looks OK. There are some definite flaws and drip marks, but it looks pretty decent, I think. Once the birds go on and I do some detail work, it should pop.

I didn't get a shot of the interior yet, but it's ok. Seats are a little messy, but the dash came out nice. Hoping to have most of the kit together tomorrow.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/15/20 8:12 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to carczar_84 :

Dude!!! That's epic!!!

Totally epic. Love it!

4/15/20 8:59 p.m.

Dude looks epic!

4/15/20 10:46 p.m.

Second coat of terracotta down, engine completed, hatch underside painted. Off screen I glued the front grill in. Not much left now, just the final coat of the terracotta color, a little bit of chrome, and final assembly.

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r0KXd22S2b9HBRHzZrQlsRKKfCyOrCrmR72wCCS9DQxUrT23VoNYdHeWJO4iQ4K8