1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16
carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/16/20 12:02 a.m.

In reply to Yelo :

Thanks I really appreciate that. It would have been a lot easier with the right color, or paint for that matter with an airbrush, but the more I step back and look at it, I'm pretty happy. I caught the tire direction after posting the pic, guess I rushed to throw them back together after having them off to do the dirt/grit spray.

The Porsche looks great, those wheels with the paint color really work!

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
4/16/20 8:32 a.m.

Just wanted to drop in to let you guys know how much I've been enjoying this thread.  Can't wait to see the "final results".  

Yelo
Yelo New Reader
4/16/20 11:09 a.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Thanks! As an avid modeler and lead organizer of the local model show, a big part of my fun is sharing and showing my work and seeing that people enjoy seeing what we do as modelers...

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/16/20 11:12 a.m.

Look how good I did, guys!! Guys?? 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
4/16/20 12:05 p.m.

In reply to Yelo :

I normally would have joined myself, but I didn't see the thread until late, I didn't have anything "in the hopper" I was excited about/ready to go on and I'm currently up to my neck in building a model railroad for my son.  (Info on that here: bad things that can happen when you open Nickd's railroad thread)

EDIT:  Also, as you can see from the model railroad thread, I'm TERRIBLE at taking pictures of finished products. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/16/20 1:25 p.m.

Interior work. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/16/20 1:33 p.m.

Okay I glued the steering column to the dash upside down. How do I fix this? I glued this two days ago! 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/16/20 1:42 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

I would try the following, I'm kind of a hack though.

1. Wiggle it vigorously
2. take a sturdy dull razor knife that won't break (or similar item) and try to wedge it in there and pry it apart
3. Workaround: take some scrap plastic or thick paper and use it to cover up the hole in the column so you can't tell it's upside-down

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/16/20 1:47 p.m.
slowbird said:

In reply to Mazdax605 :

I would try the following, I'm kind of a hack though.

1. Wiggle it vigorously
2. take a sturdy dull razor knife that won't break (or similar item) and try to wedge it in there and pry it apart
3. Workaround: take some scrap plastic or thick paper and use it to cover up the hole in the column so you can't tell it's upside-down

I have to flip it over because the steering wheel and column look dumb at that angle because of the forward control layout. Thanks for the suggestions. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/16/20 2:40 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

This is one of the reasons I use CA instead of "plastic model glue". It is easier to break apart when this happens. We all have done it too.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/16/20 3:48 p.m.

I'm not sure if that tiny Tamiya can holds enough paint for me to keep trying until I get this thing looking right, but it'll be a pretty blue even if it ain't smooth.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/16/20 5:05 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Mazdax605 :

This is one of the reasons I use CA instead of "plastic model glue". It is easier to break apart when this happens. We all have done it too.

What is CA?

Good news, I was able to get it fixed. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/20 5:08 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

CA is cynoacrylate, better known as super glue.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/16/20 5:21 p.m.

Though not built for this contest/challenge/show I finished the Boss 302 today. Just uploaded a video of it.

Revell 1969 Boss 302 build review

Above average quality kit. Has a few flaws that the experienced modeler can easily remedy. This one turned out so well I ordered another kit today though it will be the MPC '73 Mustang which is 1) a reissue of an old kit with lots of wrong things and 2) something I won't build stock. I have a plan for it as a race car that will involve painting three colors. wink

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
4/16/20 5:35 p.m.

Just read through this thread, totally missed it the first time, so absolutely no time to get one together.

But, if we have another, I'm going to seriously consider it.  I have one Revell R50 MINI Cooper model I bought around the time I bought my new 2003 MINI and don't really want to mess it up without a spare.  That brought up a question I figured you guys could answer.

Where do you buy your model kits and how do you search for them?  I'd kinda like to do a BMW 1-series model for my son, but searching BMW 1-series model (or variations) brings up info about the actual car, not a kit.  Tried model kit with similar results.  What are these called other than model kits?  Is there a trusted site to find weird and interesting kits?  I suppose I could hit up the local WallyWorld, but assume the selection will be nil and/or geared towards cars I wouldn't be interested in.  Plus, if I can maybe support a business by ordering online, I'd rather do that.  Because I'll need paint and glue, too....

Oh, and these builds are freaking awesome!! 

-Rob

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/16/20 5:50 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 : I prefer gel super glue to the liquid type. You have better control over where it goes, especially if you use a toothpick to put little dabs where you need it.

Looks like I won't be able to finish my 767b in time for the deadline. I have to go back and repaint a couple of spots. angry

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/16/20 6:13 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

I usually go to eBay, because there's a lot more old unbuilt kits out there than new kits being produced.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Automotive-Models-Kits/2580/bn_1927680

There's also a number of sites that specialize in selling kits and accessories. They'll have the new stuff, some of the old stuff, and some have specialty stuff like home-made resin kits. Here's a few I know of and would not be afraid to order from:

https://www.modelroundup.com/
https://www.autoworldstore.com/
https://www.mikesdecals.com/
http://stores.smhracing.com/

I know there's others out there, these are just the ones I can remember.

The last time I saw any model kits in Walmart was last year, and it was seemingly a one-time display, i.e. they weren't there for long. Before that it had been 10 years since Walmart had them around here.

Yelo
Yelo New Reader
4/16/20 6:30 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

you might want to look at:

https://www.scalemates.com/

if it exist, their is a good chance it's listed there. Then search for what you want with brand and model vi Google.  They can be call scale model too

Trazdad
Trazdad New Reader
4/16/20 6:31 p.m.

This is the RX-7 I was working on. It's finished, except for a small motor that's wasn't included i the kit.

Yelo
Yelo New Reader
4/16/20 6:34 p.m.

Guess I could call that the 24/7 project!  Or the father and son toys!  But I did the little one ro go with the Porsche yesterday and today....

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/16/20 6:41 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

Besides the links Slowbird and Yelo have listed I have also had very good experiences with www.bnamodelworld.com, They are in Australia and have many Asian and eastern European items seldom seen here in the US. Exchange rate is currently very favorable too.  That said I do not think the 1 series has been done as a kit. If anyone does it will likely be Revell-Germany.  

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/20 7:01 p.m.

In reply to Yelo :

I got one of those little tykes cars for Christmas.  I should have done that this week.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/16/20 7:06 p.m.

I found a unbuilt 1985 Fiero GT model and a Integra GSR Tuner kit..  I bought the Tegra because I wanted the wheels for the Fiero.  I may have to build one next time around..  I would do the Teg first to remember how as it's been a while and the Fiero has some sentimental value.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/16/20 8:16 p.m.
nocones said:

I found a unbuilt 1985 Fiero GT model and a Integra GSR Tuner kit..  I bought the Tegra because I wanted the wheels for the Fiero.  I may have to build one next time around..  I would do the Teg first to remember how as it's been a while and the Fiero has some sentimental value.

I built that model back in the day. Even had the snorkle intake.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/16/20 8:19 p.m.

Base coat on. Flat white. Learned this from ScaleAuto. Goes on smoother and dries quicker.

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EeA520mNhUeGgzMfP3wR9TGf5Ixb7WNVVxCLVw3FpYu3Xw86PXiWB35LKOKKVuMq