1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16
ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/16/20 8:31 p.m.

@rob_lewis if you can't find it on Ebay it may not exist. You could also look for die casts. I've taken the random Burago and disassembled, painted and detailed it. They can often be made into convincing models.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/16/20 8:36 p.m.

MOAR PROGRESS!!!

Interior came out just ok. Seats came out like poop. I'll pretend that they are velour or some amateur recovered them terribly. Yeah, that's it!

Engine is in the car, and I completed the chassis (no pics of the underside, sorry). One thing I noticed: the battery is on the wrong side! Camaros have them on the passenger side, while Firebirds have them on the right. Too late to fix that now, and that's where the instructions said to put it.

Body, save for the side mirrors and the nose, is assembled. It's far from perfect, but it'll do. Getting the rear spoiler on there was a real PITA! The side splitters surprisingly went on easy.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping for final assembly. At some point, I'll have to add some final details (door handle and nose crest paint, for example) but I'm hoping to have it done for Saturday.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/16/20 8:57 p.m.

Both the cars I am building move forward rather poorly.  At least I finally removed all the old paint from the Avanti.   (Go Spray 9 FTW!) I am lacking inspiration or creativity.  What ever.  Move forward. Don't look back.  It's only plastic.  Currently watching "Battlespace" on Tubi.  What a B movie.  cheeky  Back to the cars.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/20 10:00 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

How did I make it to 36 (and owned 2 F-bodies) and NOT known that GM was stupid enough to put the batteries on different sides of the same dang car?!?

Model looks great BTW. The seats will be hidden in the car anyway. FWIW, on model cars never do a black interior. Light colored and bright/rare interiors are more visually interesting and tend to photograph and display better (and thus win shows more often and get into magazines). Your paint job is looking really nice!

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/16/20 10:34 p.m.

And I'm calling it done! Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement, it means a lot. There are a lot of awesome builds in this thread, very cool seeing everyone giving this a try. I learned a lot, and I'm actually looking forward to building another one soon.

This really was a great distraction from all the insanity of the current moment, and a great way for me at least to decompress a little every day. 

Keep on coming with the awesome work, I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's finished product!

Kanek
Kanek New Reader
4/17/20 1:13 a.m.

Whelp yellow is definitely hard to get right with these fiddly little cars...

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/20 6:21 a.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

I think it depends on if the engine was a Chevy or Pontiac/Oldsmobile.  My father had a string of 80s Impalas I think the battery could have been on either side depending on which side the starter was on. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
4/17/20 6:24 a.m.

Will there be a second thread for finished cars, or are we posting finished photos here?

4/17/20 9:26 a.m.
buzzboy said:

Will there be a second thread for finished cars, or are we posting finished photos here?

Post them up here.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/17/20 9:30 a.m.

Midnight on the 18th?  I have been having paint issues.

Daeldalus
Daeldalus Reader
4/17/20 10:52 a.m.

I will make this my official entry.

I wanted to do white but i couldn't get it to turn out right. On the plus side the purple looks really good.

This was fun. Lots of work but fun. I made quite a few mistakes and learned a bit. Thanks for motivation guys.

noddaz
4/17/20 11:59 a.m.
carczar_84 said:

And I'm calling it done! Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement, it means a lot. There are a lot of awesome builds in this thread, very cool seeing everyone giving this a try. I learned a lot, and I'm actually looking forward to building another one soon.

This really was a great distraction from all the insanity of the current moment, and a great way for me at least to decompress a little every day. 

Keep on coming with the awesome work, I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's finished product!

Wow.  That looks great!

(Psst, you have some dirt in the paint but I don't think anyone will notice.)

4/17/20 12:09 p.m.
Aaron_King said:

Midnight on the 18th?  I have been having paint issues.

Yup. Pick your timezone too, lol.

4/17/20 12:10 p.m.

In reply to Daeldalus :

The purple is awesome!

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/17/20 12:12 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Daeldalus :

The purple is awesome!

+1!!!

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
4/17/20 2:11 p.m.

Tamiya Ferrari F189 Portuguese GP with Nigel Mansel behind the wheel. No tire sponsor because the 31 year old stickers weren't having it.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/17/20 2:49 p.m.

We're getting close now.

I had A LOT of trouble getting the nose on the car. The interior tub was too wide at the firewall and pushing the fenders out, so I had to remove it, shave down the firewall, and get it close. Then, I had to zip tie the front end together while the glue dried. The paint got screwed up at the joints, so I'll have to do some touching up. Next time, I'll fit the firewall and tub before I'll start gluing. The outer wheels also keep falling off no matter how many times I glue them; I may have to resort to double sided tape. I also need to paint some small details, like the black window trim, the door handles, and a few other spots. After that, it's decal time.

alfabeach
alfabeach New Reader
4/17/20 4:06 p.m.

Wish I still had the stock one.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/17/20 4:22 p.m.

Here's a better shot before I ruin everything trying to apply the decals.

Going with the blue ones, by the way. Wouldn't look right with the gold (although that was an option on blue cars) and the red is weird without a red interior.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
4/17/20 4:52 p.m.

The aestetic of that packaging is amazing!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/17/20 6:44 p.m.

In reply to carczar_84 :

Dang. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/17/20 6:50 p.m.

Can we have a "We're not worthy" class? If so, that's where I'm playing. But this got me involved, so thank you, everyone, for this. Fun times. 

This was my first model build since college, so more than a year or so ago. It's a Testors metal model--no paint, no glue. Perfect for me. It's also what I had here on hand. 

​​​​​​​

4/17/20 7:08 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Glue doesn't stick to the chrome. You need to scrape or sand off the chrome where it goes together to get a good join.

noddaz
4/17/20 7:31 p.m.

I am just sitting here waiting for paint to dry.  At least I am not watching paint dry.  The bodies are hanging in my garage where I can't see them.

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/17/20 10:30 p.m.

In reply to Daeldalus :

White may not have worked out, but the purple is sweet!!

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3yQxOpxZY6oKdn7ECI0t5rN2HmHFsOxPh6rZgoY4barvnFSOOuxAfdVh6efxej43